Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Wait, now Roman ALSO has a V2?!

So there's the SH coming soon, AND Roman's?!

I know, I don't facebook, so I was pretty confused to the references. But it looks great, and I have little doubt Roman will be getting even more of my money. Do I really need a third V2? Apparently!

I will be starting a Romans V2 thread tonight, his being steel I don’t want to confuse people in here with aging chemicals..

Many members tend to not read the entire thread.. if the beginning of this thread says a14, and the end says b12 they could possibly wasted time and material.. and damage their sabers

I know, I don't facebook, so I was pretty confused to the references. But it looks great, and I have little doubt Roman will be getting even more of my money. Do I really need a third V2? Apparently!

Can never have enough! :p

Hi Halliwax, I've been thinking a lot about this thread (which is great by the way) in preparation for my ISYHCANL build. Just wondering what your thoughts are on self etch primer? I was intending on using one, but having seen your results, I'm wondering if it's necessary? My concern is that Rustoleum don't appear to do a black SE primer, and I'm a bit wary of mixing brands. Also, there's the problem of having a visible cross section of the paint layer (not a problem on the black part obviously if I find a suitable brand, but might not look great on the copper part of the neck). Just wondering what your thoughts are? Do you think I'll be ok going on to bare aluminium if I rough it up a bit prior to application?

Hi Halliwax, I've been thinking a lot about this thread (which is great by the way) in preparation for my ISYHCANL build. Just wondering what your thoughts are on self etch primer? I was intending on using one, but having seen your results, I'm wondering if it's necessary? My concern is that Rustoleum don't appear to do a black SE primer, and I'm a bit wary of mixing brands. Also, there's the problem of having a visible cross section of the paint layer (not a problem on the black part obviously if I find a suitable brand, but might not look great on the copper part of the neck). Just wondering what your thoughts are? Do you think I'll be ok going on to bare aluminium if I rough it up a bit prior to application?

No primer required if you clean the surface correctly

Originals never used primer, and probably weren’t cleaned or prepped correctly either lol

No primer required if you clean the surface correctly

Originals never used primer, and probably weren’t cleaned or prepped correctly either lol
That's good to know. Thanks! I'll forget the primer then. Good to know it'll be screen accurate too :) Cheers (y)

Any news on an insert to add weight?

I designed a aluminum plug that is machined to the inside diameter of the starkiller v2. I actually had a local shop give me a quote on having 50 made. And was planning on doing a “plug” run

But my real job has taken up all my time, and I still have to open up a legit business account for PayPal..

My plug has recess for the coneknob and set screws that hold the starkiller v2 together. It’s still at the shop, but I might have some pictures of it at home

It’s nothing fancy, just a cylinder that slides inside that fits tolerance tight

Halliwax Have you looked into Archive-X paints? They have replicated the original Floquil paint colors that were used on the ship models, they could have been what was used for the brown/brass section. Roof brown looks like one that might be a decent match.

Halliwax Have you looked into Archive-X paints? They have replicated the original Floquil paint colors that were used on the ship models, they could have been what was used for the brown/brass section. Roof brown looks like one that might be a decent match.

I have that written down somewhere, but never looked into it.

I wouldn’t mind trying it, any special place you can order them from? Love to try them and document it

I designed a aluminum plug that is machined to the inside diameter of the starkiller v2. I actually had a local shop give me a quote on having 50 made. And was planning on doing a “plug” run

But my real job has taken up all my time, and I still have to open up a legit business account for PayPal..

My plug has recess for the coneknob and set screws that hold the starkiller v2 together. It’s still at the shop, but I might have some pictures of it at home

It’s nothing fancy, just a cylinder that slides inside that fits tolerance tight
Sounds great. Would it fit my builders kit version too?

Sounds great. Would it fit my builders kit version too?

Thinking real hard right now.... I believe so..... I have to double check tomorrow

If not I can re design it to fit booth

I was also thinking, the plug I made makes the v2 super heavy.. probably heavier then the real prop

Starkiller’s very first run back in 2015 probably matches the weight perfectly

I was debating on boring the plug out enough to lighten it to match the weight of his first run

The shop has the master, my friend works there, so it’s not like I can go out into my shed in check. I’ll take a ride out there Saturday see if I can pick it up and check for ya

Thinking real hard right now.... I believe so..... I have to double check tomorrow

If not I can re design it to fit booth

I was also thinking, the plug I made makes the v2 super heavy.. probably heavier then the real prop

Starkiller’s very first run back in 2015 probably matches the weight perfectly

I was debating on boring the plug out enough to lighten it to match the weight of his first run

The shop has the master, my friend works there, so it’s not like I can go out into my shed in check. I’ll take a ride out there Saturday see if I can pick it up and check for ya
Thats really good of you and is most appreciated. It’d be nice to add some weight to it as I’m now going to be used as a belt hanger for my new Clothears Luke Jedi costume as well as on display.

I’ve now decided to keep it more shiny like it was at the time of filming and hope to get another v2 to really weather up....but which one, possibly the RP Steely.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back