Aliens APC 1:18 scale with interior

Thanks! Sorry for the lack of updates, I'm working remotely from home (University Lecturer) and churning out 3d printed face shields for local PPE provision but I WILL get back to this build soon. <3

Progress! I started to populate the cabin. I realised that the driver would need to be in an elevated position to see out of the window so I sorted that out first. The driver's chair is the same as Gorman's one at the command position. I put one of my figures in a driving position so I can organise the size and height of foot-pedals, consoles etc.

APC200419_01.jpg

APC200419_02.jpg

APC200419_03.jpg

The micro turbine sits at the left side beside the driver so I scratch built that from styrene sheet and a few nurnies from the spares sprues. The design and positioning of it is from Graham Langridge's wonderful blueprint document (which he graciously forwarded so I could reference it in the build).

APC200419_04.jpg

APC200419_05.jpg

APC200419_06.jpg

I'm now working on the center console that sits at the driver's right hand and looks to house gear levers or throttle tracks (or something!)

Work progresses on the APC cabin interior detailing. There's a large technical looking unit to tuck in between the font bulkhead and the right-hand wheel arch so I scratch built a unit to represent that - kinda like a comms station - from odd kit bits.

APC_200422_Comms.jpg

I also did some work on the center console's stick control assembly on the top, and a little dressing all round. I found some interesting parts to represent the driver pedals too - which I think will look OK once they're dressed properly (they're just blu-tacked in place).

APC_200422_Pedals.jpg

APC_200422_console.jpg

Overall I'm glad to be back at it. There may be a benefit to lock-down after all. :)

APC_200422_Greebley.jpg

Thanks Duncanator. I love to try and make something that looks at least passable. :)

I gave the center console piece a wash with primer to see if the pieces on it would hang together. I think they look OK. :) The piece of black card is a place-holder for the foot pedals.

APC_200423_Console.jpg

Because the driver's chair is the same as Gorman's I needed to print off another 'kit'.

APC_200423_NewChair.jpg

Here's the kit with the previously made up chair. There's a lot of work to do with these prints but they do save some time and they're built to scale from the off.

APC_200423_Kit.jpg

Thank you very much Joberg, CB2001.

Next up was to start the driver's console. I wasn't looking forward to this because there's not much about the shape that's regular.

APC_200430_Console.jpg

I worked in card first, then styrene.

APC_200430_Driver.jpg

That looks OK - it'll get a host of detailing.

APC_200430_Door.jpg

I decided to secure the door too. The hinges are brass rod in styrene tube.

APC_200430_GSSide.jpg

The gunner's chair got some initial detailing and a coat of primer to check where the rough spots are.

APC_200430_GSBack.jpg

I'll put this and the driver's chair in situ and work on the panel behind them.

Fantastic job so far. Such detail, going to look unbelievable when finished.
Thanks Pulled Porkins (great name by the way). I've been experimenting with the seating safety bars and it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to solder brass tube - the styrene rod I'm using just isn't doing it for me.

Thanks Pulled Porkins (great name by the way). I've been experimenting with the seating safety bars and it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to solder brass tube - the styrene rod I'm using just isn't doing it for me.
I feel your pain, soldering of any type is not in my list skills. Whatever you end up doing I'm sure it will look great!

While I investigate soldering and equipment supplies, I'm slowly getting used to the production process for my new resin 3d printer. I printed this little guy today - not associated with this current build but cool non-the-less.

Mand_03.jpg

Thank you so much Joberg, Analyzer. Joberg - the box of greeblies is from a few donor mechanised armour kits. I'm getting through it quite quickly on this build so I'll have to re-stock soon!

I had a little time to do some modelling today - so I tackled the steering controls for the driver's position.

APC_200510_PrePrime.jpg

Steering 'yokes(?)' fashioned from styrene sheet with thin styrene pieces, greeblie bits and some tube added. They're moveable too - just enough to allow for any variance in the size/position of the driver.

APC_200510_Primed.jpg

Here they are with a splash of primer - seen from one of the few camera angles we get for these in the movie.

APC_200510_InSitu.jpg

..and lastly seen in situ being grabbed by our stand-in Bishop/Frost/Ripley.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back