47 Meters - OK, is anyone actually going to see this?

In my experience, that's not the case. My deepest dive is about 100-110 feet off the continental shelf in the Bahamas. Now, admittedly, I wasn't down that deep for very long, and most of our time was spent at between 1 and 2 atmospheres of pressure, but I didn't feel like I was being crushed. I did equalize my pressure pretty regularly, though, including equalizing the pressure on my mask (which wasn't a high volume mask anyway). The rest of me never felt crushed, though.

47m down, though -- about 150 feet -- is DEEP.

The real issue is how much time you can spend down there, though, and how likely you are to suffer from nitrogen narcosis and/or the bends. NAUI's dive tables say you shouldn't be diving at 130feet (40m) for more than 8 min without requiring a decompression stop at 15 feet depth. You'll also blow through your air a lot faster, assuming you're breathing a standard compressed air mix. And, of course, if you ascend too quickly (like if you're being chased by a shark), you will end up getting the bends. (Although, no, you won't explode at the rate most people tend to swim, though you might rupture a lung.)

Aren't there also issues with descending as fast as they appear to be in the trailer?

Aren't there also issues with descending as fast as they appear to be in the trailer?

I just rewatched the trailer. Yeah, if you don't clear your ears, it'll really hurt, and those full-face masks don't let you clear them the way that I prefer to (pinch nose and blow). The masks look like they're fairly high-volume, too, so you'd feel pressure on your sinuses unless you equalize the pressure in your mask or pop it off and put it back on.

You also have a risk of nitrogen narcosis, and then, like I said, there's the issue of them going up too fast.

The trailer does seem to imply one sort of stupid thing, and one thing that might or might not be stupid.

1. The one girl swims off and it's suggested that she's not swimming up. There's a really simple way to avoid this: follow your bubbles. Of course, if you're suffering from nitogen narcosis, you won't think clearly enough to do that, I guess, and if you're not actually certified to dive, you probably won't think of that.

2. The great white that comes to eat the cage. Unless there's blood in the water, or the girls are really flailing around, mimicking the movements of a distressed/wounded/sick creature, there's just no reason for the shark to attack the cage. It's not shaped like their food and if it isn't exhibiting any signs of distress that the shark would recognize, it'd just be part of the scenery. Sharks aren't malicious. They're just eating machines. If you don't (intentionally or otherwise) tell a shark that you're food, they mostly won't give a crap about you.

Side note: I've been on a shark dive before. Not in a cage, and definitely not with great whites, but in an area where there were hammerheads that could swim by. Mostly, though, it was just grey reef sharks who were used to coming to this one spot to be fed by divers. They're absolutely beautiful creatures. They're like living cruise missiles. They move effortlessly through the water and they make us naked apes look like we really, really don't belong down there.

A buddy of mine saw it last night. He said definately don't waste your money.

Me? I didn't even want to see the free sneak preview!

When I was doing my Rescue Diver certification, they made use do a deep dive on regular mixture to find out exactly what depth we experienced nitrogen narcosis. My partner narced out at 110 feet. I made it only slightly deeper, 115 feet, before I was affected. The thing about it is, there's no gradual change. One foot you're fine, the next foot deeper it's like you've been drinking WAAAY too much. Watched my buddy try to pass his regular to a fish because he thought it needed to breathe. Me, I became completely disoriented and started swimming deeper - the instructor on a different mix had to swim after me, or I would have continued to my demise.

Nothing realistic about this movie whatsoever. And I have no desire to sit through 47 seconds of screaming teenagers, let alone whatever the run time of this farce is.

And stay off my lawn.

When I was doing my Rescue Diver certification, they made use do a deep dive on regular mixture to find out exactly what depth we experienced nitrogen narcosis. My partner narced out at 110 feet. I made it only slightly deeper, 115 feet, before I was affected. The thing about it is, there's no gradual change. One foot you're fine, the next foot deeper it's like you've been drinking WAAAY too much. Watched my buddy try to pass his regular to a fish because he thought it needed to breathe. Me, I became completely disoriented and started swimming deeper - the instructor on a different mix had to swim after me, or I would have continued to my demise.

Nothing realistic about this movie whatsoever. And I have no desire to sit through 47 seconds of screaming teenagers, let alone whatever the run time of this farce is.

And stay off my lawn.

Back when I got certified in the early '90s, my final test dive involved us literally bleeding a tank dry. The instructor was trying to make a point about how you really cannot "run out of air" if you're in full command of your senses. The procedure was to just swim until the tank ran out, and then ascend slowly (we were only down about 30 feet), exhaling as we went. And it's true. If you keep your cool, you will feel it grow gradually harder to draw a breath from the tank, at which point you slowly draw in your last breath, take your reg out, and SLOWLY exhale as you go up at the speed of your slowest bubble. Nowadays, you're not supposed to take a tank below 500psi.

I've done purely recreational diving, but the one thing I've learned from it is that the key is to just...stay cool, man. Stay calm, stay collected, exert as little effort as possible, and just stay relaxed. I've never had a problem running out of air, and I find the entire experience incredibly tranquil.

And can we just say to all the shark cage business owners out there: invest in a new rope every once in awhile. As Adam Savage use to say, "there's your problem.."

47-meters-down-rope.jpg

Yeah, freediving is different. Like mountain climbing, the top is the halfway marker and you're really tired and out of breath. You also get lactic acid build up.
Like the one step ok, two steps drunk; freedivers can get shallow water blackout. They make it almost back to the surface and pass out.
I was dared by a tour boat captain to prove how far i could go down by gabbing a handful of sand. I had been diving a lot and raced to the bottom with out slowly equalizing my ears. I was three feet from the bottom and could not go any further. Way too painful. Then I realized how stupid it was to fall for a dare:)

It's like curving the bullet in Wanted. We all know it's just a movie. People love shark movies. Now I want to see it, Funky!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back