ANH Graflex Build Help

What you can also do is look at Amazon/eBay for round glass cabochon. I used one of these since mine was also missing the glass eye. I secured it with a small spring and the difference is minimal. That way you get to keep the original glass enclosure. I think size is 10mm? Not to sure but it's a good alternative.

UPDATE:

Just received my reproduction glass eye in the mail. Was not aware when I ordered it that the only screw threads on it are meant for a blade retention system, meaning it wouldn't screw into the metal shell of the graflex. It would fit in, just wouldn't screw in.

My Fix: I filled the entire hole until it couldn't be packed down any more with a 2 part plumbers putty, then forced the glass eye in until it was flush. Hopefully this will work as a permanent fix.

Any suggestions on how to dull that chrome slightly? I'm thinking steel wool.

Joel

GlassEye.jpg

Some of the real glass eye frames are chromed and shinier than the real Graflex body too. I've seen a number of varieties.

In addition to steel wool, you could also try one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They're basically a very soft sandpaper and would be gentler than steel wool.

Just tried it, don't think your source on that info is very reliable. ;)

Perhaps it also depends on the quality of the paper ... over here the news can be rather rough ;) ... Anyhow it's like Serenity just said I was going for a bit smoother approach than using steel wool.

Chaim

Perhaps it also depends on the quality of the paper ... over here the news can be rather rough ;) ... Anyhow it's like Serenity just said I was going for a bit smoother approach than using steel wool.

Chaim

I just used some fine sandpaper because steel wool didn't work either. :)

Joel

Roys parts came in today! So of course I had to finish everything right away.

Special thanks to Sym-Cha and Roy for the help!

Last edited:
Latest Question: Which of these have the correct clamp position for an ANH saber; A or B?

I've seen tons of pics of both positions so I really can't find a definitive answer.

View attachment 577641
Hi and welcome.

I wrestled with this question just recently, and I decided the 9 o'clock position (emitter view with ring tabs at 12) is overwhelmingly definitive for this saber. Mainly, this is because the Anakin ROTS has the control at this same position, but also that it appears in ANH itself. While it's an unavoidable fact that the control box is in the opposite position when Obi-Wan first gives the saber to Luke, we now have two things to consider: firstly, that the control box position itself varied from scene to scene (probably due to the absence of the clamp locking screw), and secondly, that because the 9 o'clock position appears in ANH shows--continuity-wise--that Luke instinctively switched the control box back to its originally-intended position shortly after receiving it, thereby legitimizing the ROTS, ESB, TFA, and probable future version as the official appearance. The same could apply to the 7-to-6 grip and the bubble strip-to-circuit board transitions. These modifications could easily be inferred as alterations done by Obi-Wan during maintenance procedures to keep the unit operational under the circumstances (removal of the covertech charge port and installation of the D-ring for a more convenient charge and carrying methods, adding an additional grip in anticipation of passing the saber to Luke at a young age to promote a better grip of the hilt in small hands, and the installation of bubble strips on both Anakin's and his own saber due to the simple unavailability of circuit boards). Of course, there's a limit, since you can't ever reconcile the other ROTS details which are vastly different under close inspection, and it's for this reason that detail-crazed collector's are in pain over the fact that they didn't just use a Graflex in ROTS.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back