89 Batman moveability

knight rider

Hi all,

I havnt attached my armour pieces to the under suit yet, i think the legs will be ok, but the chest part is going to be a pain because of the shoulders. Ive loosely attached it to try on with my cape and its a nightmare, you cant lift your arms up that high to sprelad the cape and when i do, it all moves around so I was thinking of possibly cutting the shoulder parts off and gluing them on as a separate part, but obviously they will be glued on right next to the corresponding piece of armour so there shouldnt be that much of a join. but hopefully when i lift my arms it separates slightly allowing me to lift my arms higher up to show the cape off.

chestarmour.jpg

If i carefully cut down there im hoping it will work, unless there is some other way about this ?

Thanks,

Scott

Firstly whos 89 chest is it, if its not fitting on your shoulders snug when you lift your arms the shoulders dont move with your arm,
is there space between your shoulder and the chest piece shoulder?
before you cut it try padding your shoulders with foam then temp tape the arms around yours so the piece feels more like its part
of your own body, if this helps with movement then stick the foam inside perm, I have a few 89 chests and some are wide at the shoulders
and I get the same effect ,its the problem when its a one size fits most piece.

Thanks mate, i bought it off ebay, risky i know but i got it fairly cheap. There are far superior chest pieces out there for sure.

I will try the foam then, and taping it to my undersuit to see how moveability is exactly.

Did you buy from mrdashbo?
looks like a recast of a Bob Dullam sculpt, The one in my picture is a Bob Dullam as well done by Artsee1
is it very thin as you could make it much better by thickening it up, Lay it on something soft like an old duvet
old mind.... clean the surface with acetone or IPA push the muscle /abs forward ... then fill just the muscle hollows
with thickened latex until you have a nice thick layer and leave to set for as long as it takes, probably days...
you will find it keep a better shape when on without the muscle shape distorting....

89 chest.jpg

Looks good man. Btw artsee1 doesn't seem to have the impression on the chest where the symbol goes?jw to see if you had his as it's most affordable and if you liked it and how it looked.

It was one he does now and then...yes it has the emblem slot, its a good thick pull, it had extra latex around the front edge that I trimmed off.
the legs are one piece wrap around and resemble the film frames if you pause in the fight scenes especially the bottom of the crutch area
but had the knees attached which I trimmed to, It needed some finishing off to look the way it does now, there are a couple of people in the
states that are selling this set, I like it better than the urethane suits as you can work on latex until your happy with it.
the only negative to the torso is it is very broad at the shoulders unless your build like an NFL player needs padding out if your not a body
builder....
will be doing my own sculpt this year using it as inspiration to get a tighter fit on the shoulders for us normal shape guys.....

Last edited:
It was one he does now and then...yes it has the emblem slot, its a good thick pull, it had extra latex around the front edge that I trimmed off.
the legs are one piece wrap around and resemble the film frames if you pause in the fight scenes especially the bottom of the crutch area
but had the knees attached which I trimmed to, It needed some finishing off to look the way it does now, there are a couple of people in the
states that are selling this set, I like it better than the urethane suits as you can work on latex until your happy with it.
the only negative to the torso is it is very broad at the shoulders unless your build like an NFL player needs padding out if your not a body
builder....
will be doing my own sculpt this year using it as inspiration to get a tighter fit on the shoulders for us normal shape guys.....
So you have any pics of your suit? And yeah, I'm a lean guy ,5'11 ,160 lbs lol.

MrDashBo, yeah thats the guy i got it from, so its a recast then ? urgh, well i will give it a try and see how it goes. It doesnt feel thin, its pretty weighty sitting on my chest, theres a few imperfections on it though which could be better.

has it any back to it?
My torso in the picture is probably a brother of a brother of yours along the line if you know what I mean....
at the end of the day it is what it looks like when you have finished it.
latex is my favorite to work on you can mess it up and with a bit of work it is looking good again, urethane is a bugger
to work on unless you have pro materials to use, if you try and scrimp with the I will try this on it you will mess it up.
how far have you got with the rest of the costume? legs boots gloves?

Oh yeh good luck with the order from PJ set your alarm for Christmas.......or the one after....

has it any back to it?
My torso in the picture is probably a brother of a brother of yours along the line if you know what I mean....
at the end of the day it is what it looks like when you have finished it.
latex is my favorite to work on you can mess it up and with a bit of work it is looking good again, urethane is a bugger
to work on unless you have pro materials to use, if you try and scrimp with the I will try this on it you will mess it up.
how far have you got with the rest of the costume? legs boots gloves?

Oh yeh good luck with the order from PJ set your alarm for Christmas.......or the one after....

I've heard he is very unreliable with delivery times.Any pointers on possibly making gloves toxic?

I think its all down to your budget, and what level of accuracy your after.. I am probably one of the older 89 costume fans,
and can now afford to spend money on getting it to a higher level. spent most of my life in custom car, classic car restoration
and now have time and money to what my wife says waste on another hobby, anyway if you want it looking good then hang
in there and keep searching and asking other fans and like me a pair of authentic gloves were offered to me by the great Greg Day
in the States at a great price, I could have only bought the fins and arm plates for what he sold them to me ....buy the time
you have spent getting the bike gloves although good no suede no palm studs and made the arm parts put hours of work into
them you might as well bite the bullet and bought a pair of Freds great gloves, I was just going to order some then Greg came
through.......... there out there.
by the way I have not got decent pictures of my complete suit yet there all in my special hiding places from the wife...Lol...
If she saw all what I have she would divorce me :confused... umm sounds like a good idea... only kidding, she isnt getting all my money
that could go to this hobby, and remember this is a hobby dont let it upset your family if they dont show any interest and
understanding like mine....thinking that what are all those red soled shoes she has that are a blinking stupid price..I could
have bought the real 89 car by now....LOL

Last edited:
Greeting Gents,

I am new here but found your post and hopefully I can be of some assistance. I got my 89 gloves from a reputable company here in the USA and they are incredible. An exact replica of the 89 gloves, metal studs and all. I too am having issues with my torso with lifting up my arms. I actually tore my torso at the underarm seam. Had to glue 3 times. Its made from 40 shore urethane so its thick and heavy, but I am 6'4" and 225lbs so I may be a little big for it. If you want to email me I can give you the name and address of the guy with the 89 gloves. Cheers!

send me a PM with the info Thanks Vintage...
about the tears..being a big chap, you must be putting it under stress. if you reinforce the back of the rip with some mesh cloth or power mesh
rough up the urethane before, and coat with a flexible glue like dive suit glue, making sure it gets through the reinforcement cloth. then
if you want cover with a thin leather patch for comfort.

Hi guys! It is very interesting all the information you provide on this forum. I need some advice from you. I'm just going to glue my urethane Bat89 costume to my 5mm dive under suit but I need to know what glue is the perfect one. I've been reading that Superglue is the right thing, but I know cyanocrilate became a crystallized solid and I assume that this is not the best choice for elastic materials. I know there are some elastic glue but I don't know what to do. I'm in a neutral zone here and need some advice from more experienced people like you.
What do you recommend? Superglue or other? Any brand you consider the best choice?
Thanks a lot for any help you can provide me.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back