Aliens Stasis Tube

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by joeranger, Mar 12, 2006.

1. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

My face hugger is one of the smaller ones so I had to scale down the tube. Fun project, still needs the light ( as soon as I find my solder gun) and some other details.
    [​IMG]

2. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

That's really cool. Ingenious.

3. Reaper57

Reaper57 Well-Known Member

great looking. :thumbsup

here is a pic of my small hugger and my Wallyworld stasis chamber.

with bubbles and light. :)

john :cool

4. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those look pretty good. :thumbsup

Are those the Hasbro facehugger from awhile back?

- k

5. Reaper57

mine is,

they are realy cool and can still be picked up on Ebay cheap. :D

especially if you dont want to put your Halycon in water. :confused

mines been wet for a couple years and has not degraded. :)

john :cool

6. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool.

I always loved that prop. I have a 1/6 scale one to fit a GI Joe...and also made these 1:1 versions.

[​IMG]

7. outlander

outlander Sr Member

One of Frank's tubes will be at the Mi.P.P. if your around and want to want to see it
    in person.

JAS

8. Lifehost

Lifehost New Member

Where on earth do I get ahold of one of these?.?.? LOVE THE BUBBLES.

9. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Yep, I own one of these :D

10. Cpl Smith

Cpl Smith Well-Known Member

Can we get the full size tube to be an active project? Im about to get married and Im gonna redisplay my Aliens stuff when she moves in...and this would be an awesome piece to have displayed. So, lets get you guys with the resourses to share the info:)

Derek

PS..in case youre wondering...Yes, she is gonna let me dispaly my Aliens stuff in the house.."as long as its nice and neat"...hehe

11. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

Thanks for the "tube envy" guys :cry

Correct me if I am wrong, but the screen accurate ones pictured are very difficult and time intensive. Reason being the fact that the acrylic tube is open on both ends and a precision milled or cast inset creates the seal. Just out of curiosity, what would the cost be?

12. fettster

fettster Sr Member

I was just about to make one of those fror my face hugger, i thought i was being original.

Ah well, at least i now know it can be done.

should be a pretty easy project?

all those lok amazing by the way

13. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I remember this being posted here. Always loved the idea of a small sized version. Not sure who did it 'tho.

[​IMG]

14. vamp

vamp New Member

Anyone know where to find a good face hugger for this project, nothing good on ebay right now.

15. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Very nice. I have both a Halcyon (unassembled) and a Hasbro Facehugger. It's been on the back burner, but I intend to make a stasis tube for it at some time. VERY nice job you did.

I also have a tiny facehugger that came with an action figure - the one of Winona Rider, I think. I believe it's a little smaller than the one in Surfergeeks pic.

SO. How about someone share the details of the tube top, base, and controls? :)

Jay

16. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

I seen this project idea come together afew times, and everytime, it was very costly for materials, the acrylic especially, so i'd be suprised to see this finally get off the ground

17. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If there's going to be a project, I'd be very interseted in participating. If not, then I'd love a tutorial or even general information about the build, materials, and blueprints.

A lighted, bubbling stasis tube has got to be about the most visually striking way to display a face hugger. :thumbsup

{EDIT} Spelling. I guess nobody here's keeping a face hugger in a "statis" tube. :$

18. SurferGeek

joeranger,

it appears that your tube is closed on the bottom? What did you use? A vase or some other glass piece?

19. Lifehost

Lifehost New Member

You could even make it jerk around when someone went near the tube... I don't exactly know how this would be possible, but I'm just throwing out ideas here, haha. Imagine your new GF going up to the tube... JUMPS RIGHT AT HER.. AHH..

One question... what would be the best facehugger to buy? There are a few on ebay, one good one is the "CretureFX" one. Can anyone attest as to the quality of it, and how good it would look in a tube? Also, how does the finish on the facehugger not come off in the liquid? Is it some special liquid, or a special finish on the model itself?

20. Cpl Smith

Cpl Smith Well-Known Member

I dont know what the cost would be...but Im still down for this project. Im selling all of my SW collection, and my fiance agrees that whatever prop money I make can go back into props...

Derek

21. BrundelFly

Thats the GI JOE version I mentioned.
    I made that.

It was gonna be a kit...

Anyways...the hugger has since been replaced in it with that Japanese one. Really nice.

22. SurferGeek

What price point were you shooting for on this small version kit? I don't have the funds or the room for a 1:1 version.

23. BrundelFly

I had another version also that was bigger.
    About 11 inches high.

I dont sell either of them right now..if there was enough interest I would.

OH, re: PRICE for a full size, the acrylic ALONE will be about 450 to 500.

My tube has a translucent bottom glued on. Same glue used in fish tanks.

I was gonna make a STASIS KIT...including metal parts..it was gonna run about 1000 to 1500k Lights hugger and everything.

