A Pumpkin inspired by Halloweentown

Zcoberly

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So for Halloween every year my house is the one to go to if ya want to be scared!

remembering the disney movie, Halloweentown, and there HUGE pumpkin in the center of town, i thought, how cool would it be to have a GIANT pumpkin sitting in the front yard of my house.

so, i started out with about a 5 foot tall pvc pipe, and a small piece of plywood as a base. then i took chicken wire and stapled it to the plywood, brought it up and over the top of the pvc and stapled it to that. once the frame was done i began to PAPER MACHE!!!!! and that is where i am now, i will post pics soon.

Agreed. I'm waiting to see this with eager anticipation!

Every year I want to decorate the house in Nightmare Before Christmas style, but never get to it.

>>>clip<<< once the frame was done i began to PAPER MACHE!!!!! and that is where i am now, i will post pics soon.

Sounds like an awesome project! Look forward to seeing the pics. That's a mighty big pumpkin, 5 ft. tall!

Have you seen these? I've always wanted to try this out, but fall/Halloween is such a busy time of year I've never got around to even giving it a try. They are made using a garbage bag, not as big as the one you're working on, but I was wondering if the technique would work using like a drop cloth, gluing the edges into bag to make a really giant one?......I don't know, might get to monstrous to work with?

Tortured Pumpkins -Really Bad Seeds by Stolloween
Stolloween How-to
Stolloween More....

Shylaah

Sounds like an awesome project! Look forward to seeing the pics. That's a mighty big pumpkin, 5 ft. tall!

Have you seen these? I've always wanted to try this out, but fall/Halloween is such a busy time of year I've never got around to even giving it a try. They are made using a garbage bag, not as big as the one you're working on, but I was wondering if the technique would work using like a drop cloth, gluing the edges into bag to make a really giant one?......I don't know, might get to monstrous to work with?

Tortured Pumpkins -Really Bad Seeds by Stolloween
Stolloween How-to
Stolloween More....

Shylaah

yes! i have seen those! I actually couldnt decide between make one of those, large scale, or the halloweentown pumpkin, BUT now i have just decided to make it and uncarved giant pumpkin... a dark orange/brown pumpkin with a long twisted stem.....ohhhh yesss thats what my pumkin will be...

So the first two pics are the frame of this pumpkin. like i said earlier, it is nothin but pvc and chicken wire.
pumpkin002.jpg

pumpkin001.jpg

Here is a pic of the pumpkin getting its first layer of paper. the first layer needed to be dry and taped on, then paper mache goes over top of that....cause wet newspaper wont stick to chicken wire.
pumpkin003.jpg

ohhhhhh mannnnnnn I TOTALLY forgot that I started this thread on here..... ahahaha WOOPS!

I did finish it in time for halloween last year and it looked soooo cool!!! It did end up drooping a little bit because it was so heavy and I didn;t have it supported on the inside correctly....UNFORTUNATLY the weight of all that monster mud broke down the frame of the past year and it needs to be torn apart and remade... I havent decided if I am going to mess with it or not for this year... I will try and find some finished pics of it

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back