Acrylic Model Paint

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
I am wondering if acrylic model paint (Testors) is safe to clearcoat with..... say Krylon clearcoat or will it bubble the paint?

I dont yet have a great grasp on what types of paint dont mix well with others.

Test it first on something. Sometimes its fine, sometimes it isnt. It wont bubble tha paint, it will just remove it all together. Make it run... Automotive paint with automotive clearcoat... Laquers with laquers....

The ONLY clear coats I trust 100% are Testors or Model Masters clear coats.

I never had good luck with any others as they can lift and wrinkle the paint even when used on there same brands so compatabilty shouldn't have been an issue.

Lynn.

The reason I started this thread is because I have a Vader chestbox kit. I am painting the big parts with automotive paint but I am going to paint the small parts (rod caps, switches, etc...) with a brush and model paint. I know that the enamel and auto paints do not mix but I am thinking the acrylic may work.

DD, I am going to take your suggestion and try it on something first before I paint my final pieces.

Ok I have used a laquer overcoat on ALL of my acrylic work for over 2 decades now with zero problems. The Testors and Model Master ones are very good for this, and they also come in bottled form so you can airbrush them on as well. One thing to keep in mind though, is Model Master's version is an enamel overcoat, but the Testors version is a laquer... I might have it backwards since I don't have them in front of me right now, but the label on the can will tell you which is which. You can also use an enamel overcoat over the acrylics as well but I use a laquer because the drying time is better (depending on how much you put on... intentionally or not ;) ) and its a more durable overcoat compared to the enamel.

I have had some colors run if too much overcoat is sprayed on at once. This can be avoided by simply putting very light coats on and then letting them dry before adding another coat. But this should be standard practice for painting anyway right? ;) :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back