Another Thorin Oakenshield Costume - The Hobbit

Back scabbards look so cool but are so impractical. :p

No, I made a con-safe Sting from foam and worbla. Though I do have a lot of other real swords - I took swordfighting lessons for years. But no movie replica ones (yet).

I haven't entirely decided what I'll make it from yet. I have a friend who made a scabbard for his plastic version of Glamdring so I'm going to pick his brain. I think he used cardboard (lined with felt, covered with pleather), but I could be wrong. It was a few years ago, and I know at one point he was talking about using thin plywood, but I think he ended up using cardboard instead (because he already had it so it was free!). I will have to look at some tutorials and figure out the best method for me.

I had actually typed up a rant on how the heck has Thorin supposed to draw Orchrist fast from a back scabbard with how it's connected to the baldric, the length of the blade and his dwarfy arms, much less put it away. But I cut it. I don't have the DVD of the last movie yet but did you know I could not find any actually footage of him drawing i in the first two moviest? Or re-sheathing it? Points for cool and the actual practicality of having a long sword on the back for travelling because it won't be slapping your leg constantly as you walk. Minus points for, you know. Verisimilitude.

Yeah. I've a set of schlager rapiers in Japan, but people get so antsy and weird about STEEL, I dunno that I'll ever use them for anything other than fencing (of course) and photoshoots. Never mind they are tipped with a huge ridic orange button. It's a pity, I'm working on an Aramis costume from the truly terrible 2011 movie.

Cardboard, hm. I'd try that. I'd probably over engineer it, being me, to the point that it'd be laminated varnish and cardboard equivalent to actual wood. Thin plywood... hm, how? the 1/8 inch or veneer can be curved and steamed but for the odd shape of Sting's sheath at the tip, it might be tough. I've tried steaming veneer and it's hard to do and it warped then cracked. And I am not ashamed to admit that particular project ended in rage with me, the veneer and a blow torch and the fire pit. Good luck with the material of your choice.

Last edited:
Orchrist's baldric

I found a place in Japan that carried extra long belt blanks for guitar straps and got that. While also moaning that I hoped it would get to my place in time (time to convention running out) and cursing myself for doing projects that involve leather working.

I tooled that sucker furiously when it came in and got it done in an evening.

For the aged, pebbly look, hitting it with tools or whatever wasn't quite working, so I took the belt outside, found a decorative concrete planter edging that had a gravelly top, laid it on top and jumped up and down on it. The I picked out bits of rock that embedded in the leather. Worked perfectly; my proudest leather working moment.

The fittings were sculpted and cast in a flurry - the belt casting, when I pulled it free, was actually not very good compared to the sculpt. But, no time! I embedded a large buckle into the resin for that piece. Prime, paint, added touches to colour to simulate blued steel and I called them done. I was so short on time that when I found I didn't have rivets in the correct size for the belt tip, I just snipped off some nails, shoved them in and glued it all together.

Progress pic before I aged-painted the leather.

After age-painting and finishing, done with acrylic paints over the leather dye.

Belt buckle roughness aside, I was happy to get this thing together. One thing I found at that convention was the wood scabbard dragged the whole rig askew, and I wound up adding a punched piece of leather to the bottom of the baldric and tying it off to a thong that went through a slit in my pant's leg and around my thigh. ANOTHER reason back scabbards suck. There should be something like in these rigs - a leather belt around the waist, or a thigh band to keep it in place. Now y'all know.

Right, almost at the end of the build notes. There's the non-canon-ish bag I made, and that's about it, aside from boring details of makeup. Oh, and more cosplay pics.

Last edited:
I love how you textured the leather! Super clever, and also hilariously awesome.

I'm thinking cardboard will probably be the way to go for Sting's scabbard, but I will have to do some investigating. I'll have to see if my friend is free this weekend so I can see how he made his scabbard, and I'll have to start collecting reference photos. I didn't bother when I was making Sting for my earlier con because I knew I wouldn't have time to make it before then - I finished Sting the night before, and sewed the hair pads onto my shoes the morning of, lol.

Production-inspired bag

One of the things I'd noted from the first movie, back when all the dwarves still had nice gear and loads of it (like, where did Thorin use that bow he had in some pics? Does he ever use that axe or did he bury it in a Warg skull while they were being chased and leave it behind?) was that they all had nice packs and bags. Thorin had something interesting he was carrying around, but you never get any good screen shots of it. When the Weta book came in, I eagerly searched for more hero-accessories, but was disappointed. They featured other Dwarf's packs, but not his. Blurry screen shots it was for reference, then.

