30" Tantive IV Blockade Runner from 3D printer

dtssyst

Sr Member
I am currently in process of printing parts to make a 30" Blockade Runner.
I have been wanting to print and build this for a while now. The Saturn printer makes this project possible along with learning how to split and support the parts.

Here is my progress so far.

The last photo shows that the main parts slot together. They are not glued together yet.

wsnzNUV.jpg

pyAcGJN.jpg

fh9C7Ma.jpg

kQjVT1j.jpg

eiwJ5QV.jpg

vXWDeG0.jpg

IAXYWO3.jpg

Very cool. Looks like the Merlin Models 3d model? I have one in the stash that I'm puzzling over before I break it out and take a crack at it.

SB

It is the Merlin Models kit. I bought the 3D kit files when they were first available. I see that they have since updated the files. I really wish I had there AT-AT stl files. I would love to print and build that!

The detail on this is actually AMAZING.

Looking great! I have this same set of files and I can't wait for my Jupiter to arrive so I can print these files. I second your comment on the AT-AT files, would be awesome to print those, they do such a good job!

Nice works so far, really inspires me to break out my set of files and get printing.

Merlin Models are selling the STL on Etsy for $49!! I got a set yesterday and it's pretty damn good. Well worth the money!

Merlin Models Etsy Page

Looking forward to running this through my new Elegoo Jupiter!

Cheers

Nice! I plan to do the same. I bought these files way back when they first released them but of course, I had no way to print them, until now :) I want to see if I can scale it up to 36" using the Jupiter, good luck to both of you, looking forward to some updates!

I am currently in process of printing parts to make a 30" Blockade Runner.
I have been wanting to print and build this for a while now. The Saturn printer makes this project possible along with learning how to split and support the parts.

Here is my progress so far.

The last photo shows that the main parts slot together. They are not glued together yet.

View attachment 1567926
View attachment 1567927
View attachment 1567928
View attachment 1567929
View attachment 1567930
View attachment 1567931
View attachment 1567932
Very cool! The parts look great! I bought these files too. Are you using the pre-supported files or did you slice them yourself? Which slicer did you use? Sorry about all the questions, but I tried slicing my files in Lychee pro but the model loaded with a lot of unfixable errors. Contacted Merlin and they said don't use Lychee. Thoughts?

Very cool! The parts look great! I bought these files too. Are you using the pre-supported files or did you slice them yourself? Which slicer did you use? Sorry about all the questions, but I tried slicing my files in Lychee pro but the model loaded with a lot of unfixable errors. Contacted Merlin and they said don't use Lychee. Thoughts?

Just my 2 cents, I have the free version of ChituBox which I don't think has the functionality like Prusa/Lichee to "fix" the files. I loaded a few of the larger parts of this ship into ChituBox and didn't have any issues. I have printed over a hundred parts on all three of my resin printers and I have never repaired a single file, so take that for what it's worth :)

Having said that, the Prusa slicer does have the feature to fix them, I loaded one of the files and it detected 36000+ errors, which is odd and does seem high, but I have printed that same part (the main fuselage) with ChituBox on my Saturn and did not have any issues and the files were not repaired.

Not sure if that helps or not...

Just my 2 cents, I have the free version of ChituBox which I don't think has the functionality like Prusa/Lichee to "fix" the files. I loaded a few of the larger parts of this ship into ChituBox and didn't have any issues. I have printed over a hundred parts on all three of my resin printers and I have never repaired a single file, so take that for what it's worth :)

Having said that, the Prusa slicer does have the feature to fix them, I loaded one of the files and it detected 36000+ errors, which is odd and does seem high, but I have printed that same part (the main fuselage) with ChituBox on my Saturn and did not have any issues and the files were not repaired.

Not sure if that helps or not...
Thanks for taking the time to comment! It does help quite a bit. Both Lychee and UVTools picked up on a ton of islands as well. Did you add your own supports or did you use the pre-supported version? With all of the islands that were detected, it seems that the pre-supported version is greatly under supported.
Thanks again

Thanks for taking the time to comment! It does help quite a bit. Both Lychee and UVTools picked up on a ton of islands as well. Did you add your own supports or did you use the pre-supported version? With all of the islands that were detected, it seems that the pre-supported version is greatly under supported.
Thanks again

I used the pre-supported parts when I printed the two most forward parts, the middle and the top but I would not go that route again. Almost any time you have something that is flat facing towards the screen, as shown in the attached image, you can lose some resolution. Not sure exactly how to describe it but often sections like the one circled go a bit 'flat' and the print is not as sharp as it should be as kamandi called out above.

When I re-print all of this larger on my Jupiter I will support it myself and tilt it at a slight angle to avoid that. I had the same issue on the rear of the bridge section.

There are some sketchy parts for sure as shown in that last image :) I didn't have any issues printing it, all I can say is make sure your printer is 100% calibrated. When I am doing these large prints (especially on the Jupiter) I calibrate every time I put in resin, even if it's the same brand. Failure on my Jupiter when it has 2 or 3 full bottles of resin starts to really add up $$$

Attachments

• ship_1.png
    ship_1.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 68
  • ship_2.png
    ship_2.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 71
  • ship_3.png
    ship_3.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 73

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back