ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Well it's great to find a parts source that can be made to order to meet demand instead of the first few to order wiping out the supply like with vintage switches or camera parts.

Ok who with an eye for greeblies is pouring over the other parts on his site to see if anything is familiar?

I ordered some sets last night.

Glad he is getting the business.

Steven

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Two Greeblies FOUND, Update in 1st Post

I just got an email saying that my payment has been refunded due to them not being able to meet demand and that the website was taken down and everything. They said to check back in the new year...

I got a new message from Malcolm Reade, the owner, that I think is an important update for all of us to read...

"We have been inundated (overwhelmed even) with orders for the dummy radial engine cylinders from around the world since early this morning.

I did explain to the guy who made the original enquiry that:

a) I broke my leg a couple of weeks ago
b) My father (who made the mould for the cylinders originally) was in the final stages of lung cancer. He died last Tuesday and we had his funeral yesterday.
c) That the mould is very old and worn and that any manufacturing using it is an absolute swine of a job, pulled muscles, burned hands etc.

I am a one-man business operating in my spare time (I am a nuclear engineering physicist by profession) and manufacture injection moulded boat and aero plane parts at weekends. It used to be my father's business.

My injection moulding machine is a single shot 0.75 ounce manually operated bench-top affair, some sixty years old. It's only slightly younger than me!

I guess by now you are getting my message that I just can't cope with the volumes of these cylinders that you guys require, leastwise not all at once!

I have had to take my web site down, and will be attempting to refund via PayPal all those who ordered cylinders from us today.

My best regards

Malcolm Reade"

So, many of us may be getting refunds today, but it sounds like he'll just need time to catch up with these and start taking orders again later. Unfortunately, it was terrible timing for him with the holidays and his father's passing.

Great work by Carson!

Hey, look at the CU image of the antenna.

No real rings as thought from the MerrSonn image but as Carson noted from the Speeder pics and now confirmed by these parts.

"look Ma!...no rings!"

But in the CU, notice the lousy condition of the mold (apparently very old and original) and depression in the ring area as we discussed a while back.

Also not the "half ball" connection between the head and rod. Not glue as imagined.

DSCN13.jpg

In real TomTit motors some but not all of the push rods have fins like the cylinder. Guess they left that off the model!

IMG_5157Lp3L.jpg

5961074-md.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, my order was cancelled as well. Hope they can start up again next year. Or maybe get an assist from the RPF to manufacture these in volume?

got my cancellation as well :(

Hinweis:
Sorry to return your payment for dummy radial engine cylinders. We have been overwhelmed with orders for these items today and cannot meet the demand. We have taken our web site down - please try again in the New Year. Regards Malcolm J Reade

It wouldn't have mattered since he doesn't have them "in stock". They're made to order and such a large order would have been cancelled anyway.

I know. I did read your post above my own. ;)
It was a half hearted attempt at humor, given the circumstances.

im sure he will recover and make the parts...slowly.

great to know that these are form the original mold!

That is terribly unfortunate, I feel bad about the timing of all this now..:(

I wonder who the guy is he mentioned that made the original inquiry? I sent a message when I ordered thanking their company and Mr. J L Reade for making these parts to begin with and still offering these parts on their site, and I also mentioned that they might see a bit of a boost in sales for those parts relatively soon too. But I myself never received any reply from them.

Nice catch on that 3rd ANH greeblie too, Chris! I didn't even recognize it until you pointed it out. I wonder now if there's anything else in this kit that they might have used?

-Carson

I got a new message from Malcolm Reade, the owner, that I think is an important update for all of us to read...

"We have been inundated (overwhelmed even) with orders for the dummy radial engine cylinders from around the world since early this morning.

I did explain to the guy who made the original enquiry that:

a) I broke my leg a couple of weeks ago
b) My father (who made the mould for the cylinders originally) was in the final stages of lung cancer. He died last Tuesday and we had his funeral yesterday.
c) That the mould is very old and worn and that any manufacturing using it is an absolute swine of a job, pulled muscles, burned hands etc.

