3D printed Robocop Suit V.2020 Build- OCP Visit - Project Complete

Incredible job, makes me want to get off my arse and keep going on mine
Thank you Dave. Trust me I know what you mean. It took a lot for me many a day to get out in the garage and do anything....I would literally have to force myself especially when you put hours in and it seems like you got nowhere but believe it that the work does add up eventually. Now that it's mostly over it's a huge relief and joy to be done with it. I wish you well and hope you get going on it!

Some higher res photos of the finished product.....
51376538338_ee3f9266c6_c.jpg

51377042144_3accd59457_c.jpg

51377041784_4065cbd4b1_c.jpg

51376305991_6b65bd1ace_c.jpg

51375539612_c8bcf50815_c.jpg

51375538917_50b186fc1b_c.jpg

51377040359_18044b504f_c.jpg

51375538287_7da5904e36_c.jpg

Hi Chris,

Suit looks really awesome. I'm about to start printing my suit starting with the helmet. The default size is ok and is maybe slightly bigger than my head which shouldn't be an issue. The problem I've got is the distance between the bottom of the helmet and top of the visor, i.e.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 173430.jpg

If I measure my own head from top of my eyes down to end of my nose it's around 6-7cm. I can't resize the helmet as then it will be too big. So question I've got is what is the visibility like with your helmet? Like can you see out of the visor or is it too low down? I'd rather not spend 2 days printing it to find it doesn't fit, i.e. I can't see out of it.

Many Thanks!

Alex

Hi Chris,

Suit looks really awesome. I'm about to start printing my suit starting with the helmet. The default size is ok and is maybe slightly bigger than my head which shouldn't be an issue. The problem I've got is the distance between the bottom of the helmet and top of the visor, i.e.

View attachment 1498896
If I measure my own head from top of my eyes down to end of my nose it's around 6-7cm. I can't resize the helmet as then it will be too big. So question I've got is what is the visibility like with your helmet? Like can you see out of the visor or is it too low down? I'd rather not spend 2 days printing it to find it doesn't fit, i.e. I can't see out of it.

Many Thanks!

Alex
Hey Alex I kind of had the same issue where the visor hung a little low on my head there is actually a video on my YouTube channel where there is a thumbnail of me holding the helmet up with my hand so I can see out of the visor. To correct the issue you'll have to put some Eva foam for padding inside to help balance out the spots you need. Pretty easy and once you do that visibility is fine. Hope that helps.

Hey Alex I kind of had the same issue where the visor hung a little low on my head there is actually a video on my YouTube channel where there is a thumbnail of me holding the helmet up with my hand so I can see out of the visor. To correct the issue you'll have to put some Eva foam for padding inside to help balance out the spots you need. Pretty easy and once you do that visibility is fine. Hope that helps.
Thanks Chris. Saw your thumbnail and took the plunge printing it. Started with the front so got an idea it will be ok (just about). Then had loads of issues with printing rest of my helmet! I split the model vertically into 3 sections to fit my printer and couldn't get last 2 pieces (middle & back) to print. After a week trying out different things eventually found out that the "combing" option in Cura doesn't work well and kept causing the nozzle to hit the print shift the Y axis. Turning it off fixed my issues and now busy printing. Almost done with the head + neck. Next will be the gluing, sanding & painting. Not looking forward to it! I'll also need to make some big modifications to the chin guard as doesn't fit me well. I may end up making out of EVA foam.

Keen to see how your new wearable suit will turn out (y)

Hi Chris, I'm in awe at your build. I've just started printing mine (do3d files) and I've completed the helmet. (i have to say I'm not impressed with how the sections are supposed to work together)

I assume you'd recommend getting these updated files bud?

Hi Chris, I'm in awe at your build. I've just started printing mine (do3d files) and I've completed the helmet. (i have to say I'm not impressed with how the sections are supposed to work together)

Use DarthAsens files on Cults3d. A lot cheaper and better quality. That's what both Chris and I have used on the remake of our respective costumes.

Use DarthAsens files on Cults3d. A lot cheaper and better quality. That's what both Chris and I have used on the remake of our respective costumes.
Thanks, I'll get them purchased.

I have a question about scaling.... The DarthAsens files say they're for someone 170-180cm...

I'm 188cm (6' 2")... Is there a simple way to calculate what percentage you scale the parts for printing?

Thanks, I'll get them purchased.

I have a question about scaling.... The DarthAsens files say they're for someone 170-180cm...

I'm 188cm (6' 2")... Is there a simple way to calculate what percentage you scale the parts for printing?
Best way is to print fast and try the pieces on. You have a large gap for the torso. we all have different body compositions and muscles, or lack thereof...

I have printed some parts several times in the past when trying them out. It is only time and relatively cheap filaments.

Yeah I would scrap everything DO3D wise and use only the files from Cults3d made by Darthasen as Askernas mentioned. Make sure you get the updated arms from Darthasen as they are more spot on accurate then his original files. I'm 5'11-6ftish 185lbs and I didn't have to rescale anything. The suit could definitely fit someone around the same weight range even up to 6'2. If your waist is above 34 you might have some issues with the midsection. As a hard 3D printed PLA midsection it barily fit me. Since I made a mold of the midsection and casted in foam it resolved the tightness issue of the midsection for me and it's way more comfortable.

