Am I REALLY the only one disappointed with TFA?

I can't imagine what he would have had to do to be more like Han Solo in that flick. That's just crazy talk.

You crazy, brah.

:D

Well, I noticed that was the only thing you quoted from my list of things that sucked about TFA. And I must have 25 things listed there. So I'm assuming you agree with all the rest of the reasons the film was so bad.

In that case, I think we're mostly in agreement, then. :D

The Wook

Well, I noticed that was the only thing you quoted from my list of things that sucked about TFA. And I must have 20 things listed there. So I'm assuming you agree with all the rest of the reasons the film was so bad.

In that case, I think we're mostly in agreement, then. :D

The Wook

Nah, like I said, I couldn't get further than the Han one, since it was so completely out there. :thumbsup

I actually feel that this could have been simply addressed in the crawl to allow for the successes of the OT to have mattered. We see no tangible effects that the OT made any difference. A couple of sentences in the opening could have completely shifted my point of view regarding this criticism.

Happily-ever-after was not possible in order to have new movies and we needed to have the original characters back but show that the OT mattered. Couldn't this multi-billion machine come up with something more? Therein lies my disappointment.

So, a few thoughts.

1. We needed the OT characters.

Look, I understand where anyone's coming from when they argue "But we could've put the new film 10000 years in the future and left the OT heroes alone!" That, however, is the perspective of a hardcore fan, not the casual fans who've seen the movie "only" 4-5 times in their lives or whatever. Let alone people who've seen the original maybe once or twice and that's it. I realize this may be hard to imagine...but that's actually most of the folks out there as a potential audience. They're familiar with the films, but that's it. On these boards, if I say "Incom T-65B" pretty much everyone here knows I mean "X-wing." Outside of these forums, I get funny looks followed by "Oh my god, you are SUCH a dork." Which, you know, is fair, because I am, and I own that. But the people saying I'm a dork, or who are amazed at my bar trivia prowess when it comes to Star Wars...those are the people that Disney is selling to, not us. I mean, us, too, but more them. What Disney REALLY wants to do is turn them...into us. But it can't do that unless it gives them something familiar beyond the mere trappings of the Star Wars universe (e.g. beyond lightsabres, Jedi, and laser guns). The best way to do that is to firmly root the new film in material derived directly from the original three, and the best way to do THAT was to just continue the story of all the OT characters. If you get rid of them, then people have no touchstone to connect to, and the film becomes "Star Wars in name only." I mean, even Star Trek: The Next Generation made a point to have both Scotty and Spock show up in its first season.

2. What happened between then and now?

I do agree with the criticism that some have voiced, that there wasn't enough of an explanation of what happened between ROTJ and TFA, but the problem is that you have 30 years of history to cover. And it's basically...impossible to do while keeping the narrative flow going. There's just way too much to cover. Plus, all Star Wars movies have always begun in media res, throwing the viewer into essentially an unfamiliar setting in the midst of the story, to figure out what the hell is going on. There's also a degree to which the main characters often act as audience surrogates. So, Finn shows up knowing literally nothing of the world beyond Starkiller base, and Po Dameron and Rey don't really seem to know a ton about what happened in the galaxy over the last 30 years (because they weren't or were only barely alive for it). I expect that much of the detail will be revealed (A) in the course of the remaining two films, and (B) through secondary sources like future novels and comics and such.

I think the OT absolutely mattered. The Empire was defeated. We don't know enough about the 30-years between ROTJ and TFA to know that, say, there weren't something like 20 years of lasting peace and prosperity, and that the FO only rose in the last 10 years to threaten the galaxy anew. We don't know enough about what happened with the Jedi, either. I expect we'll find out, though. But I don't think any of this suggests that the OT "doesn't matter."

The success of the Rebelion defeating the Empire was the validation. That had nothing to do with the strory being told in TFA and was therefore not necessary.

But they really didn't. For all intents and purposes, the First Order is still the Empire except for the pretty red stripe. I stayed out of this talk for so long because it's just one big circle and now I'm sucked into it.

I stand by my B+. I'm glad it's back but I was disappointed. I had higher, likely unrealistic, expectations.

...When Disney recruited him (Harrison Ford) for this film, with a contract befitting a King's ransom, he suddenly changed his tune, and started saying positive things, and yukking it up with fans, and even doing parody sketches on Kimmel, etc. I don't buy it for a second. He was acting. He did a much better job acting like he liked Star Wars, than he did acting in TFA itself.

