Anakin Starkiller vs Solo's Hold Luke V2 Saber (Plus D-ring, Card & Paint Help/Info)

Re: Russrep vs Solo's Hold vs Anakin Starkiller Luke V2 Saber replica? (Plus D-ring H

I guess this sort of leads me to another question. What is the best most durable paint for a V2 (should I make this a separate thread)

i am on this boat now... i ended up doing with flat black rustoleum. though i haven't painted it yet, i am now leaning towards semi gloss... if the semi gloss ends up too shiny i will lightly hit it with deglosser

did you happen to grab a set of trooper trent's ROTJ stencils? they are awesome! and he started a second run, well worth the money and super screen accurate

Re: Russrep vs Solo's Hold vs Anakin Starkiller Luke V2 Saber replica? (Plus D-ring H

A lot of this info is in the Starkiller V2 thread and the corresponding first run thread. I did mine with Semi-gloss.

i am on this boat now... i ended up doing with flat black rustoleum. though i haven't painted it yet, i am now leaning towards semi gloss... if the semi gloss ends up too shiny i will lightly hit it with deglosser

did you happen to grab a set of trooper trent's ROTJ stencils? they are awesome! and he started a second run, well worth the money and super screen accurate
I most certainly did, although to be honest i'm horrified of the prospect of doing it myself. Traditionally me and paint have been mortal enemies so i'm actually searching the forum to find someone with experience and skill to do it for me. If I can't find anyone I guess i'll have to man up, but until that time i'm happy just being a coward and paying someone to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of this info is in the Starkiller V2 thread and the corresponding first run thread. I did mine with Semi-gloss.
I read the first run thread but I didn't quite have the patience to go though all 50 or 60 pages. I'll give it another look. What brand of paint did you use?

I most certainly did, although to be honest i'm horrified of the prospect of doing it myself. Traditionally me and paint have been mortal enemies so i'm actually searching the forum to find someone with experience and skill to do it for me. If I can't find anyone I guess i'll have to man up, but until that time i'm happy just being a coward and paying someone to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I read the first run thread but I didn't quite have the patience to go though all 50 or 60 pages. I'll give it another look. What brand of paint did you use?

dont forget to grab a v2 lever from roy at wannawanga.com if you need a graflex clamp, roman has a pre-order thread in the project run forum as we speak

I remember somebody did a good, authentic paintjob on their v2 by putting tape on a touch try paint job and ripping it off, it looked spot on to the real weathering. Although the weathering pattern wasn't screen accurate. It might be a good option if you aren't confident with stencilling or making a fake weathered paint job look authentic. Check out the other starkiller v2 threads.

dont forget to grab a v2 lever from roy at wannawanga.com if you need a graflex clamp, roman has a pre-order thread in the project run forum as we speak
Haha, you're talking to the wrong guy! I ordered that lever almost 6 hours ago along with the circuit board from sloth furnace! I might order one of romans new clamps but for the time being i'm keeping my eye out for the genuine article. Since it will be on display next to two real graflex clamps I didn't want the difference to stick out!

I remember somebody did a good, authentic paintjob on their v2 by putting tape on a touch try paint job and ripping it off, it looked spot on to the real weathering. Although the weathering pattern wasn't screen accurate. It might be a good option if you aren't confident with stencilling or making a fake weathered paint job look authentic. Check out the other starkiller v2 threads.
I think I saw that one, you're right it did look very good, alas being the perfectionist that I am just knowing that someone pulled off a perfectly stenciled version is going to annoy me until I either manage to do it myself or find someone I can pay to do it for me. Metal and paint is just not my area of expertise. I'm a wood and varnish guy, unfortunately lightsabers aren't made of wood.

So was it ever confirmed or denied that the original clamp card did or did not have silver traces?

That's still up in the air; some prefer the contrasting colors, some think it were gold traces. It's all personal preferences.

For further reading, I recommend the V2 thread proper, starting at page 26 if you want to see when the SWCA photos came into play.

