1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Project: Full Screen Accurate Build

DeLoreanDMC81

It's been a very exciting run so far. I had the opportunity to purchase a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse back in 2019, and I took it.

It was/is in really great condition. It came from Arizona so very minimal rust.

47093270044_67065619ad_k.jpg

47882610251_786c20909a_k.jpg

40916151193_75f22a6bd6_k.jpg

47093269034_67cb51560f_k.jpg

I already know what most of you are saying, No, that car is too good to ruin. Well, a hearse is not what I want, I want an Ectomobile.

Last edited:
No, an Ecto is definitely the right answer. I would have accepted "epic luxury road trip camper," but then you wouldn't be here. Just please please do it, do it right, and take us along for the ride. :)

That Caddy is in amazing condition for a 63 year old! Did the seller know what you were planning to do with it? If so, what does he think?

No, an Ecto is definitely the right answer. I would have accepted "epic luxury road trip camper," but then you wouldn't be here. Just please please do it, do it right, and take us along for the ride. :)

Haha, that's pretty much what this car is. I'm sure plenty are happy that I'm not building an epic camper, this will be much cooler. ;)

That Caddy is in amazing condition for a 63 year old! Did the seller know what you were planning to do with it? If so, what does he think?

This is definitely not a build for the faint of heart. This is so much work. And actually a lot of work has already been done, which is really good.

This is a really nice, solid car, especially for its age. As for the previous owner knowing what was going to happen to it, the answer is, no. He would not have sold it to me had he know what the ultimate plan was. I will tell you this, he would have a massive heart attack to see what has happened to his car.

Thankfully it's no longer his property and I can do whatever I want with it. Plus, it's going to bring more joy to people's faces, vs. if it was a hearse.

The way I see it, the work required to turn it back into a hearse - if one so desired - would be far less than converting a hearse into an Ecto. The poor condition 59 MMs only get saved and fixed up because Ghostbusters fans want it - not because a hearse fan wants it!

Now before I started to tackle this transformation I said that if I wasn't able to find the window trim, or any of those pieces, I wasn't going to start tearing this car apart.

Well... I actually found all the pieces and parts I needed, and the tearing apart commenced. mwah ha ha

What's even cooler is that I found the Flite-Fin trim pieces. Those are the chrome pieces that run the length of the car and separate the white and red colors. The only pieces I couldn't find were the long pieces that run the length of the fins. So if anyone knows of anyone that might have it, please let me know. :)

Oh, and I also found the screen accurate gurney, for the Proton Packs.

47830738912_ac2375096d_c.jpg

32938249727_18611187e1_c.jpg

I realise you're quite a way from thinking about the door logos, but when the time comes I'd appreciate it if you'd consider using my Correct Ghostbusters logo for ECTO-1 file ;)
What?! No way! That is freaking awesome!! I will make you this promise right now, I will most certainly be using your logo. :D That is the most correct one I've seen. Amazing work on your end. I love it!

The thing about me is that I want to replicate everything about the original car, the best I can. When Sony did their "restoration" (I use that word very loosely) a lot of thing were completely changed and/or removed. Really took away the originality. So I'm hoping to not do that with my car. And you're logo is the perfect example.

Nice find, esp. in that shape. Nothing worse that a rotten body on (or in) a hearse.
Hahaha, that's too funny. :lol:

I know what you mean, though. My buddy is building a Ecto-1A with his '59 Caddy. That thing was a mess. He's put a ton of work in on it and has brought it back from the dead. You can follow his build progress over on Facebook: Northern Illinois Ecto-1A

Hahaha, that's too funny. :lol:

I know what you mean, though. My buddy is building a Ecto-1A with his '59 Caddy. That thing was a mess. He's put a ton of work in on it and has brought it back from the dead. You can follow his build progress over on Facebook: Northern Illinois Ecto-1A
Well, those quotes are fast and furious (wrong movie:lol:) "brought it back from the dead" is also a pearl(y)
Eager to see your next update!

I did actually take the plunge and started removed the rear, passenger side panel.

Let me tell you, that was no small task. First I used a propane torch to melt the lead and scrap it out of the way so I could see where the welds were located. Second, Dremel all the individual welds, both inside and outside. And let me tell you there were so many spot welds. Holy cow!

I'm doing everything in my power to preserve each individual piece, and not destroy anything. I know it probably would have been easier and faster to just use a cutter and cut the piece out. But I wouldn't have know where the pieces are underneath. This way insures that I'm not ruining anything underneath.

And can I just say, I'm super grateful that all the necessary window channels are were hidden under those panels.

Before:

49504255067_3ca8f0bb0e_z.jpg
[/url]

After:

49504042846_be8d9d0d48_z.jpg

Last edited:
Another front view of that side panel being removed. I couldn't believe how many of those spot welds there are! I guess I should count my blessings that it wasn't just 1 continuous weld. I'm sure that would have made this removal a bazillion times worse.

And let me tell you, this panel was ridiculously heavy when lifting it out.

There was also 2 cross member bars under there that needed to be cut out.

The fun never ends.

49506437776_3e73a23492_c.jpg

49506684672_b7c648019c_c.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back