The Weta book did state in the section about Dwarf belongings that Thorin's bedroll was a royal looking thing that had posh gold thread, ooh la la, but that's all I learned. In the screen shots, you can see it's draped over a sort of satchel/messenger bag style thing. The only details of the bag itself was that it had fur, and probably a leather strap. You can see the bedroll lavishly draped over it, along with the oak shield with a belt threaded through its straps (mine has a carrying strap on it that unclips which is simpler). The last pic is the only decent shot I have of the bag. Looks like leather with a decoration, and that hairy bottom.

Well, hairy bottom bag it was then.

I toyed with the idea of making the bedroll, wondered when I'd ever use such a thing again and decided against it. Instead, I decided to combine the two things into one sort-canon bag. It would have the blue and gold idea of the bedroll, some leather, and the fur.

Thorin's Hairy Man-bag Purse thing

The pattern I went for was based on a messenger bag, and rather than worry about getting new materials for it, it was made up of scraps from the rest of the costume.

Pleather - from scraps of Thorin's leather outer robe.
Blue velvet, pieced - from scraps of the blue velvet long waistcoat.
Fur - from the fake fur collar of the leather robe, the one I pulled off and replaced with real fur.
Lining - From potential lining for the armour (I eventually used one that had a smaller pattern, and this is a traditional Japanese festival print that still has that Dwarven aesthetic.)
Backing for the embroidery - from leftover blue wool of Bard The Bowman's loose trousers.
Leather for the shoulder (not very Hobbit-movie-ish but darned if I want that strap cutting into my neck) - from leftovers of making the belt.

New items - 100 yen elastic, 220 yen worth of blue canvas strapping. The gold thread was a lucky strike - a shop was selling off 5000 m spools for 1000 yen and I took a chance - and it's the best embroidery thread in gold I've ever had - no breaking or fraying. The gold cord was something I've had in my closet for ages, but you can bet I wouldn't have paid much for it, and it has metal content so it won't fade or melt.

r

The bag is fairly big - I do lots of fan book shopping and the bottom will hold a B5 fan book laid flat, and then you can stack 20 pounds more of books on top. The pocket is NECESSARY. I don't have pockets anywhere else on the costume, not even on the pants. A shame, but it'd be a chore getting past all the other layers to reach them anyway.

The bag went together fairly quickly, aside from the embroidery. (Had to reinstall my pirated embroidery software - never ever buy Husqvarna unless you are a software thief like me. Each square took about 15 minutes or so for the machine to do). Out of the thousands of patterns I have, I tested about ten (used the rest to make little medieval pouches to sell) and decided on this one. Celtic, sort of Dwarfish, good enough. The blue velvet and gold echoes the thematic idea of the draped bedroll; the pleather and fur imitate the actual satchel Thorin carries. I applied the squares of embroidery to the velvet with the same gold thread in a thick zigzag stitch.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the more I look at it, the better it seems, and I'll probably use it for school or whatever when winter rolls around. This is Tokyo, and mad accessories are the least of fashion choices here. It's barbaric and rich-looking and that's cool enough for me.

Anyway, there you have it - the last item made for the costume. Like the bag I made for the Bard costume, it's not a real thing the character has, but it matches the costume in style and is worthy to be carried at conventions without one looking stupid for having (as I've done already while in Thorin costume and dragging a wheeled suitcase because the bag check was full) a Sherlock printed bag or similar. Mind you, several people did want to know where I'd got the Sherlock bag, and I directed them to the artist's stuff on Society 6.

I s'pose the last post will be a couple of notes on make-up, such as it is, and the other accessories, which were all purchased.

Thanks for reading!

I really, really like the bag (and I love that you call it a hairy man-purse, lol). The embroidery is gorgeous, and I cannot get over how beautiful that lining fabric is. I seriously wish I could go to Japan just to shop for fabric!

If I ever get around to remaking parts of my Bilbo costume, I will replace the thrifted skirt with one that I make that has actual pockets. There are a couple of pockets in the jacket, but I don't want to carry much in them because the fabric is pretty lightweight so anything that's not small and flat shows up in pictures. And I need to keep one of them empty so I can put the One Ring in it and don't have to dig around to find it. ;)

I really, really like the bag (and I love that you call it a hairy man-purse, lol). The embroidery is gorgeous, and I cannot get over how beautiful that lining fabric is. I seriously wish I could go to Japan just to shop for fabric!

