ANH Luke Macrobinocular Build

Nothing of that. Didn´t you say some time ago you´re working on the transition box?

Well, maybe the lensplate - if i´m to lazy to make my own. But even with only basic tools it can be done on a rainy afternoon, and probably be more accurately looking handmade as the real movie part. Machined may look to "perfect machined" (as many other replicas of old parts).

All the other parts are easily to get, and not that expensive with some patience (some are pretty cheap), I machined me some Kalimar knobs from given dimensions before owning real ones, but then went for the real deal (several times).

20160405_180613_zpswgvnozmq.jpg

But a good transition box is the hardest to get part.

Yes, I got distracted with my car project. I will follow up on the transition boxes and belt clips too. I think the lens plates, Seagull knob with internals, Kalimar lenses, and the mystery box would make the build much more simple. All you'd need is a transition box, one Kalimar, and the Eumig!

How boring. :eek Where is the fun of hunting?

But i like the idea - with all that stuff out there for the average displayer, more real parts would be for the real collectors. ;)

How boring. :eek Where is the fun of hunting?

But i like the idea - with all that stuff out there for the average displayer, more real parts would be for the real collectors. ;)

I'm a hunter too, although I don't brag about my finds like some. I do however find the prop only "worth" something to me if it is as accurate w original, where available parts. I've had fun and been very frustrated at the same time trying to "hunt" for parts. For this reason I'd like to see parts offered.

For example, a Kobold flash as a droid caller isn't "worth" $200-$500 when I can buy a replica kit for $180. Just saying

Bad example.

Off course a real Kobold is worth 200-230 when you have to pay 180 for a (in details inaccurate) replica. It would be different with a nice replica for 100-120, or if the real one would be 400 and more. And to be true - it´s not uncommon that real Kobolds were sold for 140-200, not as much as we might want, but it happens regulary. Or do you think i bought mine for 500 each?

It´s no bragging - it´s showing the candy on the cake for the effort of a lof of searching. looking and hunting, sometimes having luck - instead of just going to the RPF and ordering easy available replica parts. You often fail, but that makes each success so much sweeter.

And if not to show here ...... where then? I´m coming here mainly to see what real parts others have "found" where i had no success, and vice versa. That, and the craftmenship when people build their stuff.

Prop arrived safely in New York. Let's see what comes of it. My goal is a quality lens plate w mounting studs, threaded rings machined after the plate is anodized black so they look silver with the mounting screws, my missing Kalimar lens end cap & focus ring, and a machined unidentified box that I can wind real copper wire on a shaft and patina. I can wish right?

I just received pictures of the new lens plate being made. 5/16" plate, threaded for Kaligar lenses, correct size, and blind threaded mounting holes! There is talk about making the mystery box, Seagull knobs for the transition box, Seagull/Bell & Howell big striped knob complete, and Kaligar lenses.....Anyone interested in these in machined metal? With these offered, you'd only need the Eumig and one Kalimar camera!

Highly interested in a lens plate. Also interested to see a mystery box pending more details on it or maybe a mock-up?

I just received pictures of the new lens plate being made. 5/16" plate, threaded for Kaligar lenses, correct size, and blind threaded mounting holes! There is talk about making the mystery box, Seagull knobs for the transition box, Seagull/Bell & Howell big striped knob complete, and Kaligar lenses.....Anyone interested in these in machined metal? With these offered, you'd only need the Eumig and one Kalimar camera!

Really interested in the aluminum mystery box. Any chance of seeing some pictures? Maybe a template or mock up. Looking forward to this one.

Really interested in the aluminum mystery box. Any chance of seeing some pictures? Maybe a template or mock up. Looking forward to this one.

i sent my complete set of macros w my extra Eumig to Dave at Dark Energy Creations to have a lens plate engineered and a sample made. Dave will offer up parts when available and I'm sure will have pics of samples

i sent my complete set of macros w my extra Eumig to Dave at Dark Energy Creations to have a lens plate engineered and a sample made. Dave will offer up parts when available and I'm sure will have pics of samples

are you making an aluminum copy of my mystery box

Here's my new aluminum machined lens plate from Dave at Dark Energy Creations - Threaded lens holes no need for the lens rings from the Kalimar (no need to basically ruin the camera to get them out either) & blind threaded mounting holes with allen head hardware to mount from the inside of the Eumig! Last part I need to finish mine up and then I will get rolling on the laser cut transition boxes and belt clips!

macro_zpssx56yvlg.jpg

Threaded lens holes no need for the lens rings from the Kalimar (no need to basically ruin the camera to get them out either) & blind threaded mounting holes with allen head hardware to mount from the inside of the Eumig!

Nothing to care for, imho. After using the parts for building a macro the camera is ruined, noone will take/buy a macro to rebuild a camera. :lol That´s why i bought another Kalimar for display in it´s original state only.

So the only important question to be asked is .... is it accurate to not use the lens rings.

and then I will get rolling on the laser cut transition boxes

:thumbsup

No. But as a machinist I can assure you that your way is the least probably one they may have used. To much work = time = money.

Simply bolted through, glued, or mounting the rings would have been way faster.

I couldn't see any photos with through bolting. I want my prop to be durable and solid while being as screen accurate as possible. Like many here, the hunt is very fun. I wanted to make or have made any part that was needed and use metal as much as possible. I couldn't find any reference photo showing the actual Kalimar lens rings used in the plate, so my goal was to have Dave machine up a plate that was simple to install, that would be solid and secure on the Eumig, was screen accurate, and could be easily disassembled when needed. I don't care about fast or easy as much as the above described. I've been working on this prop on and off for almost 2 years and wanted it to be the best it could be.

Mounting the lens plate solid to the Eumig body required this spacer and a better machined blind threaded holes. I'm looking forward to getting my macros back and finishing the few details I need to add and doing the final painting!

IMG_1853_zpszreouhxp.jpg

Last edited:
Spoke with Dave at Dark Energy Creations and he will be sending my macros back tomorrow and will post up an interest thread in the Junkyard for lens plates with pricing. I'll post up more pictures of the part when I receive it back before and after paint and weathering. Excited to get these finished up and on display!

Picked up my Macros from the Post Office - Lens plate pics from Dave at Dark Energy Creations -

IMG_4687_zpsglyt7ub2.jpg

IMG_4688_zpsfwr2kykg.jpg

Nice blind threaded holes & hardware

IMG_4690_zpsz4tnfllf.jpg

Back side

IMG_4692_zpsgknsp7ww.jpg

Threaded fir Kaligar lenses w/o the need for lens rings

IMG_4693_zps2olw3bpz.jpg

It's now painted, time to put it together and finish it up!

Dave should be adding a run of these in the Junkyard for a nice price!!! Great quality, well executed, screen accurate, and works flawless!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back