AAV Drop Ship

Looking good. You should go over the interior with a light dry brushing of silver here and there, particularly on areas where there would be high wear. Not too much, but a little here and there will help give it that worn and used look.

I’ve never tried vacuum forming, it looks difficult and I’m worried about using my oven to heat up plastics ...., but what you’ve posted may change my mind down the road.
What do you use to cut the styrene so ‘cleanly’ after it’s shaped Katsu-san , especially considering the thickness (2mm) of the piece, and the fact that it’s also clear styrene ? :unsure:

Thanks for asking.
I am using these.
1566912814426.png

1566912875777.png

Don't use your teeth! ;)

Looking good. You should go over the interior with a light dry brushing of silver here and there, particularly on areas where there would be high wear. Not too much, but a little here and there will help give it that worn and used look.

Thank you for the kind advice.

katsu

Your canopy looks great!
I call it the heat and smash method. It works well for me if the shape is simple. I’ve never tried anything as large as this however. Sometimes if the shape is small like a 1/72nd or 1/48th scale canopy I use a hot air gun instead of the oven to heat the plastic. I can do that in the garage instead of the kitchen as some plastics give off a smell my wife objects to.

Thanks!
I often use those method with heat on styrene but the styrene is too weak against the heat. It's easily melt down and never can reuse again. Instead, acrylic is very strong at heat. It not melt like cheese but just softened like rubber. and if you feel it wasn't heat up enough, you can put it back in a oven again and reheat until your desired condition.

Last edited:
I have used styrene before so that I can be sure regular model building glue will work. The liquid glues from Tamiya or Plastruct should glue acrylic so next time I will used that. I never use "crazy glue" as it causes white deposits on the inside of the clear part and cannot be removed.

I have used styrene before so that I can be sure regular model building glue will work. The liquid glues from Tamiya or Plastruct should glue acrylic so next time I will used that. I never use "crazy glue" as it causes white deposits on the inside of the clear part and cannot be removed.

You are right. Adhesion between acrylic is no problem with the dedicated liquid glue. Between clear acrylic and styrene or metal is the issue here.
I just forgot but I think I hard someone saying there's a way to wipe out that white spot in this forum many years ago. Alcohol or something.
I will study on it.

I’ve used Micro Krystal Klear to ‘glue’ clear styrene to styrene, and acrylic before with pretty good results. Whilst using clear setting PVA for larger surface areas.
No ‘hazing’ issues.
Not sure how suitable it’d be with gluing those types of materials to metal though ?

Great trick for forming the cockpit: I'll use it in the future:notworthy::notworthy:

Thank you, joberg-san.

I’ve used Micro Krystal Klear to ‘glue’ clear styrene to styrene, and acrylic before with pretty good results. No ‘hazing’ issues.
Not sure how suitable it’d be with gluing those types of materials to metal though ?

Ohh, this is it! I can get it on AMAZON with reasonable price!
Thank you Ged-san my friend. Looks like it's also good for metal.
I've just ordered it.
I was thinking about this new product of ultra violet glue.
This was developed by Japanese dentist recently.
It looks amazing but the price is bit too high.

Today, I was thinking about making a canopy frame.
I want to make it open in two parts like F-4 Phantom. I have been thinking all through this morning but no good idea came up for the mechanism of the front canopy hinge. Seems I've caught a cold last week and feel tired and feel heavy these days. I should take a little rest today.

Thanks and best regards,
Katsu

While you’re suffering from the always ‘deadly’ man flu/cold my friend, I’m sure you’ll be brave, and struggle through with thinking up solutions for the cockpit hinge mechanisms !;)
The double canopy similar to an F-4’s is cool, maybe you’ve considered having the rear one open the ‘traditional’ way, while having the front one ‘hinged’ at the front !?
That way any structure used to build it could be ‘disguised’ to include a HUD display too ?
Look after yourself Katsu-san, and get well soon !

I hope you recover quickly. Should you have any fever-induced visions of strange vehicles, be sure to sketch them before the images in your mind fade.

Thank you, joberg-san.

Ohh, this is it! I can get it on AMAZON with reasonable price!
Thank you Ged-san my friend. Looks like it's also good for metal.
I've just ordered it.
I was thinking about this new product of ultra violet glue.
This was developed by Japanese dentist recently.
It looks amazing but the price is bit too high.

Today, I was thinking about making a canopy frame.
I want to make it open in two parts like F-4 Phantom. I have been thinking all through this morning but no good idea came up for the mechanism of the front canopy hinge. Seems I've caught a cold last week and feel tired and feel heavy these days. I should take a little rest today.

Thanks and best regards,
Katsu
Kick back and relax a little, there is nothing more annoying than MAN FLUE

Get some rest and keep the sketch book near by while you nap in case some good ideas pop up. You will be your old self soon! Maybe your wife or daughter can cook for you? I recommend chicken soup, it cures everything!

