ANOVOS Captain Picard Jacket (Alternate Uniform aka: PNNUJ)

AshGL1914

Sr Member

ANOVOS has replicated one of my all-time favorite uniform pieces – Captain Picard’s Jacket.

We were able to examine a screen used Picard Jacket, and after that just HAD to make it.
It uses the same materials and precise same construction as the original jacket (only adding a full length zipper for enhanced wear-ability).

Now, I’ve wanted to wear that jacket ever since I first saw it in “Darmok”, and I’m thrilled that we’re making it now.

Recently an old high school friend reminded me that I had even created a name for that jacket that stuck among our friends;“The PNNUJ”, which stood for “Picard’s Nifty New Uniform Jacket”. I tried for about 5 minutes to get ANOVOS to call it that…oh well.

Anyway, it’s awesome (if I do say so myself), and I can’t wait to wear mine!

John

Last edited:
We're entertaining the idea of bringing out the complete uniform, but some things to bear in mind.

1: What is worn beneath the jacket is not simpley an undershirt, but a rather a full uniform tunic in its own right. One that uses a very specific and very distinctly patterned material on the yolk. If you look the ribs are not all the same width but are a repeating pattern of thin and then wider ribs. And that material is no longer made.

2: The uniform does not use the standard TNG pants, but is instead a somewhat simpler version of the Star Trek II to Star Trek:Generations uniform pants

To complete the uniform we would have to do both the grey tunic and the pants, we're looking at a complete 3 piece uniform, and all of the costs that go with it (including most likely having the tunic's yolk material custom made for us).

John

Last edited:
And that's why I'm holding off, despite really being tempted to get one at ThinkGeek for 30% off. If an ensemble is being considered, I'd rather hold off and have all the pieces fit together. While the jacket is fantastic, the entire uniform rests on the shoulders of the undershirt (literally), the pants are also of a different nature than what is to be planned for now.

Of course as the jacket is already out, the uniform tunic and undershirt would still be sold separate items.
The jacket itself wasn't designed solely as a costume piece, but was instead intended to be a screen accurate piece that people might wear as a stand alone jacket which is why its at Thinkgeek to begin with. So there is really no reason at all to wait for the jacket especially if its 30% off! That's a good deal.

John

I almost bought it at ThinkGeek with the 30% off code, but that zipper throws me off. It doesnt seem like the real deal had it?

10351525_10153089360597519_8712826138550303589_n.jpg

LOL. The zipper was added to the jacket to make it more functional (in fact ThinkGeek asked for the zipper).

The original had only a sequence of five hooks and eyes to close only the bottom of the coat. (Picard wore it open most of the time, and the only instance of the bottom being closed off the top of my head was in "Unification I").
P511_15.jpg
As stated before, this jacket was not only intended as a costume piece but also as a functional jacket that could be worn outside of "costume occasions".

It is a standard line offering and as such things like the zipper closure are accepted variations that enhance the wear-ability of the piece.

Really, the zipper is really not that invasive and if one wished could have the jacket easily altered by any competent tailor and have the zipper removed...but why? There isn't a worse stich counter here when it comes to Star Trek than me, and actually (though resistant at first) I prefer the jacket with the zipper after wearing mine for a number of months.

We may someday (unlikely as most seem to like the jacket as it is), offer a Premier version of the Picardagan, and that of course would be a "perfect" replica of the original warts (and hooks and eyes) and all.
H3257-L40393890.jpg

John

Last edited:
That's what I thought. Thanks for the reply, I get what your saying. As an individual that would require a small I'm worried the zipper will be extra visible, even so, I do still kinda want one.

Also, I haven't heard the term "Picardigan" before, that cracked me up. Lol.

Sooo not trying to make a sale here (ThinkGeek already bought it), so let me preach for a second if you'll indulge me.

First, the zipper isn't really obtrusive. It's tucked back behind a welt on both sides, and the zipper pull can be tucked in (and I know one person who removed the pull to good effect).

Second, and this is something I'm always on about.

WEAR THE STUFF YOU LIKE, WHENEVER YOU LIKE.

We don't design stuff to sit under glass like one of The Batman's old costumes, or only to be trotted out during convention season or (shudder) Halloween.
We design it to be worn. The stuff we make is durable and meant to stand up to everyday wear. So wear it. Life is short. "On a long enough timeline everybody's survivability rate drops to zero."
You know one (just one-I'm not in charge) of the reasons this jacket is out now? I wanted to wear it. I've always wanted one. There are other reasons of course but when Got Maul said "Hey, what about Picard's Jacket?" I jumped at it.

Now this next part might seem weird...but I wear our stuff all the time.
I grew up slightly punk, and the only residue of that (other than the DM1460s I'll most likely die wearing) is that I have a tendency to wear whatever I feel like wearing whether that's a vintage concert t-shirt or a 1969 Star Trek tunic.
If I like it I wear it.

And so I have a tendency to field test most of our stuff. I can tell you not only how they will perform in most conditions, but how others (read: normal people) react to these items in public.

I've worn everything from a TOS tunic to the very Picardigan we're discussing, and I have never once gotten or even overheard a disparaging comment. Now I'm not recommending that anyone hit the town in a full TNG uniform, but I have rocked my PNNUJ (usually paired with a grey t-shirt weight hoodie and TNG combadge be honest - it just wouldn't look right without it) in some of the trendiest places in LA and Las Vegas and gotten complement after complement. Most want to know if what I'm wearing is original, and if not where can they one like it?

The take away?
If you want it, wear it.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
How tricky is it for a tailor to custom fit this?

I took the plunge with TG (even got an extra 25% off the $209). I'm 6'4" and ordered and XL. I have a 44" chest but on Anovos' sizing chart a 44" chest would be a large. Practically everything I own is in XL...

Another weird thing is on the sizing chart, body length for the Picard jacket's smallest size is 25" and my measurement (measuring with proper technique, as described) was about 22". And again, I am 6'4" and evenly porportioned.

Finally, the screen-used coat on Mr. Stewart appears to fit snug, and short. Almost as if he would have a hard time closing it if it had a zipper. Granted, this was certainly very custom-tailored to achieve a specific, desired look...

So my thought (concern) is that the XL will fit/appear larger on me than the screen-used coat fits Stewart.

Hence the question - how easily tailored is this jacket?

It is actually larger (though it is still very much like an Eisenhower Jacket), Sir Pat was a very small Dude.

More over, you're right. The original jacket has a "V" cut opening and can not actually be closed beyond the bottom. We made ours so that it could be closed if the wearer wished.

As for alterations, any competent tailor should have no problem with the jacket.

John

Yeah the original seems almost more like a sweater, not meant to be closed. I think some Anovos verbiage hints at that somewhere. On your jacket, John, it looks like if it were unzipped, it would hand larger and looser than Stewart's, which seems to remain snug even when undone.

Comments on the body length measurement...?

With an XL I should have enough material to dupluicate the look of the original (via customer tailoring).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back