15 ft tall ATST

FreddySchramm

I'm going to use my stimulus check to build something I've always wanted. Half scale ATST measuring about 15 ft tall.
I know there's a lot of ambitious projects out there that never really get finished but the way I'm going about this should make it relatively simple enough to finish.

These are some plans I drafted up. I'm not going off of any of the standard or the graphic drawings of this you'll see on the internet, the proportions aren't to my liking, I'm going more towards the physical full-scale props proportions than the stop-motion scale models.
IMG_20210322_212129.jpg

My plan is to weld a steel skeleton out of 1' x1' square tubing 1/8th thick ( That's the darker lines with angle stripped in the top illustration) and welded to a reinforced square frame that will keep it grounded that'll be about 10'' x 10'' with room for added weights. And I'll have detachment points so it can come apart like patio furniture.

IMG_20210322_212145.jpg

The cockpit however is going to have a frame made out of PVC piping so it's not too top heavy and I can save a little bit of a buck.

98 percent of the good looking bits are going to be made out of different thicknesses of pink insulation foam layered on top of one another. Bulk pieces can be assembled in reassembled using bolts and T nuts.

To start I'm making a model out of foam core so I can figure out exactly how much pink foam I need to order. I scaled it out so one piece of foam core will equal a one inch thick piece of pink foam.
PXL_20210403_225508742.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210404_235647733.PORTRAIT.jpg

To save money I'm trying to figure out where I can cut corners and chop up the inner parts of the walker So I can get more parts per foam sheet. Here's an example of the inside of the ankle Just to to help me weigh my options to see if it's worth buying more sheets to get complete parts or just pieces them together like a puzzle.
PXL_20210404_205224111.jpg

PXL_20210404_205244021.jpg

I ordered some 3/16 square dowels online that I'll use to make a mock-up of the welded frame but until then I'm just taping up this assembly just to get an idea of how much it's going to be.

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_212145.jpg
    IMG_20210322_212145.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
I'm going to use my stimulus check to build something I've always wanted. Half scale ATST measuring about 15 ft tall.
I know there's a lot of ambitious projects out there that never really get finished but the way I'm going about this should make it relatively simple enough to finish.

These are some plans I drafted up. I'm not going off of any of the standard or the graphic drawings of this you'll see on the internet, the proportions aren't to my liking, I'm going more towards the physical full-scale props proportions than the stop-motion scale models.
View attachment 1443775

My plan is to weld a steel skeleton out of 1' x1' square tubing 1/8th thick ( That's the darker lines with angle stripped in the top illustration) and welded to a reinforced square frame that will keep it grounded that'll be about 10'' x 10'' with room for added weights. And I'll have detachment points so it can come apart like patio furniture.

View attachment 1443777
The cockpit however is going to have a frame made out of PVC piping so it's not too top heavy and I can save a little bit of a buck.

98 percent of the good looking bits are going to be made out of different thicknesses of pink insulation foam layered on top of one another. Bulk pieces can be assembled in reassembled using bolts and T nuts.

To start I'm making a model out of foam core so I can figure out exactly how much pink foam I need to order. I scaled it out so one piece of foam core will equal a one inch thick piece of pink foam.
View attachment 1443778
View attachment 1443780

To save money I'm trying to figure out where I can cut corners and chop up the inner parts of the walker So I can get more parts per foam sheet. Here's an example of the inside of the ankle Just to to help me weigh my options to see if it's worth buying more sheets to get complete parts or just pieces them together like a puzzle.View attachment 1443782
View attachment 1443783
I ordered some 3/16 square dowels online that I'll use to make a mock-up of the welded frame but until then I'm just taping up this assembly just to get an idea of how much it's going to be.
sounds like you've really planned this through really well, I wish you success :)

PXL_20210414_010514691.jpg

I'm doing a mock-up of the steel frame.

These 3/16 wooden square dowels are scaled perfectly to represent the 1x1x.120 steel tubing I'll be welding together.

PXL_20210413_230125676.jpg

PXL_20210414_005817455.jpg

I'm not a structural engineer, but I know the fundamentals. I want to see what's going to take the most stress in what I'll need to enforce on my original design on paper. Overall it looks pretty sound so far. Didn't have to change much from what I had on paper.

I might end up welding some flat sheets to reinforce sides of the structure to give it a little more strength in certain areas. This was able to take the weight of my limp arm on it and not wiggle around too much, which is what I really wanted to see. Though it's not scaled to weight, I'm pretty confident in this holding up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back