Maybe one part of the canopy should hinge to the left and the other part hinge to the right? The Huey Cobra canopy works something like that. I think that is to keep the canopy away from the rotor blades.
The ultra violet "glue" looks handy. Its not really a glue in the usual sense but a plastic that is hardened by the ultra violet light.

Last edited:
While you’re suffering from the always ‘deadly’ man flu/cold my friend, I’m sure you’ll be brave, and struggle through with thinking up solutions for the cockpit hinge mechanisms !;)
The double canopy similar to an F-4’s is cool, maybe you’ve considered having the rear one open the ‘traditional’ way, while having the front one ‘hinged’ at the front !?
That way any structure used to build it could be ‘disguised’ to include a HUD display too ?
Look after yourself Katsu-san, and get well soon !

I thought about the front hinge canopy that way. I don't think the future combat aircraft uses HUD but the HUD is a cool charm for the model.
So, I've just come up wit........ MAN FLU...... Hey, is your most concerning thing is a mechanism of canopy hinge or my bad cold? :mad:
Not man flu!! I'm really got a cold! :sick:
Cooough, cough, cough.

I hope you recover quickly. Should you have any fever-induced visions of strange vehicles, be sure to sketch them before the images in your mind fade.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. I WILL, Tom-san :devil:

Kick back and relax a little, there is nothing more annoying than MAN FLUE

Ghaaa, I'm not a school boy want to skip the swimming class. I'm really got a bad cold!! Ben-san. :devil:

Maybe one part of the canopy should hinge to the left and the other part hinge to the right? The Huey Cobra canopy works something like that. I think that is to keep the canopy away from the rotor blades.
The ultra violet "glue" looks handy. Its not really a glue in the usual sense but a plastic that is hardened by the ultra violet light.

Get some rest and keep the sketch book near by while you nap in case some good ideas pop up. You will be your old self soon! Maybe your wife or daughter can cook for you? I recommend chicken soup, it cures everything!

Thanks for the idea about the canopy, Ken-san but,,,,
At least you should ask about MY physical condition at the first place!! :sick:

Now I feel so happy that I am a very lucky man that I have so many kind gentlemen who care for my health as much as care for the mechanism of canopy of my little model. Ha!

To think about the cause of this cold, it was happened at the dawn last Sunday. I woke up with a runny nose in the cold bedroom, next to me on the bed, my beloved half naked wife was sleeping peacefully with no blanket. With my trembling jaw, I found the remote of the air conditioner was set to 22 degrees Celsius (about 70 deg F). I thought she is gonna freeze me.

Overcoming many of these difficulties, I came up with an idea this morning.
That was rather simple way that makes it able to use a minimum size of hinges at the front canopy frame.

uZjfRYl.jpg

bDs7QEW.jpg

YXh2DWz.jpg

The front canopy will hinged at the top of the canopy frame and held by a pair of thin push rods on both sides.
I happened to remember the rear hatch of my old car '91 Camaro. (That was a great car).

1567133460582.png

There might be some more issue to consider about this but I will be working on some paper work to check the eligibility.

Again, thank you very much for your great care for MY health, gentlemen.

katsu

Feeling any better yet? I hope this doesn't spread to the rest of your family! That's what usually happens at my house.
I fixed my post concerning canopy and chicken soup. Things are in the proper order now. My apologies.

katsu
Feeling any better yet? I hope this doesn't spread to the rest of your family! That's what usually happens at my house.
I fixed my post concerning canopy and chicken soup. Things are in the proper order now. My apologies.

Naaa :lol: No apologies and thank you! Actually I had a chicken soup last night.
I am back in normal this morning.

katsu

Glad to hear you’re doing better Katsu-san ! (y)

But, Normal ! ...., what’s ‘normal’ ?, there’s nothing normal about you !
You’re an enigmatic being...., in a ‘good’ way of course !
Now, there’s work on your build to catch up on !:devil::p

Glad to hear you’re doing better Katsu-san ! (y)

But, Normal ! ...., what’s ‘normal’ ?, there’s nothing normal about you !
You’re an enigmatic being...., in a ‘good’ way of course !
Now, there’s work on your build to catch up on !:devil::p

Thank you, Ged-san. My wife say so, too. I don't know if it's a good way thou. :rolleyes:

Nothing beats good old chicken soup! Glad you're feeling better Katsu-san.

Thank you very much, stevelewis-san.
You are right! I cooked for me by myself as always.;)

Now I'm thinking how to clean cut the canopy to three parts and fix them frames on them and how to mount the canopy on the nose fuselage and look like blended.:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

I missed a lot while I was on vacation last week! (we went to the beach)

The canopy is looking great!

...and glad your feeling better

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back