2017 Modeling Goals

StevenBills

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Happy new year, all. I got this idea from somewhere else online, but 2017 is the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, and what better way to celebrate it than making (arguably) the most iconic sci-fi spaceship of all time? I've had a FM 1/72 Falcon hanging over my head for a while now that I've been itching/dreading to build, and it's a good excuse to get started.

SO!

Let it be known here and abroad that my one single modeling goal for 2017 is to do justice to the 1/72 Fine Molds Millennium Falcon kit. I've never lit any of my kits before, but I'd really like to light this one, proper ESB style.

Does anyone here have any goals in 2017 related to modeling? Maybe we can use this thread to keep each other in-check with our goals. Just a thought.

SB

Good luck and yep! My main kit builds are:

- Metropolis Robot to paint
- Bandai R5-D4 to build
- Bandai K-2SO to build
- Bandai Falcon to build

Plus scratch builds of:

- TARS from Interstellar (might start that tomorrow as it's a bank holiday and I have no primer but a LOT of styrene)
- Dr Satan's Robot
- Gort from the Day the Earth Stood Still

I only managed three builds in 2016 so we'll see how far I get with those :)

My goal is to build my first lit model too. I'm part way through painting the Bandai A-Wing. As far as lighting goes it is pretty straightforward, but I'll stick to the engine lights and leave cockpit lighting for a later build.

my goals, together with my son:

start on a battlestar galactica TOS from scratch (not completely screen accurate or such but just to do stuff together with my son)
make a han solo blaster from scratch.

Aside from an R5-D4 this Christmas, I haven't built a model kit in about 30 years.

This year I'm going to make the ultimate Bandai Falcon.

I'm planning on continuing to build multi-part 3D printed models...next up will be an "Oblivion" sentry drone.

Other than that that I will be building some sci-fi kits, attempting to get my basic building and painting skills up to par so that I can eventually tackle a 1/350 Enterprise.

For 2017, I hope to either build a scratch build sci-fi Tank , or complete a 1:48 scale B-17 or B-24J Bomber. I have not decided which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 2017, I hope to either build a scratch build sci-fi Tank , or complete a 1:48 scale B-17 or B-24J Bomber. I have not decided which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you be scratch building an original design, or putting together a model of something from an existing franchise?

Interesting idea

For building models: finish my A-wing I started a few days ago, build another x-wing

I think that I'm going to learn how to use chalk pastels for weathering, I've been wanting to try them out.

For other props: finish luke ESB lightsaber, Vader ANH lightsaber, Han Hero DL-44, Han Hoth idealized DL-44, Luke Bespin DL-44, Han ROTJ DL-44

I should probably start my MPC Falcon, but I suspect it will take more than a year.

I had the FM 1/72 Falcon sitting in the closet for years because I had all these things planned for it. I wanted to fix the mandibles, magnetize the landing gear and ramp so I could display it landed or in flight, replace the radar dish, scratch some interior stuff etc..

I did pick up a lighting kit for it, and I did get the photo etch grills, but with everything else I had planned to make it the "ultimate" Falcon, it just languished there because I had set up such daunting tasks.

Finally back in the fall of 2015, I got fed up with it just being a expensive box in my closet and decided to just go and build it as is, only adding the lights and grills.

It was very satisfying to end up with a finished model of it, and it looks amazing detail wise. I display it on my desk in work and no one asks why the mandibles are parallel, or why it is too flat compared to the 5 ft falcon let alone even noticing it is the 32" "stunt" replica.

So something I have learned is to manage my expectations. If I try to accurize every single kit I buy, I'll never get around to building anything That's not to say I can't go to town on a kit here or there, it's just that I shouldn't bury myself in unnecessary modifications that most people won't notice. Save those for something that really needs the help (like the Revell kits)

My goal is to get through my stash of unbuilt model kits ;
9 plastic model kits
3 R/C Kits
8 Balsa Airplane Kits
before I buy anymore (don't know how I long my will power will hold out!)
I probably have enough stuff to keep me busy for 5 years not just 2017!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back