Aliens APC 1:18 scale with interior

Darthsideous, Joberg, thank you so much for your kind words. :)

NostromoCrew - thanks, I know what you mean. I often have James Horner's score on in the background while I work. Either that or the movie itself.

Thank you Paulh. :)

I got another push-light and matched the LED from it with one of the others to give me two headlamps that now look the same.

APC_210110_Headlights.jpg

I'll use the third one for the top-mounted searchlight. I cut it down and with a little soldering it'll now will fit into its housing - which I started work on. It'll eventually have a brass grille in front of it.

APC_210110_Searchlight.jpg

skiffy - late to this party, but oh boy does this look good...nice to see old school proper modelling mixed with the new kid 3d.

I hope a scaled dropship will be after this build to house the beast?

...watching further, from orbit, its the only way to be sure

Thanks Joberg, yes that was bugging me. :)

Chuffy 70 - thank you and you're welcome. I embrace the new tech but I'm a styrene whittler at heart, always have been. :)

I had some time off so because we're in lock-down what else is there to do, eh?

The searchlight ref I was looking at was way off (a CG source) so the build was totally off. I have better pics so once I realised that I remodelled the light housing properly.

Here's the new light housing in pieces. I bent some styrene sheet around a knife handle and used boiling water to set it in place. I used baking foil as a light blocker (glued with contact adhesive).

APC_21011301.jpg

It's all installed and temp dry-fit to check everything.

APC_21011302.jpg

APC_21011303.jpg

APC_21011304.jpg

APC_21011305.jpg

..and a lighting test.

APC_21011306.jpg

Checking what the lamp looks like when the roof is on (and checking that it's straight).

APC_21011307.jpg

APC_21011308.jpg

APC_21011309.jpg

Yup, that looks OK so it's glued in place. There's a slight light leak at the back but I reckon the paint will sort that.

I'll think about handling the grille in front later. There's probably some teeny-tiny brass-work in my future. :)

I'd love to have a go at lighting something, but soldering skills are *****! Still have the scars from school due to bad iron holders, ie they were sprung and when you snapped the tool in ***king hot molten metal shot off!
looking forward to the 'grilling of the brass'

I'd love to have a go at lighting something, but soldering skills are *****! Still have the scars from school due to bad iron holders, ie they were sprung and when you snapped the tool in ***king hot molten metal shot off!
looking forward to the 'grilling of the brass'
Haha - you made me lol. I was a soldering virgin until I bought myself a cheap rig last year. I'm no expert - a lot of my joints are 'just good enough' to pass current.

Thanks Joberg. :)

I've been neglecting Gorman's console for too long so I thought it should get some love today. Here's where I'm at.

APC_210116_01.jpg

I printed the screen bezels months ago so I put those on and assembled the sides and the desk. The rail for the swivel chair had me stumped for a while but I came up with probably the simplest way to achieve a sliding, swivelling base.

APC_210116_02.jpg

My crappy phone camera refused to focus but you can see that at the base of the chair there's a small circular piece of styrene with a larger one under it. I made 2 rails from wire core plastic rod and the chair base sits within them. I left one end of one rail free for now so I can take the chair out when needed.

APC_210116_03.jpg

Eventually there'll be lighting behind the screens and I'm working on possible wire solutions for the grab-handles that go at each side of each screen. The whole console is a separate module that slots in place so I can work on it outside the APC shell.

I had thought of trying to get a 35mm slide transparency of the screens (in scale) that I could cut apart and glue in, and that might still be possible. Alternatively, I'll use inks to paint them in.

Indeed Chuffy 70. I'm constantly replaying dialogue during this build. When I moved the chair to Gorman's 'flight' position I heard 'How many drops is this for you Lieutenant'. :)

Just a small update today - amongst a few other small tasks I've added the rail end-stops for the top turret so it doesn't drop off the back.

APC_2101198_Back.jpg

I also added the rack behind Ripley and Burke's seats that houses the smart sentry gun packs.

APC_2101198_Both.jpg

APC_2101198_One.jpg

I'm going to pop out a couple of 3d prints of them in resin. Because they've got removable lids and they'll have more detail in resin I've added a roughly modelled interior based on what reference I could find.

APC_2101198_Blend.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I'll be back with more soon.

Thanks Chuffy 70. Just a small update today. I've been doing lots of smaller jobs - tidying up the look of the rear exterior including adding the fender-ey bits on the wheel arches and smoothing some of the joins between the styrene panels.

APC_210121_1.jpg

There's still gaps to close and some bits are taped together for now but it's looking better and my to-do list is gradually getting ticked.

Now then, best way to accurately check the thickness of a scrap of styrene? Why, Mr. Vernier to the rescue. :) I love my clockwork Vernier - no batteries to replace.

APC_210121_0.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back