anovos droid caller

You're missing something. :)

an at least somewhat accurate replica of a Kobold flash for $100 isn't bad, considering how much a correct original costs nowadays. Making several parts for a fraction of the price is possible I'm sure. but for accurate aluminum parts, the CAD work, setup fees, tooling, prototyping to make sure everything is correct and fits together would cost way more than $100 in time, energy, resources, etc. So I'm good with just clicking a button and having one show up a few days later.

Oh I got mixed up, I was thinking comlink. My bad.
You're missing something. :)

an at least somewhat accurate replica of a Kobold flash for $100 isn't bad, considering how much a correct original costs nowadays. Making several parts for a fraction of the price is possible I'm sure. but for accurate aluminum parts, the CAD work, setup fees, tooling, prototyping to make sure everything is correct and fits together would cost way more than $100 in time, energy, resources, etc. So I'm good with just clicking a button and having one show up a few days later.

Picked one up today for $99CAD new from Toy Traders in Langley, BC; glad I held off on ordering direct from Anovos. Anyone else in the Greater Vancouver Area want one they should have more stock; at least one in the display case, mine was in the back.

Only thing that would make this better for me is if it had a buzzer.

I ordered it on Feb, 20 and got it exactly a week later on the 27th.

All in all, it's really nice quality. the black part isn't the textured crackle paint, but I knew that before I ordered.
81966db71975324bcb00ae7e05e32c3d.jpg

f90dc8a1b196ce55fb93818d6db2710b.jpg

3d39280132713d9cc8c1e2664f151a0b.jpg

0362176929f79ac1912006812084f021.jpg

cd36403c131353e6bf56ccd0d1271c5c.jpg

Last edited:
Necroing an older thread, sorry.

My one objection to these is they don't have the brass pin inside the cavity in the top. Looks really barren in there. Anyone come up with a good solution, or source for the internal pin? I've tried to get DEC to sell me a couple spares from their kit, but so far dmachinist has not been willing...

Necroing an older thread, sorry.

My one objection to these is they don't have the brass pin inside the cavity in the top. Looks really barren in there. Anyone come up with a good solution, or source for the internal pin? I've tried to get DEC to sell me a couple spares from their kit, but so far dmachinist has not been willing...

I have DEC and the Anovos. Seems like you could find something like a thick brass nail or something that you could modify and stick it through a black plastic disk. Worse case, it seems like simple 3D design you could probably make with the shapeways online design apps.

I have DEC and the Anovos. Seems like you could find something like a thick brass nail or something that you could modify and stick it through a black plastic disk. Worse case, it seems like simple 3D design you could probably make with the shapeways online design apps.

I'd rather avoid 3D printed stuff if possible Not a big fan in general. (this from someone who owns a 3D printer) They have their place, but metal would be best for this.

Yes, perhaps a brass nail, ground down. Although not sure where to find one...

I'd rather avoid 3D printed stuff if possible Not a big fan in general. (this from someone who owns a 3D printer) They have their place, but metal would be best for this.

Yes, perhaps a brass nail, ground down. Although not sure where to find one...

for the record, I meant 3D print in metal via shapeways.

btw, I notice that the tongue studs on hot topics site could make a good post. You would have to snip the screw threading off and paint as I do not believe the make stuff like that in brass but it has a flat base and cheap.

Looks like this thread has been dead for quite some time, but seeing as I haven't found a discussion on this elsewhere, I figured I'd try to revive it.

I've gone ahead and roughed my droid caller up with various abrasives and used some oxidizers to help antique the aluminum.
IMG_5189.JPGIMG_4775.JPGIMG_9492.JPG

Very happy with how it's looking - but I'm in complete agreement with some of the earlier posters who mentioned that top opening looking really bare. It's been tough to find a decent reference image that gives us a better look at that area, but I did find one...
20160824085307-fa6059bb.jpg

I wandered the hardware store for a little bit and grabbed a piece of plumbing hardware (I think it's a lavatory connection) that looks like it could do the trick. It definitely has a techy look to it and has the same sort of brass and silver coloring. Going to weather it a bit and drill out a hole to mount it. The other thing that's nice about it is that it has a decent amount of weight to it, which will help the overall piece feel a bit more substantial.

You can see the piece laying inside of the opening below. Right now it sticks out too far, but once I drill the mounting hole it should sit nice and flush with the outer lip.
IMG_9031.JPGIMG_3993.JPG

Last edited:
That particular reference image, unfortunately, isn't the best choice for this. It's a ******* droid caller, as you can see by the funky heat sink on the outside. I don't recall the provenance but it may have been something they just threw together for the display? (Edit: Some more info here: http://partsofsw.com/handcrotj.htm)

It's hard to find reference photos that show clearly, as you saw, BUT the actual Kobold flash handle can be found, well-documented, online. Also you can look at dmachinist's replica (at the Dark Energy Creations website). IIRC the part inside is not a socket, but a simple brass pin, used to create a simple electrical contact. IIRC it's sort of shaped like a golf tee, sticking out of disc, and entirely brass. I'll see if I can dig up some good reference photos somewhere, since I can't find mine at the moment.

You can see DEC's brass contact here: http://darkenergycreations.com/droidcallerkit.aspx My understanding is this is pretty much how the original Kobolds were made. Some pics of a pretty accurate looking 3D model here, too: https://www.shapeways.com/product/79HDXP3RY/droid-caller-metal-parts?optionId=61781853

Last edited:
Kman, appreciate you jumping in here - especially before I started drilling up my droid caller! I'm grateful to you for clearly being more knowledgeable about this piece than I am. I'm actually not familiar with Dark Energy Creations, but his kit looks absolutely incredible. Wish I would have known about him before forking out the money on the Anovos version, despite getting a great deal on it. Thanks again!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back