ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Soo... are we saying that the mount was (maybe) made for the "Sitting Target" where it was matched up with the Hendsoldt? Are we ready to consider the dot in the middle of the mystery disk is the hole they drilled on the left side for a "Sitting Target" type mount before it was moved to the right?
Well, the pic you posted is an M712 lower, with the selective-fire switch above the grip the ANH DL-44 doesn't have. So the blaster lower frame might have had a similar hole drilled in it, but it's not that actual piece. Not sure you were saying that, but wanted to clarify...

Well, the pic you posted is an M712 lower, with the selective-fire switch above the grip the ANH DL-44 doesn't have. So the blaster lower frame might have had a similar hole drilled in it, but it's not that actual piece. Not sure you were saying that, but wanted to clarify...

no.. I think he knows that but is asking if the mystery disk on the actual SW hero was created in this same fashion. By mistake. Forgive me though if I’m putting words into anyones typewriter.

The mount on the M712 was fastened by screws, and LIKELY brazed as well... but firing blanks COULD have gotten away with screws only. You can see them here. I captured this from the movie when I rented it on Amazon. Lol

As for the idea that a hole is where the mystery disk is... definitely NOT. The pre production shots of the prop prove that they made NO attempt to mount on the left side. Also the couple shots we have of the blaster during and post production don't show evidence of a hole being drilled.

Attachments

• ANHscopeMountscottjua.png
    ANHscopeMountscottjua.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 184
The pre production shots of the prop prove that they made NO attempt to mount on the left side.

Hey, remember way back in this thread the Merr Sonn (?) resin cast came up, with sawed off mounts on the left side and a pulley disc over the front one.. is that old now, proven to not be the first lower-frame they attempted?

aw crap, I know, I know, that literally was a different part, so the par we're talking about now never had scope parts mounted to the left side duh! Ignore me..

Hmm, now where did I read that they tried mounting the scope mount on the left side but found that it interfered with holster use and switched to the right side? Must exercise my search-fu.

Ah, spirited prop discussion... I do love it so. :)

Hmm, now where did I read that they tried mounting the scope mount on the left side but found that it interfered with holster use and switched to the right side? Must exercise my search-fu.

Ah, spirited prop discussion... I do love it so. :)
Thats why I said "in this thread."

The 2 Mausers used in ANH undoubtedly hold the answer.
This is my conjecture based on logic.
The original blaster they built for Han used the Naked Runner gun. This had the scope mount on the left side.
When the primary actors were cast and fitted for costumes they would have quickly realized Ford was right handed. So at this point they likey found another gun to switch out the lower and create the appropriate mount.
At some point during this process the original blaster design was molded and they made resin copies. This was the Merr Sonn style.
The fresh lower was obtained (non matching serial numbers) and fitted for the right side scope. A pulley greeblie was glued to the left side to add interest. At some point prior to filming it was either removed or popped off due to the glue not being equal to being jammed in and out of a holster.

This would explain the left hand scope story but if a holster was ever created, I have no idea what that would be.

Last edited:
I think it's mentioned in one of the archive books (Costumes? Making of Star Wars?) that Harrison was asked before-hand which was his dominant hand so the costumes/ props department knew what side to have his holster sit on. I'm sure I saw a note scribbled on one of the drawings in one of those books about it...

The Mauser used in Sitting Target had a LEFT side mount... and was used RIGHT handed. In fact the left side mount is preferable for right hand shooting since your eye would line up better.

IMO the reason the scope is on the right side is for the cowboy style holster look they were going for. Thus the very clumsy and crude cross-bar mount which anyone who has held a steel replica or lucky enough to shoot a live action version like Scott can tell you,... the crossbar will eat your hand.

The mount on the M712 was fastened by screws, and LIKELY brazed as well... but firing blanks COULD have gotten away with screws only. You can see them here. I captured this from the movie when I rented it on Amazon. Lol

As for the idea that a hole is where the mystery disk is... definitely NOT. The pre production shots of the prop prove that they made NO attempt to mount on the left side. Also the couple shots we have of the blaster during and post production don't show evidence of a hole being drilled.

I agree.
The mystery disk area is likely glue residue and scratches and worn off bluing.
There is evidence of other glue residue on the left side rail bar. Something similar to the MerrSonn parts may have once been attached there as well.
My contention is that there was a mystery knob glued on the left in the beginning that either did not give the look Lucas wanted or fell off after the first test shot or holstering and they just left it off thinking it would keep falling off.

pretty much my thoughts exactly. Also I have physical evidence, in that some of the live fires I've done have had the grill greeblies come off during firing (it even happened on film on the TV show) and it does exactly as the mystery disc... the epoxy I used pulled the bluing and paint right off the steel leaving a perfect outline of the adhesive... with a little lip and the bare, patchy unglued steel exposed. So to ME it's exactly what took place. A greeblie was there and came off leaving the mystery spot

Heck, the crossbar eats my hand just HOLDING the darned thing, I can imagine how uncomfortable it would be to shoot!

I always recommend shooting gloves with a Mauser, period. The hammer will hit the web of your thumb, plus it's got a decent kick. Can definitely tell it's a pistol from people who were used to making high-powered rifles prior.

Does anyone have the tracing/template/ height, thickness and width of the real mauser's grips? I've been trying to trace it off of images, but I can't seem to get it to look like what I've seen people do as conversions. When I've traced it it just doesn't look small enough. I'd like to carve my own out of walnut. It's the last piece of my project. You can PM me if you don't want to share it to the group.

thanks,

Sabs

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back