3D printed Obi-wan Lightsaber

Just realized I never showed my final piece!

20140517_023259_zps01quoowc.jpg

Any idea when the new model will be available?

Those look great!

Looks like something up with your printer though Kevin. Z-wobble possibly, but the buttons came out a lot better than mine did on the 4 piece.

I just finished my other project, took a bit longer than expected but I think it was worth it.

So I'm back on prepping this with a bit of cleanup and a small writeup. I gotta be done by the 17th, so shortly there after it should be available.

Dude. That is incredible! Have you thought of trying a graflex?

What is a graflex? I thought that was the brand of the clamp?

Vlacrow, I've become addicted to printing this thing! I'm using the parts to test different PLAs and temp settings. I also just did a 60% scaled version for my boys. too much fun, thanks again.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I made a 50% one during testing and I use that for testing paint combinations. It has just the right amount of ridged surfaces with grooves (grenade) and smooth round surfaces.

Graflex is the brandname of i.e. a vintage 4 x 5" camera and the flashgun attached ... so he's talking about Luke's ANH lightsaber ;)

Chaim

I've never been a big fan of using 3d printing technology to build entire props for some reason. Perhaps it is because I don't like to see replicas of metal props reproduced in anything other than metal. Maybe it is because I think 3d printing, although very cool and a difficult technology, is an easy way out in the prop world. That being said, this build blew my mind! Your weathering job is truly incredible, as is the level of detail. Wicked cool!

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. Always wanted a Obi-wan saber but I'm not a rich man.

I bought a copy off ebay made of PLA. The paint app was good in some places and so so elsewhere. The print grain was tight so I thought I'd give it a go. Decided it was a bit of a fixer upper and figured I'd have to add weight to it to make it feel substantial.

In hand I was surprised by the detail. Colour me sold on 3D printing. It is the future.

I opened it up and filled it with old nails and epoxy until it was heavy enough for my liking. Then I matched the finish of the grenade with the screen used prop. I coated the areas that should look metal in silver plumbing tape. Then I sanded and aged the areas appropriately. After that I added the screw and d ring. Overall it came out much better than I expected.

Taken from the auction:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

And after I had a go at it:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 163
Excuse me for asking, but about how much does it cost to get one of these printed? I looked on Ebay where there's two currently up for auction, one for $200 and the other for $250 (buy now of $750). Clearly they're asking way too much, especially since the source design is free, right?

That's crazy... Roman had one up there of his, weathered, for I think 600 something... 750 is nuts

Last edited:
If you're printing on a home printer, materials aren't all that much. Time is the biggest factor. Having it printed at shapeways would be better quality, but a higher price

That said, I was really disappointed to see this on ebay :(

I hope that doesn't dissuade Valcrow (and others) from offering up great pieces like this

i cant wait until april so i can get my 3d printer. i was one of the first backers for the mod-t 3d printer on indiegogo snagged for $150 plus $90 shipping to the uk. current price for new backers is $250. this is the first thing i want to print im absolutely blown away by by the quality does anyone know if a luke rotj saber is the works

Excuse me for asking, but about how much does it cost to get one of these printed? I looked on Ebay where there's two currently up for auction, one for $200 and the other for $250 (buy now of $750). Clearly they're asking way too much, especially since the source design is free, right?

Kevin's right, it is certainly not worth 200$+ unless printed on shapeways. (in which case it may actually cost more... but I doubt anyone putting it up for sale would have gone that route especially since it was designed specifically to print easily on a standard FDM machine.)

The plastic itself is relatively inexpensive, but it takes roughly 20 hours to print if you're going for a decent print resolution. Then painting ontop of that, unless it's really nicely finished, I don't think it's worth the 200$+

If you or others are looking for a printed one, instead of going on ebay, to simply locate a local printer to see how much they would charge to have it printed and pick it up, or ship. You won't have to pay hefty shipping + paypal/ebay fees, and your quote should be far cheaper. You can try 3D hub to find a local printer.

Can't wait for the 14 piece version! :) Great work!

It is coming soon, I submitted it to Ultimaker a while ago so they should have it up in a little while. If you want to mod it, paint it or add weight to it, it will be far easier with this one. Printing however will be more challenging.

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. Always wanted a Obi-wan saber but I'm not a rich man.

I bought a copy off ebay made of PLA. The paint app was good in some places and so so elsewhere. The print grain was tight so I thought I'd give it a go. Decided it was a bit of a fixer upper and figured I'd have to add weight to it to make it feel substantial.

In hand I was surprised by the detail. Colour me sold on 3D printing. It is the future.

That turned out great! Though as I said above, it would be better to find a local printer than to go through ebay especially if you're painting over a painted one. But still end result is great!

That said, I was really disappointed to see this on ebay :(

I hope that doesn't dissuade Valcrow (and others) from offering up great pieces like this

I don't mind seeing it on ebay, I kinda expected it from making the files available to the public, but I feel a fair price would be more appropriate... I sincerely hope people don't buy it at those 200$+ pricepoints. The whole point of 3d printing is so that things can be produced economically and locally to reduce the need for shipping.

Price gouging on ebay with kind of a shoddy paint job feels a little bit sleezy. But free market will be free. Perhaps I should have put some one ebay first so that the price would be set. Buy a 'support the designer' lightsaber. :p

i cant wait until april so i can get my 3d printer. i was one of the first backers for the mod-t 3d printer on indiegogo snagged for $150 plus $90 shipping to the uk. current price for new backers is $250. this is the first thing i want to print im absolutely blown away by by the quality does anyone know if a luke rotj saber is the works

Congrats! I hope that printer works well, it would be great to have a 250$ printer option. There are no current plans for an Rotj Lightsaber as of yet (at least from me).. I have a few projects on the go before revisiting this stuff, maybe after the 14 piece gets released.

That turned out great! Though as I said above, it would be better to find a local printer than to go through ebay especially if you're painting over a painted one. But still end result is great!

Thanks. I did the research and it was cheaper than Shapeways. Didn't think to look locally. The modifications I made (adding weight internally and chroming the clamp, pommel and emitter) I would have made to any version I purchased regardless. The paint app was for the most part very close to what I wanted. I only had to tone it down and age it to my liking.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back