1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Project: Full Screen Accurate Build

se7en-whats-in-the-box.gif

Amazing prop build!! Such a tribute to these beloved movies. I hope this amazing Ect0-1 will be shared with fans and with children when it is complete! I would love to visit it and gawk in wonder, that's for sure!!!

Amazing prop build!! Such a tribute to these beloved movies. I hope this amazing Ect0-1 will be shared with fans and with children when it is complete! I would love to visit it and gawk in wonder, that's for sure!!!
Absolutely! After doing all this work on it I don't plan to keep it hidden away in the garage. I'm really wanting to show it off to kids and adults, alike! I want everyone to enjoy it. If you are ever in the Salt Lake City area, look me up. You are welcome to come take a peek at it.

Absolutely! After doing all this work on it I don't plan to keep it hidden away in the garage. I'm really wanting to show it off to kids and adults, alike! I want everyone to enjoy it. If you are ever in the Salt Lake City area, look me up. You are welcome to come take a peek at it.
I would LOVE to take you up on that. It is going to be breathtaking in person!!

I'm a few days late on posting the big reveal. So sue me. lol Here is my new piece, a piece I've spent years trying to track down. I chased so many leads and always hit a dead end. Ah, it's a thing of beauty.

Only the diehard, hardcore builders and fans will know about this piece. It's never shown in the film, and can only really be seen when you take the rear Proton Pack gurney out, or open the rear passenger driver side door.

53455949308_71ce515e0c_c.jpg

53454899982_a6d31b012f_c.jpg

What the heck is it? (In the real world)
I would have thought that was something the prop dept hacked together if I saw it in the Ecto... except for the Honywell logo, that kinda makes look like a found thing... Was it made by Honeywell, or was the one in the screen-used vehicle owned by them at some point? (Can't tell if it's a manufacturer label or a company asset tag...)

Amazing the things people have tracked down, identified, and then try to find more of on these things... (Ecto and the BTTF DeLorean, just amazed at hoe people have tracked down nearly every screw used on them... :) )

That's totally what I would've guessed! :lol: Looks amazing.

Haha, you should have guessed that, you would have been right. lol It is really cool to finally have this. Another step closer to being the most accurate Ecto-1 out there.

I'm definitely on a roll, I received another hard to find, screen accurate piece. It's another piece I have been searching for for a very long time. I'll post pictures when I get a moment.

What the heck is it? (In the real world)
I would have thought that was something the prop dept hacked together if I saw it in the Ecto... except for the Honywell logo, that kinda makes look like a found thing... Was it made by Honeywell, or was the one in the screen-used vehicle owned by them at some point? (Can't tell if it's a manufacturer label or a company asset tag...)

Amazing the things people have tracked down, identified, and then try to find more of on these things... (Ecto and the BTTF DeLorean, just amazed at how people have tracked down nearly every screw used on them... :) )

As for what it is? I have absolutely no idea. It's just one of those things the production company pulled off a shelf and threw in the car. It is a Honeywell part, but again, I have no clue what the thing actually does. All I know is that this a top control panel for a much larger unit, which original sat below it.

Here is a picture to show what it originally went to. You can see the 3 panels sitting atop those large red machines.

53470886355_349d2339c1_z.jpg

It's quite something, eh? I just know I wouldn't have been able to find a fraction of the things I've got had it not been for others taking pictures, posting pictures, talking within group pages. It's a lot of fun when everyone works together. But unfortunately that isn't always the case, there are also a lot of bad apples in these hobbies and I've been burned by quite a number of them.

Wow...your dedication to this project is putting the "Bar of Details" really high:cool::cool:(y)(y):love::love:

Thank you. :) This has been a labor of love. And you want to talk crazy details, just you wait. hee hee I have been working on a particular piece for the car, ie, getting it designed, laser cut, welded, and put together. It's about 85% finished but I don't want to show it off just yet, not until it's done. This is a part you won't find in anyone else's vehicle.

And when it comes to the details, when building this car you have to ask yourself, do I want to base it off the original 1984 car, or the crappy 2009 refurbished car, which quite a lot of people do. I think it's safe to say I'm going with the original 1984 car. lol But the details on the 1984 car are a little more scarce. I'm just having to work off pictures that were taken before that miserable restoration, because almost all the remaining original details were lost during that restoration, stickers removed, things painted/covered over, etc. It's just a joke with what they did.

I'll be posting more picture of what I've found. As I mentioned in a post above, I finally located another piece I have been for for many years.