Frank

24. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

It depends on what size stasis tube you want to build.

And if you use the Kenner facehugger and make a similar sized stasis tube, you don't have to worry about the finish. If you plan on doing a 1:1 version, there is a liquid epoxy that you can brush over it after it's been painted. This epoxy finish is waterproof...same thing is used on bar tops.
    I made a 1:1 stasis tube using parts bought a few years ago through a group purchase, it's not cheap or easy.

25. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

[​IMG]

I agree with the estimate of the acrylic tube and the price for the whole kit. We tried to get a group order on the AL, and it just was too costly.
    My design should stay under $100.
    I have been searching for the right glass vase for a long time. Once I found the size I went to the hardware store and matched it up to PVC pieces. Nice part about the vase is that it will not leak out the bottom. The ring parts are a pressboard material, I need to replace them with metal or plastic.
    The 5 inch vase does not fit the pvc without a lot of grinding, so although the cost is low on this one, the labor is pretty high.

26. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

On a side note, I was at the Halloween and Costume convention in Chicago today. One of the things that caught my eye was a Glow in the dark bubble machine. My first thought was to see if I can get a gallon of the stuff to fill the tube. It is glow in the dark soapwater.

I already have glow paint in the bottom, so it casts an earie glow with the lights out :eek

27. SurferGeek

I thought it looked like a glass vase. I've seen that type at stores such as Pier 1 and other home decorating stores.

I would be great to see a tutorial using PVC and glass vases.

:thumbsup

28. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay. So I gotta know...how did you do this from stuff at Wally World?

29. fettster

fettster Sr Member

if anyone can point me in the right direction about getting the clear acrilic tube, i think i can knock one of these out quite cheap.

Id made the bases out of the tube and foamex, then make a mold and cast them in resin and use paint effects to make it look like metal.

any sources for acrilic tubes in the uk?

30. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

I saw this last time I looked
    Tapp Plastics

Not sure if it is very clear.

31. SurferGeek

That's why I'd like to see a tutorial using those large glass vases, MUCH cheaper. I've seen those vases in very large sizes, even big enough for a full sized hugger. Downside is that they will be fragile.

32. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Found some excellent reference shots of what seems to be a screen-used stasis tube (displayed with a replica face hugger), available at one time from The Prop Store of London:

The Prop Store of London: Original Stasis Tube

Note the square light in the base, and the coiled electric cable.

Have any of the hardware parts been identified by those who recreated these tubes in the past? If so, please share.

And if not: What are we waitin' for? :love

33. muttley

muttley Well-Known Member

I would love to see more details on the $100 build up.. where did you get the vase?

are there any worries to the water in the vase getting cloudy? or mildew forming?

34. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

World Market Link

The glass vases are not on the web site, but this is where I bought it.
    They make bigger vases, but the PVC will be harder to find.
    The vase has a 4.75'' OD. The PVC end cap and connector has an ID of 4.5'' so I had to grind out .25" of plastic. Since the screen accurate one is flush, it is important to get the vase and pvc to match as close as possible.

35. Reaper57

Well ,

i went the cheap way, not accurate.. :angel

the jar is plastic and from Walmart houswares, it has a nice lab looking rubber seal and chrome latch. :D

i got a small aquar. air pump in the base, i made a loop of tubing and glued it to the inside bottom then poked holes in it with a pin, put a tee in it and went through the bottom to the pump,

then i stole the reflector from a large flashlight {3 " or so diam } and added a clear 10 watt bulb facing up. :p

added food color for effect.

now i think i have to try the vase method. :lol

36. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

I have had a few requests for source information for this.

Kenner Face hugger

4.5" x 13" glass vase from cost plus world market
    3/8th zink plated steel rods
    end caps, plus die to thread the rods
    4" DWV Schedule 40 Coupling Genova 70140
    4" Solvent Weld PVC DWV Schedule 40 Cap Genova 70154
    Chrome paint, steel wool, brushes
    Radioshack, toggle switches, leds, wire, ect...

This is not a snap together kit, a lot of grinding is needed to fit the pvc to the vase.

37. muttley

muttley Well-Known Member

thanks Joeranger.

So is there only supposed to be one light facing up? or is there a light also in the top box?

and these just have straight water in them...no issues with clouding or things growing?

thanks again for the info..

Neil

38. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

From what I learned from assembling my 1:1 stasis tube, you can do a few things to help maintain water clarity.

-Use distilled water, it has more impurities filtered out of it, but algae and other lifeforms can and will grow in it.

-Add a few drops of bleach to the water. Will keep algae growth down, but no telling what it will do to any plastic placed in it.

-Use some of that "waterbed conditioned" fluid...the kind placed inside the matress. This is specificly designed to destroy any algae life inside. I have no idea how well this will work. It might be safer than using bleach?

-The easiest thing to do, drain out the water every few months and replace with fresh water.