Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

This might be better placed in a bladerunner thread, but I'm posting it here as this is pretty much the only thread I contribute to. I was watching Bladerunner last night and noticed Byrant wearing a double headed watch, much like those the Nostromo crew wear. I'm sure I'm not the first to spot this. So as a sci-fi geek, as well as a wristwatch geek, anybody know which wristwatch this was made from?

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 11.32.53 PM.png

Look to be cheap "gold-tone" LED watches. Try searching Micronta* watch and see what shakes out.

I have another brand one, and the large button was used to illuminate the display (light up the numerals), because leaving red LEDs running 24-7 would kill the battery in a day (maybe less). Mine uses two batteries, and they last a year if worn infrequently...

*This was a Radio Shack brand and would have been quite cheap at the time of filming I think...

Hi all. This is my very first post. Been lurking for a few months following Adam Savage/Adam Ezekiel igniting my passion for the Nostromo crew uniform. Mainly the shirt which I’m very close to completing and will post photos of how it turns out in due course. However, I was in a local supermarket (Asda in UK) and could not believe my eyes when I saw these little beauties! Thought I’d share incase there’s anyone needing a good enough solution other than the expensive PF flyers! That is all! Hope this helps someone, even a little bit! If so, then that’s ace considering how much the amazing people of the RPF (even just this thread) have helped me!

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 3.37.17 PM.png

I don't know if this has been posted before, but the Red Ball Jets look like a really good match.
I'll have to look up the Adam Savage Alien costuming video.

I finished my version of Ripley's jumpsuit! My phone's camera is broken and can only take close-up photos so the pics aren't great, sorry about that.

I used a secondhand German jet pilot flight suit as the base. I'm in Germany so that was by far the cheapest option. I thought the grey color with a blue undertone was a nice compromise between the G-4A's intense blue color in real life and the muted grey it shows up as in the movie. Alterations include removal of multiple pockets and patches, moving of several other pockets (including moving the chest pockets into a more angled position), adding of the waist tie triangle thingies, turning the zipper cuffs into button-closed ones and of course the addition of what I like to call the butt corset. I'm really happy with the result, it was the first big sewing project I've done all by myself and it took AGES. You can definitely see my complete lack of experience if you look at it up close but I'm still proud of it.

The only thing that I didn't attempt to alter into a more screen-accurate version is the collar, it's small and rounded whereas the G-4A of course has a bigger rectangular one - those round edges do bug me but removing and replacing the entire collar just isn't within my current skill levels and I would've had to buy a second suit to get enough fabric for a new collar anyway which would've considerably upped the cost for this project. Maybe one day I'll tackle Operation New Collar but for now I'll just have to hope nobody notices. :)
The patches and pin are from etsy, I can look up the individual shops if anyone wants them.

Next step will be the shoes. Will post those too when they're done!

The original unaltered suit:
fliegerkombigrauneu1100-4210-bw-4210-Original-Bundeswehr-Fliegerkombi-grau-Bw-Pilotenkombi.jpg

Detail shots of the final version:
20220819_113929.jpg

20220819_114111.jpg

20220819_114548.jpg

20220819_114507.jpg

And the whole ensemble worn, just missing the white button-up shirt for now:
20220819_114451.jpg

Good enough flight suit to cosplay within an "Off-World" look. Careful thinking that Sigourney's suit was blue. It was actually green (and distressed by the costume dept.) ;) I'm wondering about the lacing at the back + 2 large zippers. Did you transform that part or left the original flight suit intact?

I finished my version of Ripley's jumpsuit! My phone's camera is broken and can only take close-up photos so the pics aren't great, sorry about that.

I used a secondhand German jet pilot flight suit as the base. I'm in Germany so that was by far the cheapest option. I thought the grey color with a blue undertone was a nice compromise between the G-4A's intense blue color in real life and the muted grey it shows up as in the movie. Alterations include removal of multiple pockets and patches, moving of several other pockets (including moving the chest pockets into a more angled position), adding of the waist tie triangle thingies, turning the zipper cuffs into button-closed ones and of course the addition of what I like to call the butt corset. I'm really happy with the result, it was the first big sewing project I've done all by myself and it took AGES. You can definitely see my complete lack of experience if you look at it up close but I'm still proud of it.

The only thing that I didn't attempt to alter into a more screen-accurate version is the collar, it's small and rounded whereas the G-4A of course has a bigger rectangular one - those round edges do bug me but removing and replacing the entire collar just isn't within my current skill levels and I would've had to buy a second suit to get enough fabric for a new collar anyway which would've considerably upped the cost for this project. Maybe one day I'll tackle Operation New Collar but for now I'll just have to hope nobody notices. :)
The patches and pin are from etsy, I can look up the individual shops if anyone wants them.

View attachment 1609682

View attachment 1609683
View attachment 1609684
View attachment 1609685
View attachment 1609686

View attachment 1609687
A great job, well done! An observation though: does Ripley not have the Black officer wings on her chest? I thought the Green ones were for crew, I could be totally wrong though!!

View attachment 1609682

View attachment 1609683
View attachment 1609684
View attachment 1609685
View attachment 1609686

View attachment 1609687
Very well done conversion on the flight suit! Besides the pointed collar, another aspect that you're missing is the oxygen mask retaining tab right under the WY wings. On the G-4A those were leather, but production used G-4Bs which had nylon webbing mask tabs. You should be able to make a tab simply using the nylon webbing used in seatbelts. The Japanese military surplus refurbishment site Mash-Japan has an excellent diagram on how to make it.

The color looks very spot on to what Mollo's crew ended up doing to Sigourney's G-4B. I believe they started with a sage green suit and dyed it a muted blue-grey to more match the officers jackets of Kane and Dallas. I believe the Ash airlock flight suit is the only one that production kept that sage green.

Thank you very much for the compliments on the suit, I have to admit I was a bit nervous posting it here among all the experts ahaha but I'm happy it was well receieved!

Good enough flight suit to cosplay within an "Off-World" look. Careful thinking that Sigourney's suit was blue. It was actually green (and distressed by the costume dept.) ;) I'm wondering about the lacing at the back + 2 large zippers. Did you transform that part or left the original flight suit intact?
I think at least one of her suits was blue, there's some publicity shots that look pretty blue to me and a blue version of the G-4A exists as seen here. Idk colors are weird.
The lacing and zippers at the back are all my addition, the original suit just has a normal pants seat. I used 1cm wide cotton twill tape and two normal zippers from the fabric store. The zippers' color and design don't match the original zippers on the suit 100% but thankfully there're no other zippers on the back so there's no direct visual comparison point which means the difference isn't all that noticeable. Creating the lacing from the twill tape was pretty finagely, if anyone is interested I can write up how I did it since the method I landed on worked pretty well.

A great job, well done! An observation though: does Ripley not have the Black officer wings on her chest? I thought the Green ones were for crew, I could be totally wrong though!!
AFAIK all the wings are actually green, at least the list of authorized reproductions and the authorized portfolio of crew insignias them all as green. But who knows with the colors in this movie!

Very well done conversion on the flight suit! Besides the pointed collar, another aspect that you're missing is the oxygen mask retaining tab right under the WY wings.
Oh dang you're totally right! Thanks very much for the link, looks like it'll be an easy fix.

I also realized I forgot to mention I didn't add the zippers that run from the crotch down the inside of the pants leg - I did some test pinnings but turns out I just have too much thigh meat, the zippers would just constantly rub against each other and make clinking noises and so I decided to just leave them out.

Really great work, thanks for sharing! I like your use of cotton tape for the laces, I have used polyester ribbon which is very springy to work with. The jumpsuit you utilized seems like a good option, and personally, I like the modern rounded collar. Looking forward to more pictures!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back