About The mummy returns prop-Help!!!

Here's most of the second column for you:

? (? ASTRONOMY AND ASTROLOGY
and SOPDET). Surviving ? accounts of the
celebration of this period from the ? of the
established chronology of Egypt. However, even
with the addition of five ? ‘?’
days corresponding to the birthdays of the ?
Osiris, Isis, Horus, Seb and Nephthys a
discrepancy gradually developed between the
lunar year of 355 days and the ? solar year,
which was almost ? hours longer. This
effectively meant that the civil year and the
? seasonal year were synchronised only
once every 1460 years, although this does not
seem to have regarded as a fatal flaw until the
Ptolemaic period, when the concept of the ‘leap
year’ was introduced into the Alexandrian calendar,
later forming the basis for the Julian and
Gregorian calendars.
As well as the civil calendar there were also
? ? calendars consisting of
FESTIVALS and ceremonies associated with
particular ? and ? (e.g. the Feast of
Opet in Thebes, ? in the second month of
?).

Last edited:
ath200 I just used PhotoShop and looked at your screenshot at 200%, moving closer and further away until I could make out the words. I filled in some of the really blurry parts with quick Google searches like the number of days the calendars were out by and also using my Egyptology knowledge where I could to fit words like Osiris and Thebes.

I'll keep updating my post when I work out any more words. I just added one more.

I did try a Google for several sentences and blocks of text but I didn't find an exact match. I suspect the prop maker found a book on the Egyptian calendar and typed out what it said. Maybe the film was made before Wikipedia :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I find one book for ancient Egyptian Calendar maybe the text is from this book because this book talk for Egyptian calendar and other calendars.The name of the book is Sun,Moon and Sothis the publication date is the year 1999 and the author is the Lynn E.Rose and the publisher is the Kronos Press

I find one book for ancient Egyptian Calendar maybe the text is from this book because this book talk for Egyptian calendar and other calendars.

I hope so, that other column is very difficult to make out. There appear to be a few typo errors in the like 'although this does not seem to have regarded as a fatal flaw' which would make a lot more sense if it read 'although this does not seem to have been regarded as a fatal flaw', which is why I suspect that the text was lifted from a book rather than just copied from a web page (plus the Internet was still in its infancy back in 2001 and there wasn't as much resource to look at).

Good luck!

So, as an Egyptology student I had to step in.
You have the cartouche of Nectanebo II here. A king of the 30th dynastie.
His name means strong is Horus of Hebit. What Robert says is true so it is probably a prop book, though it could be a prop page for one and a random book for the other.
I have a programme for writing hieroglyphs on my computer, let me just see if I can upload a picture to here.

Last edited:
Oke, I had to rework it in Photoshop because the programme was acting up.It wouldn't do the cartouche, so I scraped Toet's one for parts.
I tried to get it close to your picture but this is the best I could do. Btw on the left page next to your scorpion cartouche it says ( in Egyptian): Son of Ra: Nectanebo, may he live like Ra. Thoth lord of ( I don't know for sure but it might be the two lands, haven't got my books here so I don't it certain since it is half obscured). Than on the right: may he live like Ra, who did for him the monuments of his father Thoth ( lord of the two lands?). I can't quite get the symbols before nb, it might be hierarchical transposition though.
So it seems unlikely that this is a real book
*edit: so it's not lord of the two lands ( which is common) but Thoth the twice great, lord of Hermopolis Magna ( then probably under the hand head upon the ogdoad of great gods)*
.Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the translation help mathew

So it seems unlikely that this is a real book

I agree I don't think it's a book either, if you look at the pictures I put in post #28 that's the original obelisk. It's literally the first Egyptian thing you see when you go to the British Museum it's just the other side of the main entrance. I guess the prop maker walked in, though 'perfect that will do', took some reference photos and that because the basis for a lot of their hieroglyphs (which is why it shows up so many times in the films). This is the museum's page on the obelisks: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explor...t_objects/aes/b/obelisks_of_nectanebo_ii.aspx

Last edited:
Oke, I made this. It needs a little work, but you've got the basic here. It's the biggest part of the left side.
I couldn't do the whole part because I am visiting my parents and haven't got my computer here.
.you might want to Photoshop it a little but it's got the basic figures
nectanebo 2.jpg

Attachments

• nectanebo 2.jpg
    nectanebo 2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
That looks good mathew! You should be able to add the symbols obscured by the actors fingers in the reference photo from my obelisk pictures.

Ouf of interest, and because I've been learning hieroglyphics recently, what program do you use for the hieroglyophics or is it just a font that you use? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Robert,

The programme I use is called Jsesh. It uses the standard Gardiner sign list. Unfortunately can't find a particular symbol in there, so I can't get any further yet.
I believe I heard someone talking about an patch to fix in all the signs from the Hannig sign list, but I can't find it,
If you are intereseted, it can be downloaded here .
If you don't mind me asking, are you learning it to yourself? And only the signs or also the Grammar ?
You are probably learning Middle Egyptian, right?

I made the symbol I couldn't find in Photoshop.
So here's the text :' on of Ra: Nectanebo, may he live like Ra. Thoth the twice great, lord of Hermopolis magna, lord of speech, upon the head ( meaning the head/ boss of) the great Ennead of the gods( ...) may he give all life.
nectanebo 2.jpg

The programme I use is called Jsesh. It uses the standard Gardiner sign list.
Thank you very much, I'll have to give it a go.

If you don't mind me asking, are you learning it to yourself? And only the signs or also the Grammar ?
You are probably learning Middle Egyptian, right?
I don't mind at all :D Yes Middle Egyptian, I attended a 4hour workshop at the British Museum which gave us the basics of transliteration. It was run by Bill Manley. Now I need to find more time to learn the language, at some point I will do some of the longer courses. So many hobbies and so little time!

I have more reference photos for the right hand side of the page too, it's one of the other faces of the obelisk. What's quite funny is that the location of the obelisk makes photography of two faces difficult, because the background is too bright, and the two faces that are in the book are the easy to photograph ones. The prop researcher just walked up to the first Egyptian thing in the museum and took reference photos of the two easiest to photograph faces. I will post those photos when I get home this evening.

I'll be out of town for a few days on a project in Moldova after that I will go on.
The text says: [ Nectanebo] may he live like ra, built his monument for his father Thoth, the twice great, lord of Hermopolis Magna, He erected his obelisk for his ( probably meaning Thoth's) house. For the rest I would have to take a look at my books. This is from the head so forgive any mistakes ( yea, I am showing off :)
btw Robert, It seems indeed that prop builders are lazy.XD

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back