It's a daunting task don't be discouraged just stick with it and it will eventually fall in place.

Thanks Chris. Saw your thumbnail and took the plunge printing it. Started with the front so got an idea it will be ok (just about). Then had loads of issues with printing rest of my helmet! I split the model vertically into 3 sections to fit my printer and couldn't get last 2 pieces (middle & back) to print. After a week trying out different things eventually found out that the "combing" option in Cura doesn't work well and kept causing the nozzle to hit the print shift the Y axis. Turning it off fixed my issues and now busy printing. Almost done with the head + neck. Next will be the gluing, sanding & painting. Not looking forward to it! I'll also need to make some big modifications to the chin guard as doesn't fit me well. I may end up making out of EVA foam.

Keen to see how your new wearable suit will turn out (y)
Thanks man! Sounds like your rocking and rolling. The sanding gluing and painting is not fun but it's definitely apart of the journey just try to enjoy all of it as possible because when your done and your looking at the finished product you'll appreciate all the hard work you didn't want to do :). There is definitely a learning curve to a lot of this stuff.....I don't know much about Cura but I know once you get the basics down you should be able to work everything out. There is a guy on Youtube named Frankly Built that does Iron Man suit stuff.... you should check him out he is very Cura savvy and has great informative tutorials. Keep at it brotha look forward to hearing about more of your progress!

Here is a demo video of me putting on the suit for the first time. I really felt like Randy from the Christmas Story and was thinking in my head I can't put my arms down! Haha but testing it out helped me find all my pinch points and where I need to resolve some of the strapping issues. I've since done some tests on the upper arms and they move perfectly now along with everything else! Wearing this suit is absolutely miserable though, I completely understand Peter Weller's pain back in the day and how they couldn't keep weight on him because even just standing in the suit you can't help but just sweat and sweat. I'm a full time Firefighter/EMT and wear my bunker gear pretty regularly for structure fires, training, etc.... so that definitely helped me with not getting too uncomfortable. I highly recommend for anyone doing this suit to maybe add a small fan in the helmet and or chest section to keep you cool. Hope you enjoy a new video and some pics will be coming for Halloween when I wear it for the kids.

Here's a video of the Sound FX that are in the suit. All the sounds are pulled from the movie and it's just a dream realized being able to sort it all out!

Yeah I would scrap everything DO3D wise and use only the files from Cults3d made by Darthasen as Askernas mentioned. Make sure you get the updated arms from Darthasen as they are more spot on accurate then his original files. I'm 5'11-6ftish 185lbs and I didn't have to rescale anything. The suit could definitely fit someone around the same weight range even up to 6'2. If your waist is above 34 you might have some issues with the midsection. As a hard 3D printed PLA midsection it barily fit me. Since I made a mold of the midsection and casted in foam it resolved the tightness issue of the midsection for me and it's way more comfortable.

It's a daunting task don't be discouraged just stick with it and it will eventually fall in place.
Hi Chris

I've bought the DarthAsen files and I need to go through all the RAR folders and get everything arranged. I'll abandon the do3d imminently!

I'm 6'2" and 200lbs with 34-36 waist.

The midsection absolutely needs to be foam/urethane.... do you sell casts of the mold you made? I'm afraid casting a mold myself is beyond my skillset

Hi Chris

I've bought the DarthAsen files and I need to go through all the RAR folders and get everything arranged. I'll abandon the do3d imminently!

I'm 6'2" and 200lbs with 34-36 waist.

The midsection absolutely needs to be foam/urethane.... do you sell casts of the mold you made? I'm afraid casting a mold myself is beyond my skillset
I'm definitely considering doing a run of midsections. Polyurethane products have been pretty hard to get due to the pandemic last year so I'll have to contact my distributor and see if they have my material in stock. I've had some people interested so I'll keep you posted. Just expect something around the $350-400 range for the front and back. It takes me pretty much a whole day to just cast them and the material isn't the cheapest and shipping costs have increased quite a bit. The midsection would come painted.

Building one from EVA foam is also an alternative option if you have the skill.

I'm definitely considering doing a run of midsections. Polyurethane products have been pretty hard to get due to the pandemic last year so I'll have to contact my distributor and see if they have my material in stock. I've had some people interested so I'll keep you posted. Just expect something around the $350-400 range for the front and back. It takes me pretty much a whole day to just cast them and the material isn't the cheapest and shipping costs have increased quite a bit. The midsection would come painted.

Building one from EVA foam is also an alternative option if you have the skill.
If you're doing a midsection run, I'd be up for at least one. Probably two.

I have built mine from EVA foam, but definitely want a polyurethane one, and not the workspace (or experience) to cast one myself.

If you're doing a midsection run, I'd be up for at least one. Probably two.

I have built mine from EVA foam, but definitely want a polyurethane one, and not the workspace (or experience) to cast one myself.
I'll keep you updated. Not sure when I'm going to get to it but just keep an eye out. Thanks for the interest.

Had a blast wearing the suit for Halloween last night. I thought the kids would be excited to see the suit but most of the kids even up to low teens seemed more scared then anything. It was still so much fun! Had the sound going and everything,
Think you even made it onto the local news :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back