Another Blade Runner Blaster

Hi Y'all!

So I'll be the first to admit, this model was a little over my head. I did a LOT of research, and did a lot of practice beforehand, but there are things that I feel I would've done a little differently if I had practiced just a little more.

That said, I'm happy with it!

I used some spare wood from building a basement staircase as my platform to spray all the parts. Used a metallic Testors enamel, and then strangely a matte chalkboard paint for the black parts. I liked the look it gave - I was looking specifically for something that wasn't glossy and I wasn't super interested in getting my colors film accurate as much as I was interested in having a piece that looked really cohesive.

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

Some of the pieces primed and painted, with the grips. Triggers and a few other pieces weren't painted fully until later. I wish I had sanded down some pieces a little more, but was afraid of losing some detail in the gun.
IMG_2593.jpg

The worst part of assembly for sure was getting the back trigger to pull well. I ended up doing things way different than the model was intended to be done, but I'm fine with the way it works. The trigger pulls, so that's good enough for me at this point!

IMG_2595.jpg

After painting, I did a lot of weathering. I tried a lot of things, but ended up with using some silver paint and my index finger to try to make wear and tear look sort of realistic. I would put the gun down and see what hit first, and silver that. On the already silver parts I used some black - Testors black enamel model paint that was thinned some. As a treat, I also bought these light-up bullets. The sights have not been added yet.

IMG_2682.jpg

At the suggestion of a friend, I ended up buying some Fuller's Earth and dirtying up the bun a bit. I really wanted it to look like something that had been used for a long time by a blade runner, and I think this ended up being the final piece I needed. Also the sights are on now.

IMG_2763.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty proud! In person, I think that it really does "look like a thing" - at a glance it feels real to me, and for now that's good enough.

I absolutely know there is room for improvement - this kit was so prohibitively expensive that I do wish I had done a little more practice and research, but in the end I learned a LOT and I had a lot of fun. It's gonna be a very long time before I can afford to give it another shot, but for now I'm pleased with the end result. I might keep tweaking!

Looking good...that said you'll have to experiment more in terms of type of color/spray/sanding technique and filler. (y) ;) Where did you get the kit (brand)?

So I came back at it, new paint scheme and new weathering. I saw a lot of people doing a lot of weathered, rusty steel color and HAD to give that a try.
Let me know what y’all think!

Attachments

• 1069573C-207A-40BB-9F94-F92E4AB76EC2.jpeg
    1069573C-207A-40BB-9F94-F92E4AB76EC2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 153
Looking good...and be careful; it's addictive. Once you build your first, you'll want another one;)
Thanks for saying that! I honestly keep wanting to tweak it.

Haha trust me, I already do! Really want to buy the snub nose kit when I can. I really just want to figure the paint out on this one first. I don't own an airbrush and so had to use a model brush, and although I worked really hard to get the technique such that I didn't show brush marks, the matte paint still ended up having really weird spots of shine on it. In normal light I think it looks alright, but under the light I use to paint it's making my head spin.

Does anyone have any tips for brush painting something like this?

I usually spray-paint, or airbrush, my models/props. Looks better that way. Paint brushes should be high quality if you really want to stick to that technique. I have the same pro-paint brushes for more than 30 years. I know that the initial price can be steep, but with excellent care, you'll keep them for life (y)

I usually spray-paint, or airbrush, my models/props. Looks better that way. Paint brushes should be high quality if you really want to stick to that technique. I have the same pro-paint brushes for more than 30 years. I know that the initial price can be steep, but with excellent care, you'll keep them for life (y)
You're right that I should invest in better quality brushes. Spray paint's a good call too - the first paint attempt I made for this one was spray paint... maybe I should go back to that. Any chance I could ruin anything by sanding down before masking to re-paint?

Eventually I really do want to get an airbrush setup, but because I often go for months without an opportunity to work on anything, it's been hard to justify the cost. One day!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back