Been busy sanding for a few days, and started proper assembly with glue this evening.
Made changes to 2 parts and re-printing them at the moment, so design-wise i think its done!
Hoping to have it assembled/puttied/primed/etc by the weekend so i can start adding little styrene details for panels, piping etc etc.
I decided to go light on the extra styrene details, just a few panels, strips here and there, plus a bunch of small greeblies from my model leftovers box. I also found a photo etch set from a sherman tank that i no longer have so have put various pieces of that here and there, to add detail, break up flat areas etc. Hard to see in these pics given the size of the ship.
But i decided i wanted to keep it close to plain 3d printed. Is it 100% super screen accurate? Hell no. But does it look like what its meant to be? Yep, good enough for me.
Now she's ready for paint!
Gave her a flat black base coat this evening.
That highlighted a few spots where i hadnt sanded it smooth properly, which you can see here mainly on the side panel of the engine section. So once the paint is dry i'll sand that bit, and smooth it out with some thin putty. A few little scratches here and there that need the same attention, but not a lot.
Started to do some shading. Toned down the black in the panel lines a bit, then added some shading to the panels. The studio model was very splotchy, and kind of blue/grey, but i'm going for more of a military grey tone. still have some variations, shading, and weathering to do, bu she's getting there. I did the "Sulaco" text a little too big i think, but close enough. Will have to paint the "USS" by hand.
Its also hard to get the colours right in a photo in my hobby room under lights. I'll do some good ones when i'm happy with it.