Limited Run Accurate RotJ Force Pike - Weapon of the Emperor's Royal Guard

Ah, I see - thanks for clarifying. Is that the same as in post #275, or is that your interim pike? That one sure looks gold/yellow at the worm gear cutter.

That's a very creative idea for a helmet stand! :cool:

Yes that was my 3d printed / fishing rod pike. There I painted the gear hob in titanium gold (Tamiya TS-87)

Happy with my wall mounted pike!View attachment 1029086

I'd been watching this thread all year thinking about how great it looks, but exercising self-restraint not to get in on the run since I didn't think I'd have anywhere to display it. I love how they turned out, but was content to look at people's pictures.

However, this pic with the helmet has thrown be over the edge, and now definitely call for a second run!

Mine arrived yesterday. Just gorgeous.

I have a bit of tape residue left on the clear plastic disc. Anyone have a recommendation for a cleaner that will remove the residue but not affect the plastic?

I second Somerset!

I'd been watching this thread all year thinking about how great it looks, but exercising self-restraint not to get in on the run since I didn't think I'd have anywhere to display it. I love how they turned out, but was content to look at people's pictures.

However, this pic with the helmet has thrown be over the edge, and now definitely call for a second run!

Heck I would be willing to pay over some for Tom's time and efforts, reward yourself a bit!

I have a bit of tape residue left on the clear plastic disc. Anyone have a recommendation for a cleaner that will remove the residue but not affect the plastic?
Goo Gone should do the trick without harming the plastic.

For acrylic and various plastics Novus polish does wonders:

--------------------------
UPDATE Spares

Barring any major problems with run pikes yet to be delivered (international ones are still in transit) it looks like we will have five spare pikes! Unfortunately this is obviously a very limited number compared to the amount of people messaging about them.

I think I have decided the fairest way to give everybody a shot at getting one. Given that dumping them all in the Junkyard would precipitate a flood of messages, be limited to RPF members AND those lucky enough be online at just the right time, I am going to try putting them on eBay, one at a time, once a week, ending at the same time with links and times posted in advance.

In either case, how do we convince you to do a 2nd run, now that all the details are nailed down and you know how to deliver!!
Come on Tommy...run number 2 would be soooo much easier ;)
I second Somerset!
Heck I would be willing to pay over some for Tom's time and efforts, reward yourself a bit!

Thank you for your enthusiasm and faith :D

I'm going to be honest, this run was a LOT more work than I anticipated and as such I'm not super keen to dive into a second run. My primary motivation was producing the most accurate pike possible, providing a quality product that people would be happy with and for the run to go as smoothly as possible, and while making money was not my primary concern making them at a $ loss was obviously not an option.

The run didn't go as smoothly as I wanted, we hit some snags with the original manufacturer backing out, new manufacturer substantially raising the price, later saying the original quote didn't include shipping, the unexpectedly huge customs fees, the finish issues that cost us 4 months etc. etc.
However I never realistically expected a completely trouble free run, I've been part of and/or followed a lot of them over the years and it seems they never truly are.

I do feel I've succeeded with my first two goals tho, having access to the fantastic reference I firmly believe it is the most accurate (without the wrinkly chrome tape, chipped/scratched handle with heavy sanding marks, holes etc.) pike available, short of tracking down the real found part (which I very much tried to do, and which were all different) and making it from the same materials and techniques. Posts by people that have received them suggest that they are very happy with the pike and it's quality. I've ended up with a little profit, which is nice, but not more than I could make in a day doing something else and certainly nowhere near offsetting the hundreds of hours of R&D analysing photos, 3d modelling, producing blueprints, engineering, liaising with machine shops, checking, assembling, packing etc.

If people are still clamouring for a second run once the spares are gone, and once I've had some time not thinking about this pike (it's been taking up a lot of space in my brain for well over a year ) I'll probably see how much interest there is in having another 50 produced;

However,
If there is a second run they will be more expensive.
After making them redo the finish several times the factory will not do them for that price again, if they would even take it on. I would also change how the pike goes together and split the handle into multiple parts to avoid the finish issues and the difficulties of mirror polishing a piece with a hard line and black anodising. This largely simplifies the finishing process but more or less doubles the number of machined parts.

Dude, you're being too hard on yourself. You succeeded in every department. Unforeseen expenses and delays is part of the game and none of it was because of YOU. You absolutely knocked this out of the park and in hind site the run went very smoothly from our point of view in that You announced it, we paid a deposit, you gave updates, even about delays and unexpected price hikes (happens ALL THE TIME), and then you called for final payments and we promptly got an AMAZING product. That's what you should be focusing on. Not the delays and certainly not the one negative comment. I know that you have a very different point of view on how this went because of the delays, frustration with shops, the pressure of delivering, etc. I just want you to know how it seemed from my end, which was flat out amazing. Maybe I'm more of a big picture guy, and I definitely have the years here to be able to compare it to other runs, but this one was right up there with the best of them.

I wholeheartedly agree with Trooper_trent. From my prospective, this run was wonderful. Your communication during the delay was fantastic. We were all kept abreast of the situation & progress, & the prince increase was completely understandable.
I think you should be very proud of the product you put out, & the manor at which it was put out. Clearly your hard work & research has paid off. The final piece is absolutely stunning!

Tom like trent and russ have said your way too hard on yourself. Every single run I’ve been on never makes the dead line NEVER

It’s just part of this hobby, and not the end of the world

You delivered one hell of a wicked project! I hope this doesn’t detour you from doing any other runs because i love your hard work and dedication!

Can’t wait to see what’s next

I had no problem with this run, the continuous communication was great, the pikes are superb. There are delays everywhere, we on RPF should be used to them already. Heck, look at some licensed companies like Anovos and EFX and their delays, lack of communication and quality of product. This run was so different from EFX And Anovos in everything. No wonder people are fighting to get a second run. Love my pike and cannot wait to have it displayed. Like I said before, it is Master Replicas quality.

And just to chime in with the above - this was a fantastic run. Yes, delays happened. And I can't imagine the stress you put yourself under and the frustration in dealing with the manufacturers, but you shouldn't let that overshadow the fantastic work you did and the excellent pike that we received. It is gorgeous and a job well done. Definitely take the lessons learned for future projects, but definitely don't beat yourself up over them. You managed them fantastically and kept us in the loop. That's a perfect run if I ever saw one. Well done.

And thanks for the cleaning suggestions, everyone! I don't deal in plastics much so I appreciate the advice for getting it clean w/out damaging it or making it cloudy (which I've done in the past).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back