The Wook

I agree and disagree with this. Harrison Ford had a VERY NEAR death experience with his plane. I think that really shook him up. If you've been unappreciative of the very thing that made you famous, you might walk away from that type of accident and suddenly have a VERY different outlook on life... especially if that life was almost taken away from you. I'd like to think that this is a new HF showing his appreciation, giving back to the fans and living life to the fullest. :)

Not sure why I always read this thread. I must be a sadist. I say this because the single most irritating thing I've ever dealt with is test screening feedback.

I've sat through test screenings and even as an editor sat in the meetings afterwords dissecting those test screenings. It's amazing how one comment can kill a joke from making the final cut. You may have a ton of people laughing, but one guy raises his hand afterward and says "I didn't get why that was funny..."

Cut it.

WHY!??!?!

The movie I'm STILL working on (because of test screening changes) has been the worst. We screened it in California, certain jokes go gangbusters. Screened it in New York, no laughs. So everything gets cut and rewritten. I liked the scenes as they originally played. They were hilarious. Now they get laughs on both coasts, but the laughs aren't as big now. The laughs are now even across both coasts, but they're more like chuckles. I'm not a fan of the new cut. They played it too safe.

But that's how it goes with the amount of money put in.

So with ALL that kind of crap taken into consideration, with the amount of fan service needed to play to make sure TFA made money, I am OVER-Fraking-WHELMED how much I enjoyed this flick, and I commend JJ for taking it on.

It would be tough to find a movie that has more people to please... and people that are so friggin protective of the property.

I agree and disagree with this. Harrison Ford had a VERY NEAR death experience with his plane. I think that really shook him up. If you've been unappreciative of the very thing that made you famous, you might walk away from that type of accident and suddenly have a VERY different outlook on life... especially if that life was almost taken away from you. I'd like to think that this is a new HF showing his appreciation, giving back to the fans and living life to the fullest. :)

SofaKIng, you make an interesting point, and I hope you're right.

And yet, I stand by my main point, that he phoned in his performance in TFA. I think he just played himself. Some have argued that it's unrealistic to expect a 70-year old Han Solo to be the same wise-cracking, cynical, and arrogant scoundrel he was in most of the OT. And I agree with that, to an extent. But I would wager that Ford didn't even bother to re-watch the OT in preparation for this reprisal of his role. I didn't see anything up on that screen from him that made me believe he was Han Solo. All I saw was a 70-year old Harrison Ford.

The Wook

ps~and if anyone's tempted to cite that no-look blaster shot he did as evidence of Han's coolness, please don't, because it was downright cringe-worthy.

I thought Ford was terrific. And there's another OT character who since 1977 I have barley given a second thought to who totally won me over in TFA. Chewie.

Wait...what?! Why didn't you like Chewie all these years??!!

The Wook

Liked? yes, but he was just sort of there for me. He had some good moments but I never really felt strongly engaged by him until TFA, where I really enjoyed how he was utilized. And I knew I could get you riled up. :)

Finn shows up knowing literally nothing of the world beyond Starkiller base, and Po Dameron and Rey don't really seem to know a ton about what happened in the galaxy over the last 30 years (because they weren't or were only barely alive for it). I expect that much of the detail will be revealed (A) in the course of the remaining two films, and (B) through secondary sources like future novels and comics and such.

I think the OT absolutely mattered. The Empire was defeated. We don't know enough about the 30-years between ROTJ and TFA to know that, say, there weren't something like 20 years of lasting peace and prosperity, and that the FO only rose in the last 10 years to threaten the galaxy anew. We don't know enough about what happened with the Jedi, either. I expect we'll find out, though. But I don't think any of this suggests that the OT "doesn't matter."

As I said where you quoted me, I think the crawl could have given us some notion of how the OT mattered in a simple sentence or two that could have eliminated this criticism from my mind but it didn't.

The fact that Finn, Po, and Rey really don't know much about what happened emphasizes that it didn't matter. Everything's basically the same as it was then. I, too, hope that we get more of an explanation in the future. Preferably through the films as I found Aftermath difficult to get through and not very engaging but this was a missed opportunity.

