Mask Making Question

kdub74

Good day hive mind! I have a dilemma/question I hope you can help with.

I am attaching some (VERY) early photos of a 40K Ork Warboss Cosplay I have started working on (mostly to give you guys an idea of scale).

The Armor (after a few iterations) is now coming out well, but the prospect of this mask still has me confounded. I want to make it so the mouth can articulate somewhat. (Don't need full range, just enough to wow folks a bit at the con)

I'm about to make a lifeform of my head to sculpt the mask on, but after that point, I'm unsure what materials would make the most sense to use for the mold and the actual mask itself. I am an old hat to armor making and was able to slush cast the Tyranid skull on the shoulder that came out very nicely, but the mask... that thing... it scares me. LOL

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Also, credit for the original model goes to DesertClawMerc on Reddit.

Attachments

• Warboss Head.jpg
    Warboss Head.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Ken Fit.jpg
    Ken Fit.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 72112664_3003514876332479_8268641029322702848_n.jpg
    72112664_3003514876332479_8268641029322702848_n.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 40
Once you have made a clay or such like mold over your head cast you then want a suitable material that will preserve all that fine detail from your skulpt, say either a Smooth On silicone that you can build up in layers then a hard over structure, plaster of Paris is cheap but can be heavy or Fibreglass which is super light and sturdy.
You need to plan ahead to avoid disaster, things like under cuts need to be taken into consideration and also is it a one piece mold (good for flexible masks) or two part or more molds which also requires a separating solution.
Do a quick search here and interweb and you will find a ton of very good tutorials..

Once you have made a clay or such like mold over your head cast you then want a suitable material that will preserve all that fine detail from your skulpt, say either a Smooth On silicone that you can build up in layers then a hard over structure, plaster of Paris is cheap but can be heavy or Fibreglass which is super light and sturdy.
You need to plan ahead to avoid disaster, things like under cuts need to be taken into consideration and also is it a one piece mold (good for flexible masks) or two part or more molds which also requires a separating solution.
Do a quick search here and interweb and you will find a ton of very good tutorials..
Thank you for the advice!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back