Another budget dreads tutorial

i remember making a partial huntorial on this and i gotta say this has got to be a really good method for making cheap dreads, if you wanna use even less model magic coat some roap with this stuff it will be much faster, they wont have that much sway though

oh my god, you have no idea how much this helps me :) ordered packets of the stuff for next weekend. i had a boat rope and black fabric back up plan too, but this should work nicely i owe you a beer bro!!!

right. only had fourteen one ounce packets arrive in time to be dried, cured and painted. (due to working constraints i couldn't get to the only shop in cork that sells the crayola stuff). which ment i only had seven good dreads, plus the only two good ones that cames with the mask. some broke off towards the end of the night, but that was bound to happen when in a nightclub. did scare the bollox out of a load of people though ;)
3.JPG

the craft shop in cork(ireland in case ye are wondering), sells Crayola Model magic not in one ounce packets, but a tub with four eight (8) ounce packets. that's 228 grams for you metric boys like me :D
0.JPG

as for the drying time, at least two days to be properly done.

but i have ideas..... like painting over the dreads when dried with latex paint, tinted black to reinforce them. just a thought. i may work on it soon and tell ye how it goes.

my suit for the night though, was less than i'd hoped. http://www.buycostumes.com/Predator-Adult-...ductDetail.aspx

up to a 44 inch chest my ass. cut it up(jacket and pants) after trying it on innitially. waste of time. even my much skinnier housemate couldn't close the jakcet part. so i made a very cheap and nasty one with a t-shirt anda pair of long johns as i didn't have time to make the latex suit. apologies for the pictures, but at the same time, up yours :D i had some fun :D
1.jpg

once again, thanks vini i owe you.

Last edited by a moderator:
right. only had fourteen one ounce packets arrive in time to be dried, cured and painted. (due to working constraints i couldn't get to the only shop in cork that sells the crayola stuff). which ment i only had seven good dreads, plus the only two good ones that cames with the mask. some broke off towards the end of the night, but that was bound to happen when in a nightclub. did scare the bollox out of a load of people though ;)

the craft shop in cork(ireland in case ye are wondering), sells Crayola Model magic not in one ounce packets, but a tub with four eight (8) ounce packets. that's 228 grams for you metric boys like me :D

as for the drying time, at least two days to be properly done.

but i have ideas..... like painting over the dreads when dried with latex paint, tinted black to reinforce them. just a thought. i may work on it soon and tell ye how it goes.

my suit for the night though, was less than i'd hoped. http://www.buycostumes.com/Predator-Adult-...ductDetail.aspx

up to a 44 inch chest my ass. cut it up(jacket and pants) after trying it on innitially. waste of time. even my much skinnier housemate couldn't close the jakcet part. so i made a very cheap and nasty one with a t-shirt anda pair of long johns as i didn't have time to make the latex suit. apologies for the pictures, but at the same time, up yours :D i had some fun :D

once again, thanks vini i owe you.

You're welcome Brother! Nice job on the dreads, they turned out great! Looks like you had a blast.
I think the latex/paint idea would work well.

Did they stay flexible for you?

Just a quick update on these dreads, I know there was a little concern that the product they are made from can harden & crack over time.

It's now been just over 2 months since I made these, & they are still as flexible as ever. When coiled up they show no signs of snapping or cracking.
My girlfriend uses this stuff all the time with the kids in her class,(it was her idea to use it......thanks Baby!!!) & assures me that the flexibility in it is all down to the amount you work it prior to shaping it & letting it dry.She has sculptures/toys that the kids made around 18 months ago that get played with regularly & are still as flexible as when they were first made.
I'll continue to post updates for a wee while, & let you guys know if there is any change.

I have a question.... Are you saying that you "should" work it a lot before letting it dry.... or "don't" over work the clay.

Also......You might have posted it, but what type of paint did you use?

I'm thinking of trying this with some of my armor pieces.

Great idea man your amazing im seriously gonna try this so its crayola model magic roll it tapered a lil and in a curv shape let dry for two days and pain and done. im gonna try this keep us posted on if they r still as flexible as vid thx good job!

I have a question.... Are you saying that you "should" work it a lot before letting it dry.... or "don't" over work the clay.

Also......You might have posted it, but what type of paint did you use?

I'm thinking of trying this with some of my armor pieces.

You need to work the clay loads for a couple of minutes before shaping it. Plenty of squishing & kneading! :)
I used Rustoleum Direct to vinyl spray to paint them

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back