Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

I've built a full working hero. It's not a simple build, but if a hundred grand were on the line...

Also, people in this thread seem to be responding to statements from Greg Jein as though he was on here posting. Rather than what's actually happening, which is low post handles are logging on, or people are creating new accounts to comment in this thread and pass on hearsay about what GJ might have said to someone.

It's probably best not to speak for the guy himself or to respond to what someone heard from a friend he said.
Right, untill Greg chimes in or publicly releases a statement, it is all BS so far.

As to who could do this as you have posted there are quite a few here I believe could pull it off

Right, untill Greg chimes in or publicly releases a statement, it is all BS so far.

As to who could do this as you have posted there are quite a few here I believe could pull it off

Right. Anything about Mr. Jein or his involvement is purely hearsay until more information comes out.

And I, too have built a working hero. Lots of people have. It would not be difficult for an expert craftsman capable of molding and casting fiberglass shells, lathing metal parts, etc. And, as noted, talented builders like Jon Paul Lussier have done a great job of simulating aging and wear on replicas.

It wouldn't be hard to glob paint all over, simulate yellowed glues, and call a replica an original.

Also, the P2 body of the auction piece appears to have some paint chipping, revealing a light white/gray color underneath. Is there even a hint of the black paint which should be underneath the gray, from the period when the props were painted up as the black-and-whites (pre-Wah Chang repaint)?

Also, people in this thread seem to be responding to statements from Greg Jein as though he was on here posting.
It's probably best not to speak for the guy himself or to respond to what someone heard from a friend he said.

Yes, that is the extended version of what I pointed out. The auction basically said that anything in the TEXT part of the description is the information that was given to them, and they simply published it. I don't think the auction has vetted the description, like the blurb says.

Looks like Timmy got in trouble with Moms, and took the internet away from him ,as he is oh so silent today:rolleyes:

I've built a full working hero. It's not a simple build, but if a hundred grand were on the line...

Also, people in this thread seem to be responding to statements from Greg Jein as though he was on here posting. Rather than what's actually happening, which is low post handles are logging on, or people are creating new accounts to comment in this thread and pass on hearsay about what GJ might have said to someone.

It's probably best not to speak for the guy himse

Well, I, for one, look forward to hearing more from these Newer Board Members that are suddenly appearing, giving singular testimonials on this subject, and as quickly disappearing. Their unbiased and objective opinions, motivated solely by the need for civil discourse and a fair and measured assessment of all the evidence, are quite refreshing and have given me pause for thought and self-reflection.

Let me also go on the record by saying that the sudden appearance of these Newer Members, within this singular thread, absolutely does NOT, in any any way, give me a reason to doubt that their sincerity is anything less than genuine or that their views are anything other than objective.

Last edited:
Well, I, for one, look forward to hearing more from these Newer Board Members that are suddenly appearing, giving singular testimonials on this subject, and as quickly disappearing. Their unbiased and objective opinions, motivated solely by the need for civil discourse and a fair and measured assessment of all the evidence, are quite refreshing and have given me pause for thought and self-reflection.

Let me also go on the record by saying that the sudden appearance of these Newer Members, within this singular thread, absolutely does NOT, in any any way, give me a reason to doubt that their sincerity is anything less than genuine or that their views are anything other than objective.
Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels she would be a wagon. ;)

st2-twok-dc-0774.jpg

"Nuttink has happened! De hero phaser prop has checked out!"

Life is a learning process. And you learn by doing. I went back early and fixed my posts and revised my behavior to expressing my doubts, to soften my message. Posting and realizing that some of your posts may need editing is part of the learning process. How is a person that doesn't even post much supposed to learn this lesson ?

I think the main problem is that this did just appear out of nowhere. That does NOT mean it is not genuine. But in the art world, if a Picasso or Da Vinci shows up out of nowhere, they do indeed examine it to death to make sure it's real.

I think the main problem is that this did just appear out of nowhere. That does NOT mean it is not genuine. But in the art world, if a Picasso or Da Vinci shows up out of nowhere, they do indeed examine it to death to make sure it's real.

Exactly. We don't know how this all went down, but, if it had been me, I'd reach out to a variety of different experts and have them perform independent studies before listing the item for auction. Again, we don't know. Maybe they just went to Jein and took his assessment as good enough. Maybe others were involved. We just don't know.

Im a bit on the fence on this. I see some things that say no and others saying yes. More proof of provenance would help. Its an extremely good forgery or an original that has had things changed.

Honestly, between Highliner's hostile blame game and evasive rambling and sudden disappearance, followed by someone who created an account just to say "it's legit" then also disappear, my spidey-sense is tingling.

No kidding. Again, we must ask ourselves why people would come out of the woodwork to voice such aggressive and emotional defenses for this item. I have no dog in the race. I already built myself a nice hero phaser replica, and have no ties to the film or fan-made prop industries. So, there’s no need whatsoever for me to get upset over whether this item is real or fake. For me, this is about digging down and getting to the truth. Just the facts, ma’am.

Sure, such intense defenses of the piece could just fall into the “mentally unstable superfan” category, but, when tons of money is a factor…

…oh, man. HeroComm has gotten into the game over at TPZ. They suspect the piece to be a likely forgery.

And they’ve apparently been threatened with a lawsuit, too. Jeez. Wonder if there’s a connection with what happened here, yesterday. Naaaaahhhh.

Spider-sense tingling…
Why would HeroComm post that on an obscure forum and not the internet's premier Replica Prop Forum?

I wonder if HeroCOMM reached out to Heritage. I'd imagine they would have a some clout in possibly having Heritage reopen the examination into the items provenance claim.

Why would HeroComm post that on an obscure forum and not the internet's premier Replica Prop Forum?

I wonder if HeroCOMM reached out to Heritage. I'd imagine they would have a some clout in possibly having Heritage reopen the examination into the items provenance claim.

They’re very selective in where and when they interact with the community, and maintain their anonymity. That being said, they’re taking the lawsuit threat seriously, and have scuttled plans to reach out to Heritage.

I can appreciate their reservations but being genuinely concerned over a veiled threat of litigation seems cowardice.
Reaching out to Heritage before the auction would in no way harm the listing unless Heritage, upon closer examination, found good cause to not go forward with the auction. In such a case, I'd hazard a guess that litigation wouldn't happen as it is unlikely the owner/seller would welcome the additional scrutiny any litigation would bring. Unless of course, it is genuine. In which case, the publicity and stir would only amplify the value after having been proven authentic in a court of law.

HeroComm has had a very close connection with the TPZ since the before Alpha was first discovered so it makes sense that they would post there. Another thing is it is supposed to be private and non-members can't see the posts which means for Heritage to hear about what they were doing means a member there ratted them out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back