ANH Luke Macrobinocular Build

Very nice. Neat and tidy.

I've been meaning to add EL sheet to mine for years but I'll just screw it up!!!

Thanks Kurtboy! So I need an aluminum lens plate and I can finish it up!

i also will be selling my remaining parts - stripped and ready Eumig w bubble strip glued in place, pre drilled for Seagull knobs, my aluminum triangle w mesh, & Eumig knob, and paint, Kalimar knobs.

So my RussRep lens plate isn't as cool as I thought. I cannot get ahold of him either....

The lenses will not both thread into the plate, they hit each other badly. I guess I'll be visiting the machine shop....

IMG_2020.jpg

Who would be interested in a machined aluminum lens plate that did not need the Kalimar lens rings? I'd engineer it so it had the threaded rings machined in the lens plate and 2 mounting posts to go through the Eumig body. I'd also laser cut the shims I made to fill in the step in the Eumig body so the lens plate sits flat and solid. Let me know, thanks!

Chad

I suspect this piece is actually acrylic like on the stunt.
I've got Russ's plate but like you had issues with mine originally, but that was a while ago.

could you post some pictures of the plate, and measurements, Ill thinking of making one myself on a cutting/drill-table(it reads illustrator files) with acrylic.

I think I matched the Kalimar gray OK on the lens cap. Got some cool buff-able aluminum metalizer paint from TMM and it works pretty cool. Applied a second coat after buffing and need to buff it again. Later today I'll clear the lens cap, then do the yellow detailed numbers, clear again, then weather the gray lens caps and aluminum focus rings like the screen used prop.

IMG_2050.jpgIMG_2049.jpgIMG_2048.jpg

Last edited:
Gray looks good to me. :thumbsup

But: Screen used was all painted over. ;)

Not with all the original colors like most builds here. (That´s why i have 2 on my bench, one will be nice looking, and another screenaccurate under paint)

So the EL sheet wires have broken off of the sheet several times and they are now unrepairable. I found a new EL sheet with a long flexible contact wire w/ a molex plug end vs. the hard tin leads. This should allow the sheet to be mounted securely and w/ no more damage to the wires. Live & learn right!

pretty cool! Would you mind posting the source or brand/model?

So the EL sheet wires have broken off of the sheet several times and they are now unrepairable. I found a new EL sheet with a long flexible contact wire w/ a molex plug end vs. the hard tin leads. This should allow the sheet to be mounted securely and w/ no more damage to the wires. Live & learn right!

EL sheet arrived, much nicer unit than the first one! The electrical leads are perfect for this prop. I simply trimmed the excess plastic film on each side, used clear tape to attach the Banta slide, and coiled up the wire lead and slipped it into the view finder hood bracket.

IMG_2059.jpgIMG_2058.jpg

I then filed the view finder bracket top edge to clear the added thickness of the EL sheet and slide. Works perfect and no worries about binding or clearance too.

IMG_2061.jpgIMG_2060.jpg

I may add some black pinstripe tape around the outer edge to hide the light bleed and picture frame it nicely.

Dmacinist Dave has accepted the lens plate as a project. I've asked him to make a solid aluminum plate with the threaded lens rings machined into the plate and threaded holes on the back side to mount them from inside the Eumig with simple shallow machine screws. I'll ship him the lens plate and a lens to make it up proper. I hope he will offer them on his site for sale!

Dmacinist Dave has accepted the lens plate as a project. I've asked him to make a solid aluminum plate with the threaded lens rings machined into the plate and threaded holes on the back side to mount them from inside the Eumig with simple shallow machine screws. I'll ship him the lens plate and a lens to make it up proper. I hope he will offer them on his site for sale!

thats great, i did mine in cnc acrylic. And i like it much. But allways nice to have it in Alu. I allso contacted him for the leia blaster flashhider, that was my project. I see he has put that on his site for sale, and thats great.

rhGiafk.jpg

Last edited:
That's great news! I have several of his kits, he does terrific work! Looking forward to getting a transition plate.

Shipped off my entire prop to Dave at Dark Energy Creations with my extra Eumig. Hopefully Dave will quickly machine up the lensplate and see what other billet goodies he wants to make.

would anyone be interested in the following in billet?

Lens plates with threaded lens rings
Seagull knob with Bell & Howell parts
Kalimar lenses
Kalimar knobs
Seagull knobs
Unidentified mystery box

Let me know what you think? Thanks

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back