Alien Queen Puppets whereabout ???

I am guessing it is made of foam latex? This is notorious for simply rotting and crumbling away over time. I think I stumbled upon a way to preserve foam latex , though (although it could be just luck, temperature conditions and humidity).I own several original movie props. I have an original Steve Johnson werewolf arm from Fright Night which is in a box but everytime I pull it out it is more "dried out" around the edges and crumbling. I also own the Return of the Living Dead dog which is in a home made perspex case. The foam on the dog is as moist and supple as the day I bought it in 1991. My theory is the case is somehow protecting it from outside environmental forces. Also, I live in Texas where the humidity might actually be contributing somewhat to its condition. Of course, this is all speculation and only a theory.
I also had one of those ghastly chiodo brother Yodas from a few years back (Illusive concepts). I sold it a while back but it was the same thing. I had it in another home made case and it was mint/ flawless/ as good as the day it was made. When I sold it on ebay there were others for sale. One, in particular, from the New York area that was also being sold was already crumbling away and rotting.Something to think about...
Bob Burns should have all these items in cases of some kind and maybe even have a humidifier installed in his basement.

It's really easy for us to recommend that Bob should spend a lot of money (that he does not have) to preserve a lot of these props (especially the foam rubber ones). Sadly, the rubber props are just not designed to last. They will go bad eventually. Some foam rubber mixes are better than others. Bob has original "Planet Of The Apes" makeup pieces that are in great condition. However, some of his newer pieces are already rotting. It's also sad that certain people in the industry (who have money) never do step up to the plate to assist with preserving Hollywood history. If it weren't for Bob & Kathy Burns, most of the items in his collection would've been in a landfill a long time ago.

amazing pictures. thanks for sharing them . i was always amazed how much of the puppet queen they used . great photography and editing made the effect of that creature so amazing . awesome stuff

Isn't Bob in a situation where he could sell a couple bigger items and use those funds to better display, house and preserve the rest? Not judging at all, the items are his to do with what he wants, but I'm curious what the situation is.

It's charming as hell to see the piles of stuff but and it's painful to see history crumble away.

Someone should win that and get Tom Spinner to restore and preserve it. Cant you coat it with something to make a hard shell over the latex?

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I'd love a tour of Bob's basement. ;)

I agree with you, Nick...but time and again, history shows that the big shots will pay lip service, but won't release their tight grip on the cash. I understand that Forry was in a similar situation (I actually hear both sides, I'll have to talk to someone to confirm), but after all, we ARE talking about Hollywood History, I've looked into museum placement of iconic items, but you've got to be wealthy, have your stuff insured by a high-class appraiser and then take a tax loss...they won't buy props. Apparently you don't get anything for 'loaning out' your stuff for display except bragging rights (and I did see at least one of Bob's "American Werewolf in London" masks on display at the recent Horror display at the Sci-Fi museum in Seattle). While a 20,000 Leagues diving helmet (which I saw personally in his basement) went for at least $70,000 (don't know if it was his). Seems some people with big bucks would rather have hospital wings or something similar named after them than stand up and secure the history that initiated their wealth. I just don't get it. Collectors with amazing collections shouldn't have to rely on Kickstarter to keep their life-long ambitions sheltered and protected. Rant over.

Bob Burns isn't allowed to sell any of the items he has from FOX.It's part of the agreement he has with them, so he wouldn't be able to raise funds that way.

I'm a good friend of Bob's. He's having a lot of very serious health issues these days, but he still won't sell anything. He doesn't feel that he has the right to do so. And as stated previously, he owns many of these things because he promised not to sell them. The Nostromo ended up being stored at KNBEFX for awhile before Propstore restored it. Bob doesn't have a place to display it (never did), but at least it didn't end up in a landfill. It would've if he hadn't agreed to take it from Fox in 1979.

He ended up giving the Derelict to a long time fan who said that he would restore and worship the thing. Well......the guy sold it through Profiles. Bob's never gotten over that one.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back