Another Revell Voyager build

I used his a guide, its much easier than it looks but i havent done any flashing Nav lights or anything. Be careful where you place the nav lights if you do them as i cut some of the windows too close to the lights and then couldnt light block it effectively. I didnt take any pics of the light installation unfortunately but used tin foil wherever needed to encase the LED and stop light block. It went well overall. Separation of colour in the secondary hull and the nacelles was the most awkward part and routing the wires through the nacelles into the secondary hull.

Thanks for the advice and hopefully I can avoid those issues. I too am not doing the strobes and from the many many episodes of Voyager I've seen the red/green nav lights don't blink for some reason (and as a personal pet peeve, one of the impulse engines is never lit). I'm going to try and use "The Void" as a guide since the episode takes place in complete darkness. I just watched it and the nav lights are really bright on the flight deck. I never noticed them before.

Robert Bonchune was a member of Voyager's (among other) CGI team so it looks more and more like they really did do a full mockup of it.

OK, its been a while but I did some more of the decals today. No pics but they are just decals after all. I had found that some of the previous decals I had applied had started to lift a little even though I used a sealant after applying them, will have to sort that later. My big problem know is going to be mounting the damn thing, I really didn't work it through before I started building so have to try and find a way to use the base that came with the model and also hide the wires for the lights and fit the battery somewhere! I'm going to try and extend the base with some hard plastic and then hide the cable inside the support strut which I will then cover with some plastic to make it look solid. Not sure when i will get around to it but will include more pics next time around. I still hate decals though! I also noted that some of the decals included in the kit do not appear on any of the reference models I have seen on the web, weird.

Last edited:
Well i have spent a good few hours that i will never get back in decal hell today! They really are a pain but they are now done. I have had to try and constuct a base that will fit the non thinking way that i went about building her this time around, i never even considered how i would mount it at the end! I'm going to use the base that came with the model but modified and mounted on top of a take away food carton. I half filled it with interior filler to take the weight and i'll put the battery in there, that's tomorrows job hopefully though. For now here she is, just about finished less the base. She is by no means perfect but she is my by all means not perfect and I'm pretty proud of her all things taken into consideration.

20130331_161238_zps8b7e4ab6.jpg

20130331_161244_zps96d0ef1d.jpg

20130331_161300_zps0de0516a.jpg

20130331_162907_zps76dfafcd.jpg

20130331_162920_zps1c4fb7db.jpg

20130331_172307_zpsa3eb98c9.jpg

20130331_180753_zps5d9ee102.jpg

See if you can guess which of the decals i left to the very last?

Ok, as far as finished goes, she is finished! I think there always things we can do to add that little bit more. The experiment worked and Im pretty pleased with how things turned out, the base was a pain but i managed to get the switch battery and wiring in without too much trouble. I could do a little weathering or add some more detail here and there but that's for another model. Here are some pics of the finished girl, lights and all.

20130407_130624_zps4ddefd85.jpg

20130407_130655_zps804d7a28.jpg

20130407_134508_zps0f8eff17.jpg

20130407_134501_zpsd47654d8.jpg

20130407_134453_zpsed00913f.jpg

20130407_134520_zps6b557ce0.jpg

Thanks for following the thread guys and for all of the comments, suggestions and tips; it really was all appreciated. All of those tips will go into the next build and hopefully no experimenting this time, just a quality model i hope.

Now, which one do i tackle next?

20130407_142333_zpsf466a683.jpg

choke cough hack this is a great V, looks about perfect, not quite perfect cause you have it and not me, but sacrifices must be made.

Thanks everyone, Im pretty pleased with how she came out seeing as i havent modeled for over 15 years. Everything is LED on this build. Im going to use fibre on the Warbird when i get going on it though. I also need to sort decals out, on some of these the edges wont stay stuck down. I would have used fibre on the Nav lights on the Nacelles and shuttlebay platform if i was going to do them as the LED would have looked too much out of proportion. There is plenty of space for fibre runs too so they would be a nice choice. Now searching for info on where the Nav lights are on a Warbird and whether or not they flash!

I decided that i needed to update the base for this voyager model, the original was really quite tacky! I based this on a PADD from Voyager and i think it makes quite a difference; there is some hot glue removal to do but i think it looks pretty good although i doubt i will ever make a foirtune by selling PADD props!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back