Another budget dreads tutorial

vini

Greetings fellow Hunters!

I finished making my first few dreads last night, I'm very pleased with the results so far, so I thought I'd share the process with you.
These are very simple to make, & the materials don't cost much.

You will need

Crayola model magic (£25 for 72 x 1oz packets from ebay)
Rustoleum Direct To Vinyl Spray (£7.99 from Homebase)

This stuff is great! Air drying, lightweight & stays quite flexible.

To make dreads of around 550mm (22") I used 2 packs of Model Magic
model_magic.jpg

First off, you need to work this stuff for a couple of minutes to soften it up, I then rolled it into a ball, then into a slightly tapered cylinder.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Roll the cylinder out on a flat surface, using gentle pressure, this stuff is very soft, so doesn't take much effort to roll out. When rolling, I spread my fingers & gently pulled my hands apart as I rolled it.

Make a mark on your surface to get the length you want.

When you are nearly at your desired length, use a flat piece of something( I used a length of MDF) to roll the dread, this helps to get a more uniform, smooth surface to the dread.

3.jpg

When you're happy with it, move it to one side, add a very slight curve to the shape of the dread, this will make it hang better when attatched to your mask. Then repeat as necessary.

Be gentle with the dread at this stage, it will be quite soft, but you can handle it to move it.

5.jpg

This stuff air dries in 24 hours, but I left mine for 48 hours, the surface should feel firm, with a little flex when it's ready.

Next comes the good bit...........PAINT!!!

I used a paper clip poked through the top to hang it. No need to worry about a hole, I'll cut the end at a slight angle to make it sit better on the mask.

6.jpg

4.jpg

Materials.jpg

These dreads do have an amount of flex in them, but they do not move like latex. Well.......put it this way......I have bent them around a fair bit with no paint cracking or snappage......but I wouldn't want to tie them in a knot!!!
Under normal movement, they should hold up fine.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a really cool idea. Now, when the clay dries, do they have any movement or are they pretty stiff?

Thanks Bro. They're not totally stiff & have a reasonable amount of movement, though like I said, they don't move like latex. They don't have the same "whipping" sort of movement but they do flex & can be bent around a fair bit. Firm yet mobile, might be a good description.

I've just put a quick vid on youtube of one dread to try & give a better idea of the amount of movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJG-FNGnm4g

& here's a photo of it coiled up

28062010610.jpg

Hope this helps

AWESOME!!! I think I may just try this after the Predators premiere as I will not have time to make new dreads for my mask within that time frame :rolleyes:

Hey Pretty sick idea my man.
I was wondering though if you squeeze it will it have your finger impressions?

Hang on a sec............SQUEEZING NOW..........

If you squeeze really hard, it does leave a slight indentation, but not a full finger mark. I'd say about 95% of the dent springs right out.
I'll check it again later to see how it looks.

Hang on a sec............SQUEEZING NOW..........

If you squeeze really hard, it does leave a slight indentation, but not a full finger mark. I'd say about 95% of the dent springs right out.
I'll check it again later to see how it looks.

LOL ok sweet.... I'll probably go and grab some today and test it out

I work with model magic and this stuff is great!
I do most of my action figure customizing with it.

Great idea to make some dreads with it, I'm definately giving that a shot!!

I know you said its flexable. however as i see one the Crayola website. they say it Hardens over a period of time.. my question would be does it actually become as hard as a rock over a few days or does it stay as flexible as i saw on the video.

I know you said its flexable. however as i see one the Crayola website. they say it Hardens over a period of time.. my question would be does it actually become as hard as a rock over a few days or does it stay as flexible as i saw on the video.

Hi Preds,
It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since I made them, & 9 days since I posted the vid, & they are still as flexible.
Just tested them again, by coiling them up like I did in the above pics, & they're fine. Coil up nicely, & spring back into shape when released.
It cures in 24 hours, but I left them for at least 48 hours before painting them, & they did get firmer during that time.

I have experence with Model Magic and I can tell you the facts from Crayola's websites are true. I've made a dragon from this stuff and after a couple months it gets pretty stiff, fragile, and will crack. However, I've made quills from these last summer and some are still as flexible as ever.
Im guessing the thicker, the more they'll be prone to breaking. The dragon's legs were about 2 cm thick and they were the first to go.

IMG_02931.jpg

IMG_02941.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics, I'm a little tired today lol
Euck, looking at these pictures made me realize I need to cut my fingernails now.

I have experence with Model Magic and I can tell you the facts from Crayola's websites are true. I've made a dragon from this stuff and after a couple months it gets pretty stiff, fragile, and will crack. However, I've made quills from these last summer and some are still as flexible as ever.
Im guessing the thicker, the more they'll be prone to breaking. The dragon's legs were about 2 cm thick and they were the first to go.

IMG_02931.jpg

IMG_02941.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics, I'm a little tired today lol
Euck, looking at these pictures made me realize I need to cut my fingernails now.

Thanks for the heads up on that, they're still flexible at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on them. If they do dissintegrate.....weeeeeell....... they've been fun to make, & will do the job until I make my foam/latex ones. Might still work well on a bust rather than a mask?

Just a quick update on these dreads, I know there was a little concern that the product they are made from can harden & crack over time.

It's now been just over 2 months since I made these, & they are still as flexible as ever. When coiled up they show no signs of snapping or cracking.
My girlfriend uses this stuff all the time with the kids in her class,(it was her idea to use it......thanks Baby!!!) & assures me that the flexibility in it is all down to the amount you work it prior to shaping it & letting it dry.
She has sculptures/toys that the kids made around 18 months ago that get played with regularly & are still as flexible as when they were first made.
I'll continue to post updates for a wee while, & let you guys know if there is any change.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back