Advice on getting an airbrush setup

Icetigris

Let me preface that I have absolutely no experience with airbrushing at all. However, I am looking into getting an airbrush and a compressor and all that to do stuff like metal paints. I can see myself also using it for makeup, airbrushing fur, stenciling on fabric, and maybe painting silicone prosthetics. So I'm looking to invest in a system that can handle many different paint types and many different viscosities. At any rate, here are my two big questions:

1. What kind of airbrush and compressor should I get?
2. What other things can you use an airbrush for?

I'm probably going to be splitting costs with a couple of other cosplay buddies, but I'd rather not spend a huge amount on my first setup if I can avoid it. Any advice on specs, brands, models, etc. is greatly appreciated.

For this YouTube is your Friend, there are a lot of tutorials about Airbrushing and start up needs. As far as brands go Badger and Iawata are the go to brands. I use a cheap no name thing that works well for shading but not for any detail work.

For a compressor as long as it hold a steady supply of air you're good. Many local shops use what is called a Diaphragm pump only because they are quieter.

In closing search YouTube. Ed Hubbs has awesome techniques for airbrushing.

For a Airbrush brand get Iwata they are by far one of the best and most versatal brushes. I would look into the Eclipse HP-CS or if your budget allows the Plus line HP-C Plus. Either of those are very good all round brushes an d can do very detailed work.
Best advise on a compressor is get the largest you can afford and or have space for. When I was teaching my airbrush course I lived in a apartment and had to use a silent compressor. Great compressors but very pricey for the size/CFM you get. Now that I have a house/garage I use my 5hp 60gal compressor works perfect but and hardly every kicks in while airbrushing. But do not get a diaphram compressor they are pretty noise and make a lot of heat which causes water in your lines, not good at all.

Here's a link to my AB gallery most of this was done with the cheap Iwata HP-SBS or HP-BCS. :) Don't need expensive to get good results.

Airbrush Art pictures by c2hoines - Photobucket

I have a setup I use for my Darth Maul makeup application, If your using it for wide areas then get a Single action Airbrush if your using it for tight lines and wide ares then get a double action. Just my .02 cents but I would get a single action to start with and then upgrade later to a double action.

I have a setup I use for my Darth Maul makeup application, If your using it for wide areas then get a Single action Airbrush if your using it for tight lines and wide ares then get a double action. Just my .02 cents but I would get a single action to start with and then upgrade later to a double action.

I would say that is a wate of $$ there is zero advantage to going with a single action airbrush. If you want wide coverage just buy a brush with a larger tip/needle. Has nothing to do with the action of the airbrush, all in how much paint you can flow through the tip. ;)

What kind of minimum specs do I need on my air compressor? I was looking at this kit at Harbor Freight; is this compressor going to be powerful enough? I'd like to get an oilless compressor if possible, it seems like a pain to deal with the oil.

I'm definitely going to be getting a double-action airbrush. I've been looking at airbrushes a little bit, but I'm not sure what I need in terms of features. Gravity-fed? Teflon needle packings? Are these just nice-to-have features, or do my applications demand them?

I use the Badger Anthem and the Iwata Eclipse for a number of different types of painting. (face and body, T-shirt, makeup, blah blah). I like siphon fed (but I have a rack of 10, each with a dedicated color, so I never have to change colors and have my white turn pink or my yellow turn orange or anything like that...) I often run mine off of a CO2 tank, which eliminates condensation in your paint, silent, and needs no electricity. Otherwise I have a little Campbell-Hausfield compressor (available at Walmart for under $100) that I can use in an emergency, or if the tires on my mower go flat. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back