A quick tutorial on making eyes

I've just picked up the white mold you use for 99p from the works, need something to make the resin white now. :)

phily - make sure you wax all the recesses before the pour. i use a soft mould release wax which leaves a nice polish on the eye surface.

hi,
I'm not a subscriber to that site but clicked the link for the sampler. look good but for my purposes seems pretty involved. you can create veining using spidery fibres etc.
its something tomplay with :D

Agreed, far too involved. This technique is much simpler.:thumbsup

I made eyes similar to this about 25+ years ago. Back then, I used a custom die punch to punch out discs of black plastic and then painted the irises by hand with oil paint. Before adding the white resin I would take a few tiny red threads and float them in the resin to make veins. I'll try and dig them up and post a picture. Nice work Claymore61! They look great.

Hi v3d
Thanks.
I knew there must be some way to make them, but couldn't find much refs online for human eyes. so just went down a logical route.
i remember years ago watching a telly program on Madame tussauds where it showed a fairly long process, but i just wanted to try something quick, with modern, freely available materials.
......... in the words from the 6 million dollar man...... we have the technology! Lol

Hi Cadeus
I use polylight 32032 water clear polystyrene resin
The HDT heat defective temperature is 74 degrees celcius (165f)
I'm afraid it doesn't mention combustibility, but it must be way above that
Hope this helps

I have to say that that is a great tutorial that puts it all simple enough that I'm going to have to give it a go! Thank you very much. :thumbsup

If anyone doesn't have the facilities or cant be bothered, I'd be willing to make some eyes.
I'm moulding stuff all the time so it should be a fairly quick turnaround.
Any interest, Let me know.
If you want your own eye cast I will need a high res, sharp photo of the iris

Great work mate. I was thinking of doing the same thing but was going to print the eyes onto decal paper and then spraying them with many coats of clear followed by clear resin to give them the glass like effect. I've attached a pic of a cheap acrylic eye in a Superman bust I did for a customer which I finished with the clear resin. I put the resin over the eyes once I've glued them in which gives the eyes the wet look.

Supermans Eye.jpg

Brilliant post, they look awfy guid. Definitely something I will try. Can you recommend the best place to get the resin? I too live in the UK and it is hard to find some of the products recommended on here.
:)
hi smelly
ive done amother post which shows a method of creating completely round eyes and they look better, but the half round ones on this post are quick, easy and useful.
i get my resins from Allscot plastics in Glasgow. they are a trade place for fibreglass etc, but they're very good and friendly.
they also sell at trade prices - not crafty shops prices.
they have an online shop too.
there are other places too, but allscot are about 5 mins from my house, so they are handy and open late a couple of times a week.
they haveall theresinsnd colour, latex, silicon etc.
hope this helps

Great work mate. I was thinking of doing the same thing but was going to print the eyes onto decal paper and then spraying them with many coats of clear followed by clear resin to give them the glass like effect. I've attached a pic of a cheap acrylic eye in a Superman bust I did for a customer which I finished with the clear resin. I put the resin over the eyes once I've glued them in which gives the eyes the wet look.

View attachment 185227

looks good to me, quite realistic.
im a cheap b******* and i like a challenge, thats why I gave ita go myself.
the problem was always using clear resin with silicon moulds.
this is solved by using platinum silicon ( relatively hard) then preheating the mould, just before the first pour

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone done any eye with this?
id like to see them

hi smelly
ive done amother post which shows a method of creating completely round eyes and they look better, but the half round ones on this post are quick, easy and useful.
i get my resins from Allscot plastics in Glasgow. they are a trade place for fibreglass etc, but they're very good and friendly.
they also sell at trade prices - not crafty shops prices.
they have an online shop too.
there are other places too, but allscot are about 5 mins from my house, so they are handy and open late a couple of times a week.
they haveall theresinsnd colour, latex, silicon etc.
hope this helps

I have checked their site out and its great! Thanks for the tip. I am up in Edinburgh for my sisters wedding later in the year so I may have to take a trip through....
Loving your work, your methods are inspirational, keep it up. Cant wait to see Davy Jones finished and painted.
Cheers

I have checked their site out and its great! Thanks for the tip. I am up in Edinburgh for my sisters wedding later in the year so I may have to take a trip through....
Loving your work, your methods are inspirational, keep it up. Cant wait to see Davy Jones finished and painted.
Cheers

thanks for that:$
DJ is becoming a labour of love lol and times a marching on, but i dont give in easy, but i like to do wee side models to vary things up.

keep watching

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back