A Noob Hope Graflex Lightsaber Build

Thanks @thd9791! Means a lot coming from you.

That's good to know about the ESB saber and the little screw because my next build will be the ESB saber.

Thank you too, @Jerome - I was just looking at your thread about all the Luke sabers. Very nice.

It was hard at first to make the decision to bash up my shiny new, and pricey, T-Track, but once I gave it the first scratch, the rest came easy. I said I was going to make a weathered saber and I meant it!

@Jerome - I think I have a spare piece of T-Track to experiment with. The ESB saber only has six grips, right? I bought the ANH set so I have a spare. I'll use that and the short tube from the 2-cell as a test-bed for gluing. I think Sym-Cha made the same suggestion, so thanks to him too.

How the heck did anyone get anything made before the Internet?!

@KhalDrogo - Looks like you've got a D-Ring from Sym-Cha, the D-Ring master! Either that or someone who used his template and did a really good job. Nice!

Why thank you:sleep

Yes I used Chaim's diagram and hand made the dee ring for KhalDrogo's saber.

Fire extinguisher stainless steel safety pull pin for the ring and a piece cut from a stainless steel saucepan lid for the plate. Sorry if that spoils the mystery somewhat.

Indeed, impressive work! :D congrats!!

And thanks to you too. I'm having fun with this. It's been a long time since I built something with my hands. And I haven't even sliced myself open with the X-Acto knife yet! I have, however, rediscovered my greatest modeling talent from when I was a kid: dropping small items and losing them under things. :unsure

I believe the d ring on my Graflex was made from scratch by the original builder. I'm pretty happy with it.

Dring_zps4038c26e.jpg

If that is pfillery's graflex ANH, then you have real vintage metal T-track as well and it's the first of its kind ... since I haven't even begun working on those . . . and indeed that's the D-ring and a clip configuration after my initial design and well executed too :)

And I'm not a D-ring master . . . yet, but thanks for your compliment VFX Freak :lol

As for your grips . . . :love

-Chaim

Very cool idea roughing up the grips! I never considered it, but it looks great.

You'll fit right in here with that kinda creativity.

As for your grips . . . :love

-Chaim

Thank you, Sym-Cha. I am honored!

You might want to attach the d-ring before the grips.

Thanks. That sounds like good advice. But now I need to make a D-Ring decision.

Very cool idea roughing up the grips! I never considered it, but it looks great.

You'll fit right in here with that kinda creativity.

:D Thanks very much for the compliment!

Okay, time to post some photos...

Okay, the first and most important question is can I proceed with this D-Ring? I took the clip from the Strapworks set and added a 3/4" stainless welded D-Ring from Seattle Fabrics. I think this looks pretty close to the original prop, but I'd appreciate some expert opinions.

More ANH WIP-3.jpg

The next photo is an oddity. I bought another Graflex 3-Cell because I got it in my head to make another ANH Luke saber for my best friend for his birthday. We grew up seeing the movies together and it would mean the world to him. So I bought a somewhat battered Graflex so I could do the same weather-worn treatment as the one I'm making now. Instead of a glass eye and knurled retainer on the bottom I found this:

More ANH WIP-2.jpg

Has anyone seen one of these before? Luckily I have a 2-Cell Graflex that I will steal the necessary parts from. I just thought it was odd.

You might have gotten the impression I've been accumulating a few extra bits and pieces. In Organic Mechanic's build thread I asked if I'd be alright buying just one of these things and everyone laughed at me. I have indeed gone to the dark side. Here's the evidence of my growing madness and addiction:

More ANH WIP-1.jpg

Two 3-Cells for ANH Luke sabers, one for an ESB build, a 2-Cell for spares, a spare clamp, two Exactras, and piles of T-Track. I didn't even include the D-Rings. What's happening to me!?!?:eek

As always, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I think that D-ring looks great.

As do your grips, though you're clearly a braver soul than I. I couldn't have done it. :lol

Never seen one of those eye pieces before, very odd.

Holy bejeebus man! That is a pile of Graflexes and Exactras! How is life with just the one kidney treating you? :lol

I've seen one of those before. Its some sort of adapter to use in place of the focus lamp. When I saw it, it had a cord running through it that I presume attached to the camera or perhaps a slave unit.

The next photo is an oddity. I bought another Graflex 3-Cell because I got it in my head to make another ANH Luke saber for my best friend for his birthday. We grew up seeing the movies together and it would mean the world to him. So I bought a somewhat battered Graflex so I could do the same weather-worn treatment as the one I'm making now. Instead of a glass eye and knurled retainer on the bottom I found this:

attachment.php

Has anyone seen one of these before?

Holy bejeebus man! That is a pile of Graflexes and Exactras! How is life with just the one kidney treating you? :lol

:lol:lol:lol

Ouch! Hurts when I laugh. Don't want the stitches to come out!

Thanks for the thought on the D-Ring. A few tweaks and I might have the guts to drill the hole tomorrow.

The glass eye part is indeed normally fitted with a cord. I believe the cord is for a slave unit or remote trigger for the flash. I've seen a few like this.

Look for Sym Cha's d-ring tutorial and make a d-ring from that for the best result, his diagram is great.

Indeed you are powerful ... I can sense there's much eager in you . . . you must learn patience my young apprentice :lol

That's the same D-ring that I got from thegreatgalling to verify it next to my own design and it seems a little more 'fat'. My D was about 2.5 mm thick, since I'm not at home I can not measure it. How 'fat' is yours, VFX Freak? As pfillery suggested making a more round D read up on my tutorial post #5 :

http://www.therpf.com/f9/luke-anh-lightsaber-d-ring-103270/

I have one of those without-glass-eyes I call them and it came with a fake red jewel inside done so by the previous owner . . . I have the crown graphic camera manual so I could look up it's function . . . but it has to wait until I return home.

-Chaim

you must learn patience my young apprentice :lol

That's the same D-ring that I got from thegreatgalling to verify it next to my own design and it seems a little more 'fat'. My D was about 2.5 mm thick, since I'm not at home I can not measure it. How 'fat' is yours, VFX Freak?

-Chaim

Alas, patience does not come easily to me. I used all mine up in an earlier animation career.

@Sym-Cha and @Lichtbringer are right. I pulled out the calipers and that D-Ring is too fat by .5mm. Drat! Perhaps I'll print out Sym-Cha's template and have a go at custom making my own.:confused

when making your own use a thin metal sheet to create the clip . . . mine was stainless, I think, and was just part of the stock my silversmith uses regularly. I shall say this only once : read my tutorial carefully before starting and then once more :D

-Chaim

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back