Clearly there are very different opinions and interpretations. For me, TFA diminished the OT. For me, the OT is diminished because the Empire is still there just with a different name. The ships, troopers, and major weapon are all clearly evolved from the Empire. There's another emperor type figure in place and he has a dark clad henchman with familial ties to our heroes. The Empire/First Order couldn't of been out of business for long so how did their being "defeated" matter? Luke is isolated as he was in ANH. Han and Chewie are smuggling, as they were in ANH. Leia is leading a resistance, as she was in ANH. They're all, figuratively, right back where they started. It didn't matter. And, as I said earlier, if they're back where they started just because "history repeats itself," then what's the point of any of it?

I absolutely understand why so many people love the movie but I don't agree with a lot of those thoughts. I hope the same can be said for those looking at people like me who were disappointed. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, just to explain where I'm coming from. I like to think that I can keep an open mind but I don't anticipate anyone changing my mind either.

Liked? yes, but he was just sort of there for me. He had some good moments but I never really felt strongly engaged by him until TFA, where I really enjoyed how he was utilized. And I knew I could get you riled up. :)

That you did. lol

But I guess I sorta understand. People oftentimes ask me if Chewie's always been my favorite Star Wars character. I tell them, no, that even though I thought he was cool in the first Star Wars movie, he was overshadowed by my favorite "thing" the film introduced us to: the Force. I tell them Obi-Wan Kenobi was my favorite character.

But over the years, Chewie became my #1 favorite. Sadly, he looked bad and was so out-of-character in TFA. Although I did feel actual physical pain when he got shot. And I laughed heartily when he got up to play Dejarik--like a dog who's milking being sick, but as soon as he hears his favorite squeak toy he suddenly is all better! lmao

The Wook

...and if anyone's tempted to cite that no-look blaster shot he did as evidence of Han's coolness, please don't, because it was downright cringe-worthy.

Totally agree and I'm surprised that I haven't seen this criticized more often. The no-look completely took me out of an otherwise engaging scene. Completely out of place.

As I said where you quoted me, I think the crawl could have given us some notion of how the OT mattered in a simple sentence or two that could have eliminated this criticism from my mind but it didn't.

I don't disagree. I think in the post-release thread I hacked up a version of the opening crawl to kind of deal with that. It was longer by maybe a sentence or two, but it basically helped to explain what the hell was going on with the First Order, the Resistance, the Republic, and the former Empire. The sort of "Wait, WHAT happened?!" reaction I had was something that I do think was a shortcoming of the film. It just didn't kill my enjoyment overall. It's just something I think they could've done better.

The fact that Finn, Po, and Rey really don't know much about what happened emphasizes that it didn't matter. Everything's basically the same as it was then. I, too, hope that we get more of an explanation in the future. Preferably through the films as I found Aftermath difficult to get through and not very engaging but this was a missed opportunity.

To be fair, Finn's knowledge is limited because he's been a conditioned Stormtrooper. Po...didn't really have a chance or reason to talk about what's been going on. And Rey's been on the ass-end of the galaxy just trying to survive, although she seems to have heard about Luke Skywalker, but otherwise didn't talk about much with respect to what happened between ROTJ and TFA. I think that, absent, like, a carbonite-frozen-for-30-years Lando showing up and saying "I don't understand. what happened?" nobody would have had much reason to explain to any of the characters what had happened and why, given what was going on on-screen and everyone's focus. Now, admittedly, that fact in and of itself is one of the other weaknesses of the film, in my opinion. There was so much action happening, that it didn't have time for events to "breathe" and let us figure out just what's going on and what came before. There was no one like Obi-Wan to give a quick "Previously on Star Wars..." description about the past, however cursory that description might have been.

On the other hand, there was a lot of action to cover. I think, maybe, if you'd cut the Rathtar sequence altogether and simply had Han show up and talk about what happened briefly, that might have helped. But I have a hard time coming up with any other sequence where the film might have taken a second to say "Ok, so, here's what you folks probably don't understand" and explain the history of the last 30 years in-universe.

