Another 1978 MPC X-Wing kit build...

To secure the wing pivot, I made full bulkheads to keep it in place instead of the 'trapping pin(s)'. I also added a couple of protruding square pegs on the forward inside bulkhead that fit into matching recess 'pockets' on the foil edges, which work in combination with magnet latches so when closed, the foils would stay in the correct alignment, being prevented from rotating by the pegs. Essentially, I built in stops to eliminate the 'flopping wings'. A second set of magnets hold the foils in the open position and proper alignment.
I made patterns for the bulkheads if anyone wants a copy...
Regards, Robert
Got pictures?

Actually, yes I found some WIP pix on an SD card a couple of days ago... I'll post them as soon as I can resize them.
Cheers!
Robert
EDIT: Here they are, annotated for your info - thanks!
MPC_XWing_kit mods_bulkheads.jpg

MPC_XWing_kit mods_wing pivot.jpg
MPC_XWing_kit mods_foil ehancements.JPG
MPC_XWing_kit mods_foil details.jpg
MPC_XWing_kit mods_cockpit supports.JPG

Last edited:
I ended up mounting the kit 'star' stand onto a wooden plaque after packing it with epoxy putty and embedding two bolts to secure it with... plus I reinforced the 'mast' with CD crystal case plastic. It is a lot sturdier now! Also gave me room to add some fun graphical elements including an 'INCOM' corporate logo...that included a five-point star!
RE: the back plate cover, it changed position depending on how it is reinserted after taking it off to expose the mounting pipe. More a problem is that the rear plate needs to be reset some since the kit has it nearly flush with the rear edge of the fuselage.
To secure the wing pivot, I made full bulkheads to keep it in place instead of the 'trapping pin(s)'. I also added a couple of protruding square pegs on the forward inside bulkhead that fit into matching recess 'pockets' on the foil edges, which work in combination with magnet latches so when closed, the foils would stay in the correct alignment, being prevented from rotating by the pegs. Essentially, I built in stops to eliminate the 'flopping wings'. A second set of magnets hold the foils in the open position and proper alignment.
I made patterns for the bulkheads if anyone wants a copy...
Regards, Robert

I'd love a copy. I have a feeling with the Round 2 licensing news, building at least one or two (or more) of these is in my future :lol:

The ones I have built ages ago were definitely suffering from floppy wing syndrome and I had to insert some wedges to try to keep them in position. I'd like to avoid that this go around

Last edited:
Really nicely done. Im wanting to build the Bandai x-wing and y-wing to go along with my falcon however wanted to build a larger scale also. And with these kits getting a re release may be a great option! I also saved my pocket money to buy and built one of these as a kid, was probably about 10.... didnt even paint it from memory, just 'flew' it around with my star wars figurines until it eventually fell apart and got binned.

You're going to have to share all your brush painting tips chrisisall. I really struggled not getting bleed under masking edges when brushing and ultimately always leads me to spraying. An issue you seem to well avoid!
Absolute top job mate!
Cheers,
Josh

You're going to have to share all your brush painting tips chrisisall. I really struggled not getting bleed under masking edges when brushing and ultimately always leads me to spraying. An issue you seem to well avoid!
Absolute top job mate!
Cheers,
Josh
Thanks... but really, I just use the lightest touch I can, make sure the tape is pressed down tight before I start, and always brush with the line of the tape, never letting the bristles of the brush 'poke' it. Then I fix any bleeds later in post. ;)

Said it before on your other post but it's worth saying again here Chris, fantastic job on this. Nice mods, additional details, and a great old school paint job. Aspects you shared here like the cannon reinforcement and canopy tinting will be incorporated in my current build adaption.

When Round Two releases this kit again I'll be buying up a bunch of them. The nostalga is strong with this one.

The Moebius nose is too wide and long, the Revell thruster cans are too small. I just combined the most accurate parts of both.

I am sort of an observant person, but I was wondering how you guys who have been doing this for a while figure out that the dimensions of any given model (or part of a model) are off. Is it as simple as comparing pictures to product? Or do you have a more complicated methodology?

I am not great at scratch-building parts or kitbashing, so I am more inclined to deal with the differences via narrative: "ThisT-65 X-Wing was made in a Sullustan Foundry ship, so the nose of this particular block is a little shorter than those made in the underground factories of Minbocca V due to the scarcity of materials at the time it was made." Et Cetera.

I can't praise your skills enough.

I am sort of an observant person, but I was wondering how you guys who have been doing this for a while figure out that the dimensions of any given model (or part of a model) are off. Is it as simple as comparing pictures to product? Or do you have a more complicated methodology?

I am not great at scratch-building parts or kitbashing, so I am more inclined to deal with the differences via narrative: "ThisT-65 X-Wing was made in a Sullustan Foundry ship, so the nose of this particular block is a little shorter than those made in the underground factories of Minbocca V due to the scarcity of materials at the time it was made." Et Cetera.

I can't praise your skills enough.
For me it's comparing reference photos which can get you close proportions or at least point out glaring errors. Dimensions for me are guess work starting with a close or known reference point like R2D2's head diameter unless there is something listed from the studio models.

I also tend to go for the narrative side as I like to tell or attach a story as it gives way for creative license.

Everyone seems to have that one model they do over & over... for some it's the Enterprise, or the X-Wing... for me it was the Viper. I've made 13 of them in all, each one getting closer to my idea of perfection every time. When you know the design of a fictional vehicle better than you know your own car, it's easy to be ridiculously picky & OCD about it, LOL.
Although, I did a TON of research on Red 5 before I finished it. I'm incredibly happy with it, but guys who know it like I know the Viper may be able to tear it apart with criticism....

IMG_20201030_155613.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone seems to have that one model they do over & over... for some it's the Enterprise, or the X-Wing... for me it was the Viper. I've made 13 of them in all, each one getting closer to my idea of perfection every time. When you know the design of a fictional vehicle better than you know your own car, it's easy to be ridiculously picky & OCD about it, LOL.
Although, I did a TON of research on Red 5 before I finished it. I'm incredibly happy with it, but guys who know it like I know the Viper may be able to tear it apart with criticism....

View attachment 1448640
Nice! Can’t wait to see that air wolf either!!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back