3d modeling stormtrooper helmet pep test

Stymie924

Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker here. I have been messing around here these last couple of days on some 3D stuff and have actually found a way to get Pepakura up and running on my Mac (more on that later). My main interest in Pepakura is for creating large sculptures but I wanted to try my hand at making a stormtrooper helmet--just for myself. I have always wanted one and I thought this might be a good way to have some fun modeling the helmet and trying out Pep. First, I created a template in Lightwave 3D and created a model using pictures I found on Star Wars Helmets. The helmet I used as reference was made by someone named Jason. These were the first good pictures I found.

I modeled the helmet one poly at a time in Lightwave and then took my .obj file into Zbrush to monkey with the proportions a little bit. Now notice that this is nowhere near screen-accurate. I am missing the ears, teeth and other pieces. I wanted to just get a good shape. The overall model took me about 2 hours. And that was with the kid having a playdate and me having to run back and forth... Anyway, I then exported back to Lightwave and added some more to the bottom and then I opened the completed helmet in Pepakura.

Now I do use a Mac. Forgive me if this has been covered before for Mac users but I actually am using Boot Camp to and VMware fusion to creat a virtual PC on my Mac. I needed it for some other stuff and figured out that I get run Pep on it too--which is way cool. Anyway, I just wanted to see whether this would work for me or not. I should point out that I haven't actually printed this out and tried to assemble it yet. I am still breaking up the pieces for the printouts. Still, I cannot wait to try. We'll see what happens. Anyway, please let me know what y'all think. Thanks so much y'all.

Wow, thanks! I actually just went through my old bookmarks and this was one of the first ones that popped up. But this is really cool. Thanks.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back