[quuote]Clearly there are very different opinions and interpretations. For me, TFA diminished the OT. For me, the OT is diminished because the Empire is still there just with a different name. The ships, troopers, and major weapon are all clearly evolved from the Empire. There's another emperor type figure in place and he has a dark clad henchman with familial ties to our heroes. The Empire/First Order couldn't of been out of business for long so how did their being "defeated" matter? Luke is isolated as he was in ANH. Han and Chewie are smuggling, as they were in ANH. Leia is leading a resistance, as she was in ANH. They're all, figuratively, right back where they started. It didn't matter. And, as I said earlier, if they're back where they started just because "history repeats itself," then what's the point of any of it?[/quote]

Did you ever read Watchmen? I know, seems like a nonsequitor, but I'm going somewhere with this. There's a bit at the end of the story where Adrian says "In the end, I did it!" or something like that, and the not-quite-god Dr. Manhattan says "The end? Nothing ever ends, Adrian." And ultimately, that's kind of the point. You do your best to make the world (or galaxy, in this case) a better place, but...nothing ever "ends." The struggle doesn't end. The fight against darkness never ends, even if it's beaten back temporarily. Babylon 5 deals with this to a degree, as well.

I mean, yeah, the OT heroes are all kind of back "where they started," but there's clearly a lot more that happened in the interim before they got to that point, that we didn't see. We didn't see Han and Leia's marriage disintegrate. We didn't see Luke go into seclusion. We didn't see the Imperial remnant forces fight on after the death of the Emperor, nor whatever accord they signed with the Republic so that the war could finally, truly end. We didn't see the First Order rise, either.

People often compare the original Star Wars trilogy to the events surrounding World War II. But I think that, in a way, what we're seeing in TFA (and likely beyond) is that the OT is a lot closer to, say, World War I in terms of its ultimate results. You had a defeated aggressor who was ultimately forced to accept harsh terms for peace and disarm, but who later found a new leader to inspire them to rearm, and become an even greater threat. None of that means that the original fight wasn't worth fighting, or that the efforts people made weren't worth it, but it does mean that they didn't fully succeed.

In that sense, yeah, I agree that it "undermines" the "happily ever after" quality of the OT. That said, I at least always expected that they'd do these things to the characters (including killing Han -- my favorite character) if they were to reappear in the new films. It's very, very difficult to tell a new story that somehow maintains "happily ever after" for those characters, includes them in the new movie, and creates genuine dramatic stakes for them and for the new characters.

I don't think it's necessarily as blithely tossed off by simply saying "Well, history repeats itself." I do think that the film would've benefitted from some more exposition on the 30-year gap and whether the fight from the OT was all for naught. Something tells me it wasn't, but that we just won't see that in the new films. Now that they're making films outside of the "trilogies," though, maybe we'll see some of that state of the galaxy in a future film to help fill in the blanks.

I absolutely understand why so many people love the movie but I don't agree with a lot of those thoughts. I hope the same can be said for those looking at people like me who were disappointed. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, just to explain where I'm coming from. I like to think that I can keep an open mind but I don't anticipate anyone changing my mind either.

I wouldn't expect to change your mind to explain why "this is good." The only thing I'd try to do is provide a different perspective that might allow you to...hmm...if not necessarily "enjoy" the new film, at least "appreciate" it to some degree, or at least help you to maybe insulate your opinion of the OT from whatever negative reaction you have to TFA and beyond.

I loathed the prequels. They had a similar "diminishing" effect for me on the OT, in a weird way, and I couldn't "unsee" them once I saw them at all. It ultimately took a lot of distance, time, and actually getting into the Clone Wars cartoon for me to begin to be able to approach them as "not entirely crap." I still think the movies themselves are pretty terrible, but the overarching story is...more tolerable for me now. Mostly because I look at the characters and the events from a slightly different perspective. I still don't choose to go back and rewatch the PT (I'd rather watch Clone Wars and imagine my own "head canon"), but it's definitely lessened the impact all of that had for me on the OT.

That was non-starter. After the issues with the PT, you don't spend $4B to acquire a franchise and then make your first effort almost entirely divorced from that very franchise in the mind of the casual fan. I'll repeat, you provide the familiar iconography and characters and situations to ground your story and then move forward.

No man I disagree strongly and I have evidence to support it.
Star Trek TNG.
Big success. Years into the future from TOS. You had like one original character as a touchstone. Well two, the Enterprise of course granted a new ship.

TV is a completely different world. Especially at the time when TNG was on.

They had 23 episodes (or at least a 13 season order) to establish themselves.... TFA had 2 hours to win over millions of people who lost interest in Star Wars (like myself) after the prequels were so terrible.

I literally got rid of everything I had... it wasn't in anger... just didn't care anymore and slowly got rid of everything.

only 3 years ago, even before TFA was announced, did I finally get over my hate of the prequels and revisit the OT.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back