I am a one-man business operating in my spare time (I am a nuclear engineering physicist by profession) and manufacture injection moulded boat and aero plane parts at weekends. It used to be my father's business.

My injection moulding machine is a single shot 0.75 ounce manually operated bench-top affair, some sixty years old. It's only slightly younger than me!

I guess by now you are getting my message that I just can't cope with the volumes of these cylinders that you guys require, leastwise not all at once!

I have had to take my web site down, and will be attempting to refund via PayPal all those who ordered cylinders from us today.

My best regards

Malcolm Reade"

So, many of us may be getting refunds today, but it sounds like he'll just need time to catch up with these and start taking orders again later. Unfortunately, it was terrible timing for him with the holidays and his father's passing.

... a run of injection molded plastic castings perhaps? :D

I also got the same e-mail. It looks like Mr. Reade sent the payment back as a separate transaction. I haven't accepted it yet and shot him a reply. Everyone is going to lose cash if he does them all that way... especially him. Paypal charged him a fee on the original payments which isn't credited unless that transaction is "refunded". Sending the same amount he received as a separate payment will have him wind up in the red. I'm not so worried about my couple of bucks. More worried about larger loss for him given this whole thing has been an overwhelming mess already.

nice catching that and sending him the note.

maybe he can just keep the orders and fill them as he goes.

A one shot "hand" injected press would mean he would need to make a whole bunch of parts, but maybe he could/would figure out a time table and go forward?

Anyone ask?

And he could up his price to make it less painful for him. I'd certainly not mind paying more for these.

Some more info from Malcolm...

"I'm going to put together a new web site over the Christmas holiday and try to do some manufacturing of the cylinders over the same period to build up stock. Up until now, we've probably sold no more than 20 or 30 of the cylinders per year to the retro model aircraft guys in the UK, and I've always dreaded receiving orders for those!

Initially, I will contact each of the folks who ordered today and invite them to re-submit. Thereafter I will put the new web site on line and pray fervently that we aren't bombarded again like we were today. I will include PayPal shopping cart buttons for both UK and overseas orders. We posted some cylinders out to the USA a couple of weeks ago and the postage was around the £5.00GPB mark, so the postage rates will have to rise I'm afraid. The run up to Christmas is a bad time to be sending small packages overseas from the UK, all sorts of stuff goes missing...

Please rest assured that ordinarily we would be grateful for the business, that said, I just couldn't stand at my workbench with a broken leg at this time of year in an unheated workshop manufacturing these items at a complete loss. It's simply not the way to run a business...

If there is ongoing interest, I wouldn't be beyond manufacturing a new injection mould for the cylinders at some point.

Could you please let me have a link to your Forum? I really would like to see what you do with these things. I do know that they were also used on the original Thunderbirds puppet series (Am I just inviting a load of extra work for myself)?"

I'm gathering some prop photos for him now and will also send him a link to the forum.

I was afraid of the onslaught this would bring to his website. It's happened before. I remember when the Obi grenade was found. There was a replica grenade maker that got very busy and a grenade expert that was swamped with emails. Malcolm seems like a very nice guy and he's dealing with this well.

I wonder who the guy is he mentioned that made the original inquiry?

I had assumed it was you Carson. Guess not. Maybe someone else spotted your discussion in the model airplane forum? I just noticed it today while searching for more info on the kit.

Nice catch on that 3rd ANH greeblie too, Chris! I didn't even recognize it until you pointed it out. I wonder now if there's anything else in this kit that they might have used?

-Carson

From what I've seen of the full Tomtit kit so far it looks like it's mostly balsa wood except for the wheels and propeller. I'm guessing that the prop makers only had these engine detail kits with the three different parts. I also downloaded the PDF catalog from Reade before the site went down. I did not recognize any other bits in there.
I think this definitely opens up another avenue for research into other ANH prop parts though. There could be other RC plane parts that were used.

Wow, these are grenade or Derwent engine-level discoveries!! Good job!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back