2001 Monolith build

Yesterday I showed a friend the work I have done so far on both the Monolith and the site.

I was asked why Im digging a huge trench and not just stick to digging two holes for the 4X4 posts to sit in?

My answer was that I think that I'm going to need more weight down in the ground to hold the monolith in position for years without it bending over in the strong North Dakota winds.

He also questioned my planned use of plastic corner bead?
And this part Im not sure about as well.

I want to end up with nice edges to the Monolith, and I was thinking that drywall corner bead would get me there with the smallest money spent.
But I will see if after I attach some of the corner bead if it looks like its going to workout ?

I have been disappointed in the advice I have received from the lumber yards where I have been asking questions about how to finish the Monolith.
Almost everyone there suggests hanging chicken wire and mixing stucco .
But the money and the work to do that would be far out of my range.

Sometimes I think they just tell me that because they sell chicken wire and stucco

Good call on adding those 2 bracing pieces across the main vertical ones! More surface being buried in concrete. Yes, as we have said/demonstrated, the concrete amount goes up real fast while trying to secure such a structure. Buying more concrete than less is a good idea.(y) I don't think the stucco would be a good finish for that Monolith; wind and various type of weather might wreak havoc on the structure.
Unlike stucco on the facade of a house, this one is exposed on all side...and that what will make the finish the most important part of that project(y)(y)

Good call on adding those 2 bracing pieces across the main vertical ones! More surface being buried in concrete. Yes, as we have said/demonstrated, the concrete amount goes up real fast while trying to secure such a structure. Buying more concrete than less is a good idea.(y) I don't think the stucco would be a good finish for that Monolith; wind and various type of weather might wreak havoc on the structure.
Unlike stucco on the facade of a house, this one is exposed on all side...and that what will make the finish the most important part of that project(y)(y)
one lumberyard guy kept suggesting I cover the Monolith in house siding.....

I dont think he was into sci-fi movies....

I think I will lay out the power cords to see if I have the length to get all the way back to the monolith site?
434875609_7599027250135963_8290117551051403698_n.jpg

437272523_446292728059236_7017612336182108118_n.jpg

a last look back before I head indoors for the night.

The Monolith is ready on this side to have the special tape put on the joints, and then the corner bead placed,

Im not sure that will happen tomorrow due to the weather.
its snowing now as I write this, and it may just turn to rain tomorrow.

But still Im happy with how things are looking so far...

April 19/2024
Way too cold to work on the Monolith today!
The forecast is saying only a high temp in the 30s, with wind and some snow likely.
It's nasty out for sure

Monolith Project update:

I did get at the lumberyard some special black tape, that is suggested to work with the type of OSB of the Monolith>
I also got some plastic drywall corner bead,,,but....Im now not sure I will use them?

Im going to see how this is going to go with the tape and see if I really need to add the corner bead?

I also now have a super-secret plan for the painting of stars on the black of the monolith.
its just an idea I have had but I never told anyone about until this moment.

There is a line , I think its found in the book,,,"My God, its full of stars"

Not everyone will know about that line.
But some might, and so i was thinking that I might try to paint in the middle of the black Monolith some stars by doing what I see some YouTube artists doing, by flinging white paint onto a black wall....

Im not sure how it will look, and if I dont like it I can just paint black over it again...

But its an idea Im thinking about.

Last edited:
this video might be hard to see, but it is showing that we are getting snow again....

this is going to slow down my progress today for sure...

Attachments

• 439645222_7699805413412249_1056215538747953240_n.mp4
    1.7 MB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back