If I ever get around to remaking parts of my Bilbo costume, I will replace the thrifted skirt with one that I make that has actual pockets. There are a couple of pockets in the jacket, but I don't want to carry much in them because the fabric is pretty lightweight so anything that's not small and flat shows up in pictures. And I need to keep one of them empty so I can put the One Ring in it and don't have to dig around to find it. ;)

Well, if you ever really hanker for the Japanese prints, they do nice ones. The stuff I used for lining is a med-heavish weight cotton, the print for the festival haoris is usually white on colours like green, blue and others. They do fantastic quilt fabrics with so many things from cute to elegant. Was at fabric store today (one of the pricier ones) and the med weight ones range from 580 yen to 780, I think? I wasn't paying attention. You don't find them for much cheaper since they are a touch specialized. That silver polyester one lining the blue velvet robe was 780 yen I think, but I really really wanted it. But there's always surface shipping to Canada, so it'd be somewhat cheaper at least, tho takes forever. Mind, you might find the prints in Canada for a decent price. I know my mom like the quilting cottons and they carry those in Canada. And there's all the obi fabrics, etc. But if you ever did get to Japan, Nippori station in Tokyo has Fabric Town - about 30 small to mid size shops. It's where the fashion students go to pick up cheap fabrics. When I go home on vacation, I always pick up 200-500 yen wools for friends. I mean, really, $2 for wools? Fan bloody tastic. This one shop which is tiny and has a fast revolving stock due to the fact nothing is over 300 yen often has odd things, like this silk-cotton that was dyed in real indigo. 200 yen. (I didn't buy it because I couldn't think of a reason and my storage is stuffed.) For some fabrics, in Nippori, it's so much cheaper than bloody Fabric-sodding-land.

I love my hairy man-bag. I shall carry and pet it.

But absolute yes to pockets in costumes! I put one in the Bard coat because it's so annoying not to have one. (And I didn't think of putting any in the pants, ugh, my thinking is so medieval at times.)

And double yes to having the One Ring convenient! Must have Precious ready to pull out and use when needed.

The fabric availability where I live is terrible, ugh. At some point I hope to make a trip to the fabric districts in Montreal or Toronto to see what I can find. In the meantime, I'm planning a trip to the States soon to check out JoAnn's Fabric, since I can't find half of what I need for costumes at the Fabricland here. :(

Someday I'd love to visit Japan! I actually have a friend going in a couple of months. Maybe I'll see if she's willing to bring me back something, lol.

There's a good section for fabric shops in Hamilton as well. Montreal I can't speak to, but Toronto's fabric district isn't bad. JoAnn's fabrics used to be better, imop as a former cross border shopper. They started branching out into more crafts, quilts and home decor and ya know, I'd rather just go to a plain fabric shop sometimes? And they could carry more fabric and fewer glue guns and stuff? Research the shops first, I guess.

Right, last notes.

Muscle Suit - I started out with nothing but a T-shirt that I sewed pieces of heavy floor mat tiles to, in order to broaden the shoulders and help support that heavy, heavy armour. The issue was the mat was so wide and stiff I had trouble lifting my arms.

So, I plunged into making a muscle suit off two layers of stretchy fabric, zaigzag stitched in vague muscle shapes to make pockets. I snipped the backs of the pockets open and stuffed them. It's a fairly similar suit to the one I made for Fili's, but mine has ab muscles where hers doesn't. I'm just going to use the picture of hers - they're similar enough it won't matter.

2015-01-23 23.39.45.jpg

Make up - I use ELF foundation stick and powder, and either brown eye-shadow or this brown eyebrow shaping pressed powder I got from the hundred yen shape for shaping under the cheekbones, the sides of the nose to make more like Armitage's and in the eye sockets to make them deeper. I usually don't bother with much age-lining, since I tend be have under-slept getting ready for cons and this nature provides the bags under the eyes naturally. Thanks, Nature. A bit of highlighting powder (It's Japanese, they sell this stuff to make their noses look high-bridged) for the forehead, nose, and cheekbones to raise them, and if I'm in the mood, some smears of wet brown shadow for dirt.

The moustache and beard are applied with spirit gum if I have time and I'll be wearing them a while. (Note - even female should shave before applying this gunk. Ow.)
If I don't have time and won't be wearing the hair appliances for more than a few hours, clear eyelash glue from the 100 yen shop is wonderful, wonderful stuff. I rec it for short term appliance work.

Eyebrows - like prosthetics for the nose and brows, I've no idea how to make those or get the right materials while living abroad, so I handle the brows with three things. The brow powder mentioned above is first. Next a very fine felt-tipped eyeliner to add extra hairs to fill in below my brows, on the inside tips for that unplucked manly looked and more at the outer edges to widen and just generally bulk them up.

The last product is slightly odd and I haven't seen the exact equivalent on Amazon US in this style, so I'll describe it. It's like a mascara, but the liquid is thinner, and it's a product for your hair sold in Japan to cover up greys. It comes in brown or black, and the quality will depend on price - the 100 yen stuff is good in a pinch but too runny, the drugstore option is better. Actual mascara will work, too, but I find it's a bit thick. I use this to colour the brow hair, and also brush it into better shape, which means instead of along the length, I brush it up and out. It's great stuff, washes out well.

