Correct Ghostbusters logo for ECTO-1

ZeroSum

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I wanted to share something I’ve been working on. This is the GB logo correct to the Ecto-1 from 1984.

What makes it correct? Not a huge amount! We know the logo itself appeared in slightly altered forms throughout the movie, eg title graphics, overall patches, firehouse sign etc. They’re all a little bit different and the version found on the Ecto-1 is a little bit different again. The most common version of the logo is what you’ll see on just about everything GB related – all of the merchandising, all of the marketing etc since 1984 up to the Ecto seen in GB:Afterlife. That logo is pretty much the “Official” logo.

car logo.jpgscanned logo_sml.png

Here’s the ’84 Ecto-1 version from a screenshot of the movie versus a scan I took from the cover of the Visual History book (the “official” logo). Ignoring the scan artefacts, the major difference is Mooglie’s right hand is shaped differently in the fingers and in the webbing between thumb and forefinger. There are very slight differences in the facial features and some linework. This is the only version of the logo I have seen on the 84 Ecto-1.

Here are some more examples from stills and a screencap from a promotional video:

MV5BYjMwNzg3MmQtNTdjYS00ODNhLWIxNzgtMDdlNjhkMWY3NmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5MjU4NDM@._V1_.jpgMV5BYTk3NzBhNTItZTJiNy00ZTZjLTk2ZWEtMjA1ODJmY2I1YTg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY0NzcxNw@@._V1_.jpgvlcsnap-00001.png

So, with that history lesson over, I present my replication of the ’84 Ecto-1 logo! I haven’t seen this reproduced anywhere else – not even on an enthusiast’s Ecto-1 replica!

First is a scalable vector graphic (attached as a zip file) and a super-duper-hi-res-but-small-file-size png generated from the svg.

png:
84 Ecto-1 logo.png

The important thing to note about those is that the white of the ghost is a solid white, whereas the white background is actually transparent. If you want a version with a transparent ghost for turning into a decal or whatever, just edit the svg and delete the layer with the ghost.

I hope this is useful to someone. Use it how you wish - the IP of the logo doesn't belong to me. Only the effort put into recreating it is mine, so I hope it doesn't show up on some Etsy store for a fee.

I realise this logo is probably all highly esoteric to a lot of people but it would be cool to see it reproduced on an Ecto-1 model or perhaps even a replica!

Attachments

• 84 Ecto-1 logo.zip
    15.8 KB · Views: 77
I think this is so cool. I would love to put this on my Ecto when it's finally finished.

Would you be able to put in that area of white, the area above his left shoulder, where the red and black meet? And there is an area where his waist is, where the bar comes across, again, between the red and the black. Here are a few pictures to show what I mean:

This one is the front door, and you can clearly see those white lines within those areas I mentioned above.
51931018117_d6e67069f2_c.jpg

Here is the logo on the rear loading door. Again, those white areas are present.
51932328859_0342f8383a_z.jpg

Funny enough, you don't see that look on the passenger side door. Just that white area above his left shoulder. Like what you have in your pictures above.

Glad you like it! I should be able to sort out a version of that. I'd originally ignored those white bits as I figured they were some kind of misalignment in the printing or application of the decal. But if you're keen to replicate a warts 'n all approach, then I'm down with that! :lol:

Glad you like it! I should be able to sort out a version of that. I'd originally ignored those white bits as I figured they were some kind of misalignment in the printing or application of the decal. But if you're keen to replicate a warts 'n all approach, then I'm down with that! :lol:
I think it’s great. As many times as I’ve looked at all the older pictures of the car I’ve never noticed the differences in the ghost. So that’s freakin awesome. Just glad you pointed it out now before I started working on those door logos.

Absolutely, I’m trying to replicate even the smallest, finest details that have been overlooked.

Heck, I even want to first paint my car the brown color, then paint it white. That way the brown will come through on certain areas, just like the original car had. So that shows the level of my OCD. haha

So if you could do those white areas on this logo, that would be amazing! ☺️

I wanted to share something I’ve been working on. This is the GB logo correct to the Ecto-1 from 1984.

What makes it correct? Not a huge amount! We know the logo itself appeared in slightly altered forms throughout the movie, eg title graphics, overall patches, firehouse sign etc. They’re all a little bit different and the version found on the Ecto-1 is a little bit different again. The most common version of the logo is what you’ll see on just about everything GB related – all of the merchandising, all of the marketing etc since 1984 up to the Ecto seen in GB:Afterlife. That logo is pretty much the “Official” logo.

View attachment 1554997View attachment 1554998

Here’s the ’84 Ecto-1 version from a screenshot of the movie versus a scan I took from the cover of the Visual History book (the “official” logo). Ignoring the scan artefacts, the major difference is Mooglie’s right hand is shaped differently in the fingers and in the webbing between thumb and forefinger. There are very slight differences in the facial features and some linework. This is the only version of the logo I have seen on the 84 Ecto-1.

Here are some more examples from stills and a screencap from a promotional video:

View attachment 1554999View attachment 1555000View attachment 1555001

So, with that history lesson over, I present my replication of the ’84 Ecto-1 logo! I haven’t seen this reproduced anywhere else – not even on an enthusiast’s Ecto-1 replica!

First is a scalable vector graphic (attached as a zip file) and a super-duper-hi-res-but-small-file-size png generated from the svg.

png:
View attachment 1555003

The important thing to note about those is that the white of the ghost is a solid white, whereas the white background is actually transparent. If you want a version with a transparent ghost for turning into a decal or whatever, just edit the svg and delete the layer with the ghost.

I hope this is useful to someone. Use it how you wish - the IP of the logo doesn't belong to me. Only the effort put into recreating it is mine, so I hope it doesn't show up on some Etsy store for a fee.

I realise this logo is probably all highly esoteric to a lot of people but it would be cool to see it reproduced on an Ecto-1 model or perhaps even a replica!
Not esoteric at all (even if I love the reference)!!! Admiring and grateful for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, here's is the tweaked version, including the misalignments seen on the car. There are the little request gaps between the black and the red. I'm guessing these wear originally printed as two separate coloured decals and applied individually, which accounts for the errors. I've tweaked the hue of the red ever so slightly to lean a little more orange. TBH, it's hard to say there's a definitive red for this logo, since any screenshots are always affecting by lighting and film colour timing.

One thing to note about this is that I've knocked out the white - all white-appearing areas are in fact transparent. I'm not sure this makes too much of a difference to to a commercial printer who is producing this for a car but It should help anyone printing this at home on transparent decl or sticker paper.

84 Ecto-1 logo v2.png

Attachments

• 84 Ecto-1 logo v2.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 43

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back