13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - Official Trailer - YouTube

Based on the 2014 book 13 Hours by Mitchell Zuckoff. It is the true story of the six members of a security team who fought to defend the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, after the attack of Islamist militants on September 11, 2012, the 11th anniversary of September 11, 2001 attacks.

Directed by Michael Bay and written by Chuck Hogan. The film stars James Badge Dale, John Krasinski, Toby Stephens, Pablo Schreiber, Max Martini, David Denman, Dominic Fumusa, and Freddie Stroma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Having a hard time with this one.... I don't know if it's the "too soon" factor or the "does the truth of this event exist yet?".

Then there's the fact that it's being made by Michael Bay... and has the guy from The Office in it as a bada$$ operator guy.

Feels more like Hollywood exploiting a tragedy for profit than an opportunity to tell a real story.

Yes, probably too soon. The incident has been very politicized for years.

There was no battle. It was just a protest with towed anti-aircraft guns. How do you make a movie about that?

The talking heads seem to think it's worthy of discussion. For years on end.

Which is how you know the source material wel
will be ignored...and this is how you honor those events!? Pearl Harbor anyone?

Best one that played it straight was Zero Dark Thirty, give me more of that and I'm game

There was no battle. It was just a protest with towed anti-aircraft guns. How do you make a movie about that?

It's Michael Bay so you start by blowing up the anti-aircraft guns and then continue to blow stuff up.

Haha... as long as it says "This is a true story" and there are lots of guns and explosions and beards this movie will pretty much define this event as historical fact. They could probably throw a few Transformers in it and people would still believe it was real. Kind of like "United 93" and "The Perfect Storm" were dead on accurate...

Kind of like "United 93" and "The Perfect Storm" were dead on accurate...

Have you ever read the Perfect Storm novel that the movie came from? The movie's take is more accurate than you might think.

We don't know exactly what happened to the Andrea Gail. But everything in the fictional telling was drawn from specific real incidents the author had collected. All of those roll-your-eyes implausible things in the movie really did happen to somebody like that ill-fated crew at one time or another.

the problem with movies like zero dark thirty and now 13 hours is these ops still have parts that are classified. we might not get the full story of what happened for years.

Just got back from seeing this and it was great! Right up there with "Lone Survivor", "Blackhawk Down", and "We Were Soldiers". It left the politics of the situation at the door but I'm sure it will leave audiences wondering "why did no one come help them?". Not your typical Michael Bay fanfare at all, there were a few explosions that had his signature sparks and stuff but no over the top slow mo stuff.

We don't know exactly what happened to the Andrea Gail.

Exactomundo... so the only thing that could be "true" about it is everything up to the point where they got on the boat and left and everything after the boat went down.

I don't know about too soon . maybe ? Not for me personally i thought it was a good flick I enjoyed it. And as far as the truth hell we are still finding out new truths about Pearl harbor to change the history books even today like the Japanese mini sub's and the like .

I saw this movie the other day. Knowing little of the true story I thought it was a good film with decent action and a good story. So the next day I started doing some research as much of it is still classified I could not find much. Still not sure if it is based on a true story or not but overall a good film. Good story some good action sequences and some definite comedic and sad moments. I personally feel being only 30 it will be the Black Hawk Down for the millenial generation. Only time will tell if it a true story or not. Either way it was pretty good but I am bit of a military and action movie buff.

Really loved this film. They kept the politics out of it.

Focused on the contractors and the events. A very well made film. I agree that it's up there with black hawk down and we were soldiers.

Funny how the government said it was just a protest regarding a small film. When it's been revealed over the past months that it was a big lie to hide this terrorist attack

I recommend people checking out the governments public reports on this event. Interesting read.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back