I think I mentioned my Dwarf ears upthread, but yeah - spirit gum or eyelash glue to apply them and it doesn't need to be a neat job since the hair covers all faults.

Accessories - I bought the Key of Erebor from Weta and strung it on a thong for my neck. I also bought the bluestone ring Thorin wears from them. The last ring I got from a Japanese vendor. Other optional things I'll bring depending on the situation - an Arkenstone. It's a large faceted glass thing I got for 500 yen and I have a small multi LED keychain that lights it up in your hand. I've got some of the gold coins of the dragon's hoard from Weta. And lastly, I've got about 5 different flower crowns for Hobbit wedding and party pics, which we've used most of all - every one loves wearing those!

And on to some pics. First bunch are from the first wearing of the costume.

We didn't plan this group, they all just showed up. Gandalf is a Japanese girl with amazing lifts and elevator boots on - I'm 5'10" myself. Bilbo played by Feikoi, my flatmate. We're all girls, though I should mention. Haven't met a male yet in Japan who does Hobbit cosplay.

AND THE WINNER OF THE MATCH BY K.O. - BILBO BAGGINS!

Nice venue, but it was SO HOT in the cosplay area that by the end I was just, "GOD HELP ME OUT OF A LAYER OR THREE." And this was before I'd made the muscle suit.
But since there was a camera, we had to make it more interesting.
r

Anyway, despite sweating my life out, we had a great time premièring the costumes for this venue.

This is awesome! Your attention to detail and the use of so many techniques and materials is great. I love characters with so many different and diverse textures. You nailed the look and feel of the character and and the world he comes from. Kudos

This is awesome! Your attention to detail and the use of so many techniques and materials is great. I love characters with so many different and diverse textures. You nailed the look and feel of the character and and the world he comes from. Kudos

Thanks! It's maybe the third cosplay I've done in my life, and lord, all the things I had to learn or employ to do this. I feel very lucky to pull it off, and I'm glad others think I did it well. Kudos back!

From the second movie opening. Because we had to catch the last train, there was no time to change and I was starved, tired, overheated and crowded on this commuter train. I would happily have murdered everyone.

r
Winter Comiket

The Battle of Five Armies opening. We were quite lucky - there was an event where theyscreened all the movies back to back, starting at 8 pm. Afterwards, we grabbed breakfast at a 24 hour McDonald's until the first trains started and we could go home.

By this time, the wig was getting to be a mess.

Full bunch of Hobbit and LotR characters at Movies Paradise con.

Last edited:
Last (not including the modern alternate universe versions I did with the costume) the photoshoot in Odawara, after I fixed the fur collar.

YUI_2552.JPG
YUI_2731.JPGYUI_2845.JPG YUI_3013.JPG

YUI_3061.JPG YUI_3093.JPG YUI_3124.JPG

Picture time done, thanks for looking! Odawara photos courtesy of @yuichi1118.

Hmm, I have family south of Hamilton. Maybe I'll have to make a detour next time we go to visit!

Blah, sounds like what happened to Bouclair. It used to be all fabric, now I think it's all home decor stuff (like pillows and curtains and whatnot, no more fabric). But I'm going to the US anyways (I have a PO box there for stuff that won't ship to Canada/is too expensive to ship here), and the JoAnn's is just down the street from that, so I'll check it out while I'm there. It'll have to be sort of soon, since I need some of the stuff there for FanExpo in September, lol.

I love the finished pics! Everything looks really good. You did such a phenomenal job with everything. :) I also love that all the Hobbit cosplayers are female, lol. I've noticed that too! I do have a male friend and his young son who've done Gandalf and Bilbo (which is exceptionally cute), but I agree that almost all the other Middle-Earth cosplayers I've seen are female. Obviously my husband cosplayed as Dwalin with me, but I saw a woman wearing a great Gimli costume at Ottawa ComicCon in May, and I have a female friend who cosplays as Legolas. It's kind of funny that it's so rare to see male cosplayers for a pretty much all-male cast!

Thank you so much for sharing your process in creating your AMAZING Thorin costume! I am just starting my own costume and your tips have been super helpful in where to start and the tiniest of details!

Hi, first I must say, your Thorin costume is one of best costumes i found on internet, And absolutely the best tutoriál for it.

Second sorry for my bad english I´m from Czech republic. We decide with Friend that we will cosplay as a Pair Thorin and Thranduil. (because I´m pretty small I get Thorin ofcourse) Your tutorial is absolutely great help in this task.

But i find a new problem, I´m from a small city and it is a problem to find a clay that can work on Thorin´s armour. Internet is full of clays but they are pretty expensive, so before i buy something i want to know if it will work.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back