89 batmobile building progress

roguemodeler

took the provided jet fan and added alot....including each individual fan blade. new shroud.....etc. Comes off really great. There are 2-3 different versions of the jet fan....I built one that is seen most frequently. Forbidden zone and I have discussed the paint scheme.....the car is GLOSS BLACK> To shoot for the movie most of the shots were done with a car shot in a satin to semi flat paint.......why? lights and camera angles make it very tough to shoot a high gloss car.....especially in black. lights reflect, you lose all detail, etc. Mine will be gloss black. I am skimming with bondo to smooth the body to accept the gloss paint. NOTE: the windshield wipers, this car was only used in the raining sequences. This is also the street legal version. You can see the mechanism on the center hood that provides for the canopy to open......the canopy is open in this picture.

Different front jet fan.... hero or touring version?.........LAST PICTURE.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falcondesigns @ Jan 2 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]1389258[/snapback]</div>
First pic hero,last one show car.Alexander
[/b]
Cool. thanks, at least I'm on track to make the hero version. M

The wipers were on the second films car.If you coat the car with semi-gloss clear after the gloss it will look more like the car in the movie.Alexander

I believe this is the fiberglass studio scale model Howard was offering not too long ago (correct me if I'm wrong :) ).

Were those greeblies included with the kit? Or were they kit-bashed/scratch-built?

Howdy,
A few things to look at... Falcondesigns is right... ya got two cars there. gray satin finish is the hero, the other one actually appears to be Bat 2. Not necessarly a show car, she's the second film car from Batman returns. She is currently, unless she's been sold or removed, at a known auto museum in Tallahassee, Florida. Her gauges are VDo gauges and much more traditional than Batcar 1. you stadder sp? vanes should be turned facing "on end" if that makes any sense, turbine blades behind them, the bearing shroud cover you really need to remake, it's not right and too small. The Bearing shroud cover for the turbine actually should have a flatter underside in appearrance for the side, there truely a top and bottom to it..refer to 1/18th scale Diecast Batmobile if you can. the shroud is perfect, the braces got a little boggled but basically are correct as well, just missing the center part ond outer [part of the brace which bascially repeats shape attched to the shroud but mirrored.
Also, the side intake(large oval shape) doesnt have sceen in it till further back. need to make a "funnel" type shape for the intake for everything viewable from the side of the car. Only at the small end of the tunnel does it get any screen.
For the best reference of the side details,actually almost everything...if you have a 1/18 scale Hotwheels diecast Batmobile , use that for reference,it's right. Even the tire tread is accurate for the Hero, only missing the lettering, guess a trademark issue there....not sure.
hope this helps ya. :)
Best,
Will

I know, the kit that I expected to take a month to do is now a 6 month project. Everything is wrong, from the front to the sides to the back....I've decided to rebuild this kit without going Batsh-t over it. (pun intended) It will be a much better representation than what was originally sent to me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate anyone on this site who has the time and wherewithall to design, scratch and cast a kit for guys like me to build. I will never say a bad word about anyone who does this......why? because I can't put up and shut up......I build and paint, that's my desire in all this. Guys like swpropmaker, echoleader, capt cardboard, chewie15, are my hero's in all this. It's only a hobby....what I do in my real life is real....this stuff takes me away. I am completing a rendition of this kit that when I get done and take it to a model contest/show it will blow people away.....and that's the moment......to see the smile on a kids face as he tugs on his dads arm showing him my model. Does he care if this greebly is the exact one used? hell no, people look at the big picture......I pity the guys who look at a model to pick at it, inspect every detail.....go nuts because the greebly used was a valve cover that says moroso instead of edlebrock.......you get my drift. After this kit I have the probe droid, escape pod, x-wing, y-wing, aries 1-b. Mars moonliner, yada yada yada......this is after all, a hobby, and supposed to be fun.

i dont know how true this is so please put me right if im wrong...........

but the burner you see firing from the back of this Batmobile was supposedly made at a company in my Old Home town of Droitwich, Worcestershire, UK

Ok, with the much appreciated help of firefoxm31 here is the revised intake and side detail.....best I could do out of my greebly box......pretty darn good...I think. also, the side intake has been altered to the best of my ability without scratching a whole new one......comes off well now I think......shown against the left side which is the original position designed for the kit. THANKS TO FIREFOXM31 .......

Updated shot of side detail,, primed. Plus Coffee....... And The BACK END. sculpting nightmare. It iwll go from this clump of bondo to the sleek design needed for the back end......i hope. One thing, when I am done with a section and ready for final paint, I use my webcam to go over the model like a TV.......it picks up abnormalities and defects better then the naked eye. Sometimes you won't see something until the final gloss coat is applied.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back