Stay Tuned

Oh wow, that's a control panel from a 60s era main frame computer (or possibly storage system, based on all the tapes next to them)... Sort of like one of the components of this system:

Damn, that's even more impressive that it still exists and you were able to find it! I would think most things like that have either long since been scrap-heaped, or being saved by someone with the crazy idea of getting one of these mainframes operational again...
Nice find for sure.
I'd love to know the places the studios dug through to find stuff like that! :)

Oh wow, that's a control panel from a 60s era main frame computer (or possibly storage system, based on all the tapes next to them)... Sort of like one of the components of this system:

Damn, that's even more impressive that it still exists and you were able to find it! I would think most things like that have either long since been scrap-heaped, or being saved by someone with the crazy idea of getting one of these mainframes operational again...
Nice find for sure.
I'd love to know the places the studios dug through to find stuff like that! :)

Yes, I do believe you are correct. I've looked at that picture many times and I've seen the tapes in the background, but have no idea what kinds of tapes those are.

Thank you very much. Yeah, I've been going crazy looking for this thing, through the years I've been posting on all different sites. Someone reached out and said that they thought they had one. I got send a picture, confirmed it's what I was looking for and, bob's your uncle. Very grateful it hadn't been scrapped. lol

As for where the studio dug through to find all these pieces, I'm sure they just hit up all different surplus places, just grabbing what they thought looked good enough to use. It would be cool, though, to know where they hit up. I'm sure those places are long gone.

Yes, I do believe you are correct. I've looked at that picture many times and I've seen the tapes in the background, but have no idea what kinds of tapes those are.
Those are the tapes look like in old-school reel-to-reel computers tape drives. When they remove them, they place them in cylindrical plastic containers that have hooks on them so they can hang in racks like that. The same tapes the woman is loading into one of the machines in the image I posted above of the yellow computer system.

I think they made top-loading type tape drives as well, and that might be what the red boxes are in your picture. Or those might be that 'new, fancy hard drive' based technology :) with the old types stacked around in case they needed to access them...

I suspect, way back in the day, there were a lot of 'junk surplus' stores around that had all kinds of industrial stuff in them... The only one I know of that still exists in the LA area is Luky's in Burbank:

Not a huge store, so they have more of the smaller type stuff, but there's usually some large, weird things sitting outside the store during business hours...
And there were some junk yards that the military and companies like Boeing, Grumman and others would dispose of stuff in that you could buy as surplus equipment. Jet and rocket parts, stuff like that... But I'm not sure if any of those are still around, or open to the public... I suspect that's where parts came from in movies from the 70s/80s/90s that we've discovered came from helicopters, fighter jets, airliners and the like. (Like the holoprojectors on R2-D2 being reading lights from an older model airplane. Not the kind of thing you find at Radio Shack... :) )

Those are the tapes look like in old-school reel-to-reel computers tape drives. When they remove them, they place them in cylindrical plastic containers that have hooks on them so they can hang in racks like that. The same tapes the woman is loading into one of the machines in the image I posted above of the yellow computer system.

I think they made top-loading type tape drives as well, and that might be what the red boxes are in your picture. Or those might be that 'new, fancy hard drive' based technology :) with the old types stacked around in case they needed to access them...

I suspect, way back in the day, there were a lot of 'junk surplus' stores around that had all kinds of industrial stuff in them... The only one I know of that still exists in the LA area is Luky's in Burbank:

Not a huge store, so they have more of the smaller type stuff, but there's usually some large, weird things sitting outside the store during business hours...
And there were some junk yards that the military and companies like Boeing, Grumman and others would dispose of stuff in that you could buy as surplus equipment. Jet and rocket parts, stuff like that... But I'm not sure if any of those are still around, or open to the public... I suspect that's where parts came from in movies from the 70s/80s/90s that we've discovered came from helicopters, fighter jets, airliners and the like. (Like the holoprojectors on R2-D2 being reading lights from an older model airplane. Not the kind of thing you find at Radio Shack... :) )

It's just unfortunate that we'll never know what any of these things are, it's all obsolete technology. And anyone that worked on this stuff, who knows how to get in touch with them?

The great thing about the past, there were tons of surplus places. These places are becoming few and far between. As for this Luky's place, I've never heard of it. But like every other surplus place, looks like they've turned it into a hardware store. I guess what do you do when you run out of surplus parts? Gotta do something to stay in business.

I'd love to go check out that airplane boneyard out in Arizona. I have heard a lot of prop pieces have come from there. I'd love to check out some of the older planes, maybe find that missing Ecto part.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back