Aliens APC 1:18 scale with interior

I forgot to say at the start of this post - thank you SO much for the wonderful positive comments from you guys. They mean a whole lot. <3

Hey folks. I hope you're all well. I've buried 2 close relatives and finally retired from my teaching career so lots of life changes in the past few months.

APC work continues (slowly). I've been collecting greebly bits for the ceilings which in the movie set are very busy with practical equipment. The lighting continues to be a work in progress. I saw some neat wiring connectors on Adam Savage's latest build - the Starfield ship, so I may try sourcing something similar. Does anyone know what he uses?

APC_23091500.jpg

APC_23091501.jpg

APC_23091502.jpg

I'm also working on a short clip that recreates the APC entering the atmosphere processing plant and lowering the turret as it passes through.

APC_23091504.jpg

APC_23091506.jpg

APC_23091507.jpg

After analysing the clip for my animation timings I worked out some sizing references and found that the sign saying 'Clearance 4 meters' is completely scale accurate. :)

APC_23091508.jpg

APC_23091509.jpg

APC_23091512.jpg

My version of this scene won't be a 100% recreation but it will use the audio so the timings will be the same.

Last edited:
Hey folks. I hope you're all well. I've buried 2 close relatives and finally retired from my teaching career so lots of life changes in the past few months.

APC work continues (slowly). I've been collecting greebly bits for the ceilings which in the movie set are very busy with practical equipment. The lighting continues to be a work in progress. I saw some neat wiring connectors on Adam Savage's latest build - the Starfield ship, so I may try sourcing something similar. Does anyone know what he uses?

View attachment 1740227

View attachment 1740228

View attachment 1740229

I'm also working on a short clip that recreates the APC entering the atmosphere processing plant and lowering the turret as it passes through.

View attachment 1740230

View attachment 1740231

View attachment 1740232

After analysing the clip for my animation timings I worked out some sizing references and found that the sign saying 'Clearance 4 meters' is completely scale accurate. :)

View attachment 1740233

View attachment 1740234

View attachment 1740235

My version of this scene won't be a 100% recreation but it will use the audio so the timings will be the same.
I’m very sorry for your loss buddy.

I love the direction you're taking this project! Did you try reading out to Adam Savage or the Tested team? It’s worth a try!

I’ve just ordered some JST PH style electrical connectors that should solve the connection issues that were killing my enthusiasm for this build. I think that’s what Adam and the team at Tested were using for their Starfield build. :)

The diorama is officially ‘mission creep’ but I’ll make sure that the main build takes precedent.

I started in on soldering one of the new connectors.

APC_24010702.JPG

That worked great, although the cheap heat-shrink I have got toasted a little. I think better quality gear is needed there. :)

APC_24010701.JPG

APC_24010703.JPG

I'm also painting in some areas that are unseen until the model opens up - areas that wouldn't ever be seen normally, so I've chosen to black them out. I might even blank some of them off if I'm not using the space at all.

APC_24010704.JPG

APC_24010705.JPG

In the background you can see 2 test prints of the Martian ship from Quatermass which I'm building in 3d in the evenings sat in front of the fire watching TV. There's also some choice viewing on my tablet to keep me motivated. :)

I’ve wanted to add some paint detail to the cabin for a long time so today was the day. Here’s a before:

IMG_2731.jpeg

I’ve noticed that military vehicles have a host of labelling in the interior - so I broke out the sticky label and bic pen.

IMG_2732.jpeg IMG_2733.jpeg

..and here’s the after - still a little wet just after a dark spirit wash.

IMG_2736.jpeg

The handle on the door isn’t painted yet.

This is a build I've been on and off with for a while now.

My intention is to have an interior which means that the exterior will be larger (in human scale) than the model/vehicle as filmed.

A long time ago Mattel produced a Space 1999 Eagle Transporter play-set with an interior and I've seen some great custom upgrades done with those. So, think of this as the equivalent 1:18 scale play-set for the Alien franchise. I built the Halcyon kit back in the day and planned to do an interior for that - but it didn't happen. I know that Hiya Toys began a funding campaign to get one made and took pre-orders on a prototype but funding fell through.

Anyway, on to the build. I can't yet afford the silly prices that 1:18 scale Aliens figures fetch on eBay etc - so I'm using generic troops for now.

I taped up the build so far to help me gauge some of the top panels and this is the first time I've been able to pick the whole thing up as one unit. As you can imagine - I had a grin on my face like a kid at Christmas. This thing is huge!

It actually doesn't look massively oversized either - which is a pleasant surprise seeing that the full interior - as filmed - will fit inside.

More to come but here are pics of how it looks today. :)

View attachment 855209

View attachment 855210

View attachment 855211

View attachment 855212

View attachment 855213

View attachment 855214
Super cool!!

While I wait for painting supplies, I've been working on digital files.

I've never been happy with how I build suggested contents for the Sentry Gun Cases.

GunCaseOld.jpg

So, I found a model of the sentry gun on Thingiverse, created the laptop to go with it (to create the full package) and arranged them inside the case. The gun file is from Gamer Dad and was adapted and simplified to suit printing.

SentryGun.jpg

There's room for the full gun and mount, 2 barrels, 2 mags, the battery and the control unit laptop. I'll print these up as soon as poss.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back