Hi guys!

I just made a comparison pic with my D-ring on my Roman's OB1 compared to the pic from the Mechanismo book.

OB1-WannaWanga-D-ring-comparison.jpg OB1-WannaWanga-D-ring-2.jpg

I think it fits perfectly!
I sell them here: http://wannawanga.com/products/d-ring-with-clip/

And here's the complete hires scan I just made from the Mechanismo book, for reference:
Mechanismo-Harry-Harrison.jpg

Roy

Is Sloth Furnace doing a run on the circuit cards in the Project Runs? Or do I need to PM him to order one? I only ask, cause I'm not seeing it. & does the Starkiller V2 come with the d-ring?

Is Sloth Furnace doing a run on the circuit cards in the Project Runs? Or do I need to PM him to order one? I only ask, cause I'm not seeing it. & does the Starkiller V2 come with the d-ring?

I would check sloths website and see if he has any V2 circuit boards left

I know he's working to TFA circuit boards as we speak

I ended up purchasing 2 v2 boards. 1 soldered and 1 not, I prefer the solder but that's just me. if we ever find out they weren't I have a back up one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would check sloths website and see if he has any V2 circuit boards left

I know he's working to TFA circuit boards as we speak

I ended up purchasing 2 v2 boards. 1 soldered and 1 not, I prefer the solder but that's just me. if we ever find out they weren't I have a back up one

Thank you.
Do you have his web site address? Or a link?

Thank you.
Just go to slothfurance.com and scroll to the bottom, he has plenty left.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.
I did the same thing, but the indecision is killing me!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys!

I just made a comparison pic with my D-ring on my Roman's OB1 compared to the pic from the Mechanismo book.

View attachment 574701 View attachment 574702

I think it fits perfectly!
I sell them here: http://wannawanga.com/products/d-ring-with-clip/

And here's the complete hires scan I just made from the Mechanismo book, for reference:
View attachment 574703

Roy
Thank you so much Roy, you've done a great service with this post and forever on people will know of your d-ring!
By the way, how did you get your d-ring on so perfectly? And last question, is that a romans hand wheel? and if so how are the sides so smooth and without machine marks and the edges so nice and rounded?

Re: Anakin Starkiller vs Solo's Hold Luke V2 Saber (Plus D-ring, Card & Paint Help/In

So are you guys saying that these two pics are inconclusive in regards to wether there is silver on the traces of the card?
1.jpg9.jpg
At least to me it looks pretty conclusive for the silver traces, correct me if you see otherwise.

By the way, how did you get your d-ring on so perfectly? And last question, is that a romans hand wheel? and if so how are the sides so smooth and without machine marks and the edges so nice and rounded?

D-ring: lot of practice with the Kobold clip!

And the hand wheel: I completely polished it using a dremel. I like the chromed look better than the weathered look.

D-ring: lot of practice with the Kobold clip!

And the hand wheel: I completely polished it using a dremel. I like the chromed look better than the weathered look.
Wow, Excellent job! She looks gorgeous! But what method did you use to instll the d-ring? The regular cut a 16'th from each side and then open it up with pliers?

Wow, Excellent job! She looks gorgeous! But what method did you use to instll the d-ring? The regular cut a 16'th from each side and then open it up with pliers?

that's exactly how I attached mine. little snip and then wrapped a rag around needle nose pilers, put pliers inside D ring and opened pliers. pliers slightly opened D ring, slide D ring into place, opened pilers wrapped opened pliers with rag, pitched D ring closed

Re: Anakin Starkiller vs Solo's Hold Luke V2 Saber (Plus D-ring, Card & Paint Help/In

Gold and silver traces ... no doubt about it :)

Chaim

So are you guys saying that these two pics are inconclusive in regards to wether there is silver on the traces of the card?
View attachment 574757View attachment 574758
At least to me it looks pretty conclusive for the silver traces, correct me if you see otherwise.

yup some say they see it, others don't. I still claim I see it soldered

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back