'66 Batphone WIP

PropReplicator2

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So after starting a build on another '66 BatRadio, I've been viciously bitten by the Bat-Bug, and when I saw this old red phone in a box in the garage I knew it was time to finish this properly. Here is what I'm starting with:
vdwPnVq.jpg

As far as I can tell, these were cast in fiberglass resin so it is my full intention to modify this phone heavily until I have a properly lit fiberglass BatPhone sitting on my desk. There are two versions as far as I can tell: The shorter phone on Bruce's desk and the taller one seen primarily in Gordons office under a decorative glass cover sitting atop a black wooden pedestal. Both seem to be made from the same material (the fiberglass resin mentioned earlier) and look to be virtually the same with the exception of the noticeable height difference.
Batman S01E19 - The Purr-Fect Crime - 0391 (2).jpg

batphonex2.jpg

tumblr_n8efvdTehs1tdfr61o1_r1_1280.jpg

d1VwztJ.jpg

Last edited:
Took this apart last night and fiddled with it for a few hours..
43gEhSG.jpg

Removed and glued the rotary number disk section into the phone body, and after some viscous sanding, with 4 drops of superglue on top to hold it in the correct position and then sealed it with gorilla glue from the inside. There is a noticeable gap between the rotary disk and the rest of the phone body so that will have to be Bondo and sanded later to look like a smooth transition between the two parts. Then cut out a 1.5" disk from some 1/8" sintra plastic and centered a whole so i dont lose the middle for mounting the button later.
544kjCK.jpg

And after looking closer at reference images, you will notice that the phones backside doesn't feature the recessed area in the back like mine does, so that will have to be filled in. On my model all I did was remove a single screw from the inside that held in the curved panel that makes up that recessed area and I will install a piece of sintra there later to fill in the open hole.
TQcv42F.jpg

V5TGfgd.jpg

Now that the smaller details have been taken care of, it looks like roughly 22mm needs to be added to the height of the phone to match the height of the one on Bruce's desk. Will update here once the height is added!

Posted a interest thread for these in the project runs section if anyone would be interested in these after I perfect the casting for these.

Okay first up was the red epoxacoat from smooth on... had high hopes for this but it's definitely not the right one for this build.. no light shows through because its not translucent at all, but it does show off a cool color when applied to the right mold surface. Looks almost like an actual rotory phones plastic haha.
20210407_081313.jpg
20210407_083616.jpg

Going to try some clear cast resins with opaque dyes next.. Will post results as I go.

Last edited:
I was always under the impression the the phones were vacuformed in a translucent red, that’s why the look bigger than the average phone.

Attachments

• 2BBE0D4B-4DFC-4A0C-AF5E-31FC782BDE96.jpeg
    2BBE0D4B-4DFC-4A0C-AF5E-31FC782BDE96.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 117
I was always under the impression the the phones were vacuformed in a translucent red, that’s why the look bigger than the average phone.
That's what I think too about some of them in the first season, and also there are what look like distortions at the bases where the plastic was cut with shears (look at the 3rd image I posted). But when Gordon's phone is lit up, you you can visibly make out the fiberglass strands on the inside. And the phones got sharper and sharper in areas that the details would be almost impossible to catch with a vac former, such as the base of the "towers" on which the phone rests. Just looks like maybe they had issues with the vac formed phones cracking or getting otherwise damaged so they resorted to castings in the later episodes

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back