Ackbar actor Tim Rose TLJ disappointment

All interesting points, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a thread get more derailed off-topic than this one.

:p

Ackbar just wasn't very interesting, IMO and probably why it's hard to keep talking about a dude crying in his costume because his character had his brains slurped after being flash frozen for the Order's seafood buffet. "Look Kylo! It's a Mon Calimari! They're delicious! Pick him up on your way back. We'll have a splendid meal." :D

"IT'S A TRAP!" was his only claim to fame. I mean he looked like a giant craw dad.... How am I supposed to take that seriously? :D

Star Wars had some darn goofy looking aliens (gotta love Hammer Head for his whole 5 seconds of screen time). But at least they looked halfway believable (unlike many in Star Trek) save Nien Nunb that looked more like a rubber suit out of a certain Primus music video (Wynona!)

As far as creature designs go I love Ackbar and the Mon Calamari. While I appreciate Trek for it's exploration of the intellectual, many of their creature designs left something to be desired.

Last edited:
As far as creature designs go I love Ackbar and the Mon Calamari. While I appreciate Trek for it's exploration of the intellectual, many of their creature designs left something to be desired.

Seriously, have you seen the last couple of episodes of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Their aliens are just people with crap glued to their faces. It's really a sad show these days.

When you play a character that becomes an icon of the series (any series), and it is a "masked" character, you might just thank your lucky stars they asked you back, as any guy off the street could play the part. That being said, Star Wars casting has always tried to have the original actors do the roles they played first, if possible. It is a part of the culture of the productions ethos. BUT, now that "All Bets Are Off" about SW canon and culture, it is surprising they asked him back at all. He is lucky, becuase he can still appear at Cons and get a little love and sell some stills and merch.

33booy.jpg

Is this the end of the world? Not by a long shot. The Last Jedi had far more problems than Ackbar being killed off. But again, it's done now, so what difference does it even make?

Couldn’t agree more with this video.

Yes, the sequel trilogy has some severe flaws in storytelling and execution but the click-bait fueled by outrage has reached peak levels and has become transparently tiresome. The so-called “Tragedy of Ackbar”, to me, represents the case in point.

To me, it would be comparable to learning that “Lt. Leslie” from “Star Trek” had been an unacknowledged casualty in “The Wrath of Khan”...

Ironically, Transporter Chief Lt. Kyle --

Kyle_Dms_Big.jpg

-- was back in Star Trek II as the Communications Officer of the Reliant, Commander Kyle:

latest?cb=20090525042550&path-prefix=en.jpg

Per Captain Tyrell, his crew was marooned on Ceti Alpha V by Khan and secondary sources hold that the entire crew was recovered -- including Kyle. So not a casualty, per se, but he did only have a few generic lines and then was removed from the action by the baddie for the rest of the film...

By the same token, I see no reason to bother including him in the films if all you're gonna do is have him say, like, 3-4 lines and then blow him up. It's the worst approach to fan service you could take, and I already take a pretty dim view of fan service from the outset. If you're gonna use him, use him for real and make his appearance meaningful to the story (not meaningful to the fans necessarily -- those two aren't the same thing). If you're not really gonna do much, just have it be literally any other Mon Cal you want, and you'll give the fans less to be pissed about when you vent him into the void.

Over in my pile of "important information the audience needed to know at least some of, ideally in the form of relevant additions to the total running time" (aka my big rewrite of Star Wars into -- pay attention, Psab keel -- a trilogy of trilogies... of trilogies), Ackbar helped get things going for the New Republic after the Battle of Endor, led the New Republic Defense Fleet as a Fleet Admiral at the Battle of Jakku, and then, after the Galactic Empire surrendered, retired to Mon Cala. When the New Republic ignored Leia's warnings about the First Order (not yet known by name), she coaxed him out of retirement to join her Resistance. Closer to TFA, he was captured and interrogated by Phasma as to the "location of the Rebel base" -- *ahem* -- and was brilliantly defiant until he was told Kylo Ren was traveling there to continue the interrogation personally. Before that happened, though, the Resistance discovered where Ackbar was being held and freed him.

Then he helped coordinate the Battle of Starkiller Base along with Leia from D'Qar and all of that. I think his final words are a perfectly fitting send-off, from the character, the actor, and the voice actor. As the torpedoes homed on the Raddus' bridge, he looked around and took those final seconds to say,
It's been an honor serving with you all.

So his presence was relevant, and did have a point and a purpose -- and that was all left off the big screen.

I have great memories of obsessively reading the EU as a teenager though when I revisited Shadows of the Empire about ten years ago I was shocked at how poorly written it was. I'm going to reread the Thrawn trilogy one last time for nostalgia sake and I hope I enjoy it like I did then. I read it at least 2 to 3 times back in the day and I hope it holds up.

Heck, I only marginally liked it even at the time. I never felt the characters "sounded" right. I appreciated the new characters introduced -- Mara and Winter and Thrawn and Pellaeon and Karrde -- more. I liked the gaslighting of the Noghri and the whole "Lady Vader" thing. I liked the concept of the Emperor's Hand. I am not happy at how material from those books was employed in Rebels (mainly the Chimaera and Captain Pellaeon being with Thrawn back before the OT, as well as the unprecedented chimaera relief paneling on the Star Destroyer's hull) and the new ancillary canon (I had hoped "Rogue Squadron" would be one part of the EU left in the bin, and it's Zahn's fault -- Brian Daley started that ball rolling, but it probably would never have been remembered beyond the ESB radio drama if not for HttE). I never understood the popularity of this trilogy. I liked having new Star Wars stuff, but liked what Dark Horse was coming out with far more than the first few years of novels in the Star Wars Renaissance.

Well Inquisitor Peregrinus what you have outlined there for Ackbar was FAR better than what we got by a mile. It feels thought out, logical and a natural progression for the story and characters. I sent you a PM a few weeks back and if you like feel free to send more if you are so inclined. I'd love to see where you would have taken the overall plot and characters.

As for Heir to the Empire and the Thrawn Trilogy as a whole I really enjoyed it back in the day and like I said I'm likely going to revisit it one last time. I hope it holds up well. I will always have great memories of it though and of meeting Timothy Zahn in 2011. Super nice guy and he was kind enough to autograph my copy of Heir to the Empire and take a quick picture with him.
TimothyZahn.JPG

Well Inquisitor Peregrinus what you have outlined there for Ackbar was FAR better than what we got by a mile. It feels thought out, logical and a natural progression for the story and characters. I sent you a PM a few weeks back and if you like feel free to send more if you are so inclined. I'd love to see where you would have taken the overall plot and characters.

As for Heir to the Empire and the Thrawn Trilogy as a whole I really enjoyed it back in the day and like I said I'm likely going to revisit it one last time. I hope it holds up well. I will always have great memories of it though and of meeting Timothy Zahn in 2011. Super nice guy and he was kind enough to autograph my copy of Heir to the Empire and take a quick picture with him. View attachment 1028982

That's the canon story for Gial Ackbar. Heck part of it is in the form of Lego animated shorts lol

Gial Ackbar

Poe to the Rescue

Those novels sound more interesting to me than the films we got.

Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing guys! :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back