Alessandra's ANH, ESB, and ROTJ Luke Skywalker Lightsabers

D-ring's all attached. I SUCK at drilling holes and I don't have a drill press, so I made the first hole a bit off-center...so I drilled a bigger hole and said screw it, and used a nut and washer instead of tapping the hole.

More beauty shots.

I know the D-ring on the ESB saber is off-center. I have a replacement coming from Blast-Tech. Also...looks like the D-ring is facing the wrong way - that's a simple fix though.

Final reflections on the sabers themselves?

Those grips on the ANH and ESB saber are ridiculous. They make the saber so big - my fingers don't even reach all the way around them. The ROTJ saber is ridiculously comfortable in comparison and has a great weight and sense of gravity to it. It's by far my favorite now, which is weird, because before I owned them, the ESB saber was always my favorite. Even just as objects, the ROTJ saber is still my favorite, despite the added context that having real vintage Graflex flashes provides, and the Exactra 20 bubble strip as well.

Looking at just the ANH and ESB sabers, I don't really have a favorite. I like the D-ring from the ANH saber better, and I like the bubble strip better than the circuit board, too - it's just so crystal clear - no repro matches a real one, not even the Rebelscum one, though it's close. But I like the notched grips and screws on the ESB saber more than the un-notched grips on the ANH saber, but I like the way 7 grips looks more than 6. I also like the double red buttons better than the button/glass eye configuration.

I've learned a lot and I think I can tell a replica Graflex from a real one pretty easily (at least a Parks replica from a real one), even just the individual parts - the tells on the imprint on the back of the 3-cell tube, the grooves and the screw/lever on the clamp, and there are tons of tells on the front end, mostly in machining marks. I could also probably pick a real bubble strip out of a lineup of replicas. I know my sabers aren't 100% accurate, i.e. hex screws instead of rivets in places or hex screws instead of screws (on the ESB grips), rubber grips instead of plastic, etc... I'm still on the lookout for one real Graflex red button, because I can look at the reproduction red button and tell that it's not real. The red of the plastic is different, and there's no machine marks on the top bevel of the button in the replica.

The only thing really bothering me is that replica red button, but the rest I'm pretty happy with. I wanted to create the lightsabers as Luke Skywalker would have owned them, while maintaining a certain degree of screen-accurateness. I think I can safely cross one childhood dream off as being fulfilled...childhood? More like life-long. ^_^

Last edited:
They look great! I screwed up the holes on my ESB saber grips, used screws, AND I'm pretty sure one or two grips aren't spaced right. I'm going to replace the grips eventually so I just left them because no one can tell unless you say so on a message board... ;)

ROTJ Luke is still my favorite though.

Nice work! Those look good, and should display nicely, even with the tiny details you aren't happy about. You're always your own worst critic. ;)

I look forward to seeing what you do with the saber you're planning to build on the fX